Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking Distance for Puppy Enquiry

Options
  • 18-02-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Hope someone can help, my wife and have a 10.5 week old puppy she is a cross between a King Charles and a ****zu. Over the last couple of days we have been walking her in a near by woodlands on like some forest track terrain we walk her for about 3kms it takes about 35 to 40 mins, she doesnt pant or look like she is tiring. My main enquiry os this distance ok for her every day? As a rule of thumb is there a marker or guide what is a safe distance to be walking you dog?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

the dog is a king charles & shtzu cross breed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Jesus im sorry but that is far too long for such a young pup. 15-20 mins max for a walk is more than enough, if you want to break it up then bring it on 2 small walks a day, 10-15 mins each walk.

Their bones are still growing and they wouldnt be able for such long walks. Has the pup all its injections too?

Hi Andreac

Thanks for the reply and the advice, yes the dog has had all its injections parvo etc she had her 3 lots of the various jabs so she is up to date with eveything. Will she ever be able to go for a longer walk when she gets bigger?

We have her on a strict diet of food aswell, the vet recommmened burns dry food she loves it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I have a 13-week old Cav King Charles Spaniel and 20 minutes max is what she can handle at a time. Though I find that, if she gets tired, she'll just flop down and refuse to move (luckily, this only happened once- in the snow crossing a busy street with the green man flashing :rolleyes:). When out walking, we usually bring a ball or something and walk to the beach or a park so we can exercise her on the way and then she has more exercise "playing" when we get there. At lest, when she's playing, she'll lie down or just saunter around so I think she regulates her own exercise a bit.

3km in 35 minutes is fairly fast-paced, though so I'd be inclined to think it's a bit much for now.

Maybe cut her down to bringing her 1km then playing for 20 mins and walking back again? That way, she's getting loads of fresh air and exercise but she's a little more in control?

• Advertisement

Oh of course she will, its just when they are young they are still growing and still very young and a big walk like that could really exhaust them and do damage so just gradually build up the walks so until the pup is around 6 months to a year then, but 10 weeks is still far too young for walks, its more playing in the garden that you should be doing as oppose to walks. Just a little 10/15min down the road and back is enough really.

Fair play with the food too, thats a very good brand of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RubyBrown

I do think that is far too long for her at the moment.If she enjoyed it,then maybe a 10/15min walk in the morning and the same in the evening that way she has something to look forward to.
    She is still very young,i would also suggest sticking to the same route so she familarises herself with it and that way build up her confidence and then as she gets older you can extend her walks a little longer and little further as appropriate to her age.
    Dont push her too much too soon,just enjoy her and the time will come when she will be able for longer walks.Good Luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I would go along with the general consensus above. I have heard somewhere to go with 5 minutes for every month of age - so your (3 month old) two and a half month old should be walking 10 to 15 minutes a day max.
    We've got a 12 week old rottie who will be going out this weekend for her first walk but it will be literally down the road and back again.

Kildara, you got a rottie? Lovely, im a rottie owner too. You know you are meant to restrict their exercise until they are fully grown as they are a large breed and they can have problems with their joints until they are fully grown. Just something to note.
    Where did you get her? was the breeder recommended to you? Would love to know her pedigree history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

5 minutes per month is accepted standard I have read too. Then play with toys etc at home on top of that and your pup should be well exercised.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice, I have cut down the walking in line with all your suggestions thanks again everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

I JUST WANTED TO SAY WELL DONE FOR RECOGNISING THE IMPORTANCE OF THE WALK AND GETTING OUT THERE AND DOING IT!! FAR TOO MANY OF US, MYSELF INCLUDED, DONT WALK THEIR DOGS OFTEN AND LONG ENOUGH LET ALONE TOO LONG. YOU ARE STARTING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

5 minutes per month

so if he is 4months old - twenty minute walk etc..

Advertisement