Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaktar vs Spurs [match thread]

Options
  • 18-02-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Talk of a weakened squad having travelled: King, Woodgate, O'Hara, Palacios, Lennon and Cudicini not travelled I've heard, Modric a doubt with a knock picked up in training, Defoe out long term, Keane/Paylyuchenko/Corluka all inelligable. Allegedly, 8 of the 20 man squad are academy players, who have less than 90mins senior action between them.

Jol got a bollocking for daring to leave Lennon and Berbatov out of the Cup game at Samford Bridge...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Jaysus, well I guess with the League Cup final and all our efforts going into staying up, the UEFA isn't anywhere near a priority. Maybe it is an idea to try and blood some youths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Squad posted up on FTL:

Goalkeepers: Heurelho Gomes, Oscar Jansson

Defenders: Gareth Bale, Chris Gunter, Michael Dawson, Calum Butcher, Adam Smith, Pascal Chimbonda

Midfielders: Didier Zokora, David Bentley, Tom Huddlestone, Jermaine Jenas, Gilberto, John Bostock, Dean Parrett, Ryan Mason

Forwards: Darren Bent, Giovani Dos Santos, Fraizer Campbell, Jonathan Obika

Starting XI?

Gomes
    Gunter
    Dawson
    Chimbonda
    Bale
    Bentley
    Zokora
    Hudd
    Jenas
    Bent
    Campbell

?

Would love to see Gio get a run on the left of midfield, and I was very impressed with Adam Smth in Rotterdam in pre-season. There's rumours Parrett might get a start as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

a very weakened side indeed travelling but harry has said his priority is satying up and there is the small issue of a cup final. would rather have seen a strong side play there and if we get beat throw out a weak team in the second leg just before the final if progressiing to the next round is not realistic. especially with having the weekend off last week with the fa cup on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Balto Yid

Would love to see gio get a run, i think the uefa is great place for the young lads to get some experience, obika looks handy as does danny rose.Hopefully bostock will get 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I can't see that team getting a win over there,a draw would be a very good result i suppose. as much as i love to see us do well in Europe i think Harry has his priorities right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Very Under-strength squad, although I still think we have a chance of getting tru the tie. If we get a draw or only a minus 1 deficit, I can see us doing them in the home tie. Plenty of experience in the team, so I'll go for a 2-2 draw tonight !!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

to be honest I am not expecting much tonight, no more than a one goal loss would be good. Really think that next Thurs he will play the same weakened team so overall not expecting to go through. Hull monday and then CC have to be our priority now. Though in saying that I will still be p*ssed off if we dont go through. I would love to see Bostock and Obika getting a good run, their confidence must be sky high at the moment so you never know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

I'd take a draw and no injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

whats the point of trying to qualify for europe if we just put out a reserve team.i know the league is the piority but if we get a good hiding tonight it will only undermine the teams already fragile confidence.
    shaktar are a good side and will enflict enough damage to give us too much to do in the return leg.2/3-0 to shaktar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

hotspur147 wrote: »
    whats the point of trying to qualify for europe if we just put out a reserve team.i know the league is the piority but if we get a good hiding tonight it will only undermine the teams already fragile confidence.
    shaktar are a good side and will enflict enough damage to give us too much to do in the return leg.2/3-0 to shaktar
    I would disagree - if we put out our first team, that would include, Keane, Corluka, Woodgate, BAE, Palacios, King, Lennon, Pav and Modric and got beat I would agree it would shake "the teams" confidence in the next game at Hull, and then the CC - But the point is, none of these players are playing and the ones who are with the exception of maybe Bent, Bentley and Gomes will not be playing in those games, so confidence is not an issue - plus the first teamers that are playing tonight know they have an understrength teams, so no big deal deal if they loose it was not down to them - the management made the decision!

Bottom line is, the team the management all know what the clubs priorities are, and UEFA is not one of them this year.

Sorry but risk of injury/fatigue is a bigger risk than losing the game or any confidence for the next match - for the reasons stated above I don't think it will make much difference - yes a win would be a bonus for the club, so I see this as a "nothing to loose game" and see us going out with a fairly relaxed and positive attitude (something missing from our games for a while)

Watch and relax tonight, this will be one of the few Spurs games I will sit and enjoy for once! maybe a chance to see some young lads, great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

As far as i know, Gareth Bale hasnt travelled over either. Picked up a virus I've heard.

A score draw is the best result we can hope for imo. If only Juande had registered Taarabt, then all our problems would be solved. ;)

Would like to see Bostock get a game. He's been progressing quite well it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

am looking forward to this one aswell,to seeing some young lads getting a game to see what ability they have.Obviously i would like us to progress but its clear Harry does not have any interest in the UEFA,so any kind of result tonight would be a great outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PEC

BEING AN OPTIMIST I THINK WE WILL GET A RESULT TONIGHT

I don't get the resting players argument lads, Keane/Pavlychenko/Corluka will all be available next Monday night. I can take it if we've a load of walking wounded, but this smacks of rolling over to me. Yeah the next few games are important, but we have resources in certain areas...

At least with the FA Cup tie we had a number of players carrying knocks.

Jol was reprimanded for doing the same IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

I don't get the resting players argument lads, Keane/Pavlychenko/Corluka will all be available next Monday night. I can take it if we've a load of walking wounded, but this smacks of rolling over to me. Yeah the next few games are important, but we have resources in certain areas...

At least with the FA Cup tie we had a number of players carrying knocks.

Jol was reprimanded for doing the same IMO.

I think he is more worried about injuries - apparently the pitch is awful - plus Modric and Lennon are both carrying knocks, Bale has a virus and the rest are either out long term or ineligible - who else would you play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

the link above was removed from that site!

http://www.justin.tv/inglater/popout

working fine thank jebus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Pile of sh*t. From the players that should play better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PEC

HAVE TO AGREE .THOUGH NOT A GREAT MATCH AT HALF TIME THOUGHT THEY WOULD SNATCH A GOAL IN THE SECOND HALF:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

terrible performance.i feel sorry for dawson,he's the only one of that bunch who knows how to defend.once the 1st one went in i just knew they would get a 2nd.
    gomes and zokora should be left in the ukraine and made walk back to london.

• Advertisement

zokora! what were you at for the free that led to the first goal? gomez what were you at for the first goal? injured after it? from ****ing what?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

Gomes is an embarresment,whether hes flappin at crosses or lying on the ground pretending hes injured(funny how it always seems to happen when he fcuks up)Get up you dick,your not injured your just ****e!!

As for bentley!!Dont even get me started,what exactly is he good at??He is USELESS!:mad:!Jenas,another typical performance by the invisable man.

I feel sorry for dawson because the lad isnt the most talented player in the spurs team but i can only wish that some of the other players had at least half the heart he has.Disgarceful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Gomes is a bottler lads. I wanted to believe in him but now I just think he's clearly not got what it takes. thank christ we have cudicini now and hopefully we may get most of our money back for gomes in the summer.
    Hopefully Harry guts the squad come summertime. :mad:

agree dawson was good today lads. defended solid the whole match. plays with his heart on his sleeve all the time.

young parrett did well too i thought. after that.......... never thought id agree with pat dolan but gomez.. your a pretender. you made a balls of that goal n looked like you got a bang of a train. shame on you. i wouldnt sell you a spurs shirt if i worked in champion sports and you came in for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Another bad night for Spurs :rolleyes:.Harry said in an interview later that he will put out the young lads in the 2nd leg aswell because its 4 days before the cup final, so it looks like were out of eufa..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

bringing cudicini in was a good move but play him please....gomes is a flapper. harry shud hav brawt another goalie in on loan 4 the rest of the season 2......maybe foster of united...needs match pratise if he wants to make the england squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Balto Yid

thats a crap decision by harry to play the kids again next week, surely our squad is fit enough to play more than 1 game a week, ok i know the cup final is 3 days later but are utd going to field a below strength team for their champions league game and the cup final????? i don't think so

also i think gomes should be fined 4 weeks wages for his bull**** play acting!!! that lad isn't fit wear our shirt, any time he makes a mistake now he acts injured, he is a disgrace!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Complete and utter rubbish.
    Everyone of them were crap bar the young lad Parrett who i thought did ok, and Dawson was'nt too bad. The rest should be a ashamed of themselves, not that they'll probably give a fcuk.

The keeper should never play for the club again, he's a ****in joke. Aswell as being crap, he's another cheat, similar to the prick in goal for Milan who went down at Parkhead.

I am hugely dissapointed in Redknapp following last night performance and squad selection. We are meant to be a big club, and here we are doing our best to get knocked out of Europe. And I wont accept the ****e about Monday being out priority, and last night does'nt matter. They are profesional footballers paid silly amounts of money who are pampered like fcuk, and yet they cant play on a Thursday before a game on a Monday night, pull the other one Harry.

Hatch99 wrote: »

I am hugely dissapointed in Redknapp following last night performance and squad selection. We are meant to be a big club, and here we are doing our best to get knocked out of Europe. And I wont accept the ****e about Monday being out priority, and last night does'nt matter. They are profesional footballers paid silly amounts of money who are pampered like fcuk, and yet they cant play on a Thursday before a game on a Monday night, pull the other one Harry.

+1.

Had last weekend off so should have been well rested, Corluka/Pav/Keane all ineligible last night so should be fit and able to play Monday. King hasn't played since when? Last appearance was 45 mins vs Pompey in January. Palacios can't play next Sunday so should feature in the next two games IMHO, Sick of listening to his excuses, it's not as if we had half a team of walking wounded, he chose to leave players at home and it backfired badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

team lineup
    Gomes
    Gunter chimbonda huddlestone gilberto
    giovani palacios O'Hara Bale
    Obika Campbell
    subs
    jansson
    Bostock
    Parrett
    Butcher