Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One for C and C

• 18-02-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

blue%20beach.jpg

Not sure about the Blue effect I put on this, I was experimenting after shooting on a very dull day :)
    C and C appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Where it was that photo taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Duchovny wrote: »
    Where it was that photo taken?

Close to Kinsale, Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Very nice image - reflection, waves. b&w might work better tho, and I'd crop from just a bit left of the first stake (just after the boat/rocks on the beach)

(Your sensor needs a clean ;))

xshayx wrote: »
    Very nice image - reflection, waves. b&w might work better tho, and I'd crop from just a bit left of the first stake (just after the boat/rocks on the beach)

(Your sensor needs a clean ;))

Thanks. Had tried a few black and whites but will give it another go with photoshop.....

I think it was sea water on the lens rather than my dirty sensor ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

It seems to be a bit too dark to me.
    Clone stamp for sensor dust and a bit straightening would help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I really like the darkness, gives it the feeling of twilight. The blue is just a smidgen too saturated - looks a bit fake in some areas of the sky, but itd be a shame to go mono and lose it altogether i think. you'd end up with lots of dark greys rather than rich blues and i think itd affect the mood.

It might be worth playing with the crop to take some off the left and the top, to play up the symmetry with the reflection and the line of poles receding into the distance, and lose some of the dark bit at the left that takes your eye away from the water.

I likes it :)

BW conv. as suggested:Garretstown_feb_09_BW%20copy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I think it loses a lot of it's potential in that BandW conversion and could be a lot better.

Do you mind me asking how you did it?

I would be very loath to download the pic and do it myself, but if you have Lightroom i can send you a preset that is fantastic for black and white conversions?

Personally i like the original, but i might just push the highlights and the purples just a tiny bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Dragan wrote: »
    I would be very loath to download the pic and do it myself, but if you have Lightroom i can send you a preset that is fantastic for black and white conversions?

Whats the name of that preset Dragan or is it one you developed yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Lots of B&W presets around for LR B&W,just google. Read this tutorial which was very interesting also

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-high-contrast-black-whites-in-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

I think it loses a lot of it's potential in that BandW conversion and could be a lot better.

Do you mind me asking how you did it?

Personally i like the original, but i might just push the highlights and the purples just a tiny bit.

Fancy sending on that lightroom preset?

OP, where is it near Kinsale? Its not Garretstown at low tide is it? Nice pic, but the conversion needs work. B+W is better, but needs to be tampered with. IF you post up the original id like to have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just my quick take on it. upped the levels and cirves and desaturated the blue's a bit with some burning in of the sky where it got blown out.

bluebeach.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

My very dodgy hack-job on it! :p

dodge_effort2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

great processing gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

quick muckabout..

bluebeach-1.jpg

btw, i suggest you clean your sensor! dust bunnies! :eek:

Ballyman wrote: »
    Whats the name of that preset Dragan or is it one you developed yourself?
    kgiller wrote: »
    Fancy sending on that lightroom preset?

OP, where is it near Kinsale? Its not Garretstown at low tide is it? Nice pic, but the conversion needs work. B+W is better, but needs to be tampered with. IF you post up the original id like to have a go.

If you guys want to drop me a PM with email addresses in it i will send them on to you.

Dragan: Unfortunately I don't use Lightroom: I only have CS3. But thanks.

From what I rememeber:
    I used a BW conversion in photoshop, upped the blues dropped the reds. Added more contrast ant then altered Hue saturation to get the dark blue. I'm sorry don't remember what I did exactly.

Thanks to you all, some really nice conversions that put my attempts to shame.:)

link to full size original

And yes it is one of the beaches near garretstown at low tide: although I still got soaked setting up the tripod so the tide wasn't that low :D;)

Kinsale and Garretstown are great places to go for photography. I had a go at processing in lightroom, hope u dont mind. And ya, loads of dust spots.

attachment.php?attachmentid=73148&d=1235046083

Oops, just noticed the dust spot at the top of the picture. Oh well.

Also didnt see u have put up the origianl file. This version was done from the posted pic at start of thread.

Here :) Looks a bit better now sans artifacts...

article-0-045AFFB90000044D-862_468x323_popup.jpg
    Thanks to all of you who noticed my dust bunnies, they have been dealt with ;)
    Hadn't realised how dirty it had got :o

• Advertisement

Hey Crispin. Seeing as you didn't mind people's giving it some post processing i did these two examples for you. One black and white and one retaining the natural colour in the shot.

n603231486_1896672_748.jpg
    n603231486_1896673_1958.jpg

Hey Crispin. Seeing as you didn't mind people's giving it some post processing i did these two examples for you. One black and white and one retaining the natural colour in the shot.

Don't mind at all. Impressed at the response to be honest. Given me a lot of food for thought..... :)
    really like your second version!

kgiller wrote: »
    Kinsale and Garretstown are great places to go for photography. I had a go at processing in lightroom, hope u dont mind.
    Don't mind at all. really like that version. I love garretstown for photography; always kite surfers, surfers and horse riders down there too which make great subjects.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Really interesting to see everyone's take on the same image :)

Xiney wrote: »
    Really interesting to see everyone's take on the same image :)
    Maybe an idea for a regular slot in the digitial darkroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

op where is the pic? can't see it..

congo_90 wrote: »
    op where is the pic? can't see it..
    It's definitely there, try reloading page :)

Decided to have another, slightly different take on it..

Here

Here

I like this version a lot more than the other version you did. Looks really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Crispin wrote: »
    Maybe an idea for a regular slot in the digitial darkroom?

I think this could be a great idea for digital darkroom / photo challenge
    One could post a high detail jpg/tiff or a raw file and people can PP it and give details on what they did etc

As I look below and think wow, so many different versions etc

Here

Nice one dude, agree with KG here ( any Tenacious D fans will understand that i have always wanted a reason to say that ), much prefer it to the first one.

Here

Really like that. gives it a real eerie feel to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Here's my effort.. :rolleyes:

73228.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Carpaydiem

My effort.....
    73234.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

He, that's so funny to see! We had a fella coming to the club in Drogheda yesterday to do some judging, and it's funny coz he said

"Some people loathe digital amendments, I think they are great. And I would love to give a photo to several people and see how they turn out after they are done digitally editing them. I'll bet ya, no 2 versions will be the same"...

He should come have a look here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Here's a quick 3from moi:

73235.jpg

73236.jpg

73237.jpg

Advertisement