Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering jobs Dublin

Options
  • 18-02-2009 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello all,

I am planning a move back to the Dublin area after the summer 2009 but am worried about the job prospects.

I am a structural engineer and there has been nothing advertised now for months in the area. Is there anyone who works in this field and can let me know how things are going generally and how the might be likely to go over the next year or so. Any opinions at all would be great.

If there is nothing on then I'll have to postpone the move frown.gif((((((((((

There doesn't seem to be much work anywhere in the country. Is it that bad everywhere?

Thanks very much

Niall

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm a site civil and structural engineer. Nada, zilch, zero work in field. Any company I know of that are at present building do not know what their next project is, if any. There are many uncompleted projects that have been made safe then deserted. Most projects that had gone through tender but not yet started are shelved. There is a worry by many people that we're in a recession and times are bad...it hasn't even began.

I'm generally an optimist and don't generally go with the herd but this area of work has evaporated with no signs of recovery. Banks have cocked up big and the government are ineffective. Two things our industry rely on to operate productively.

I'm at present considering work in S.A on world cup works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Have to agree - from what I've heard there is very little in the way of jobs.

I know of a friend of a friend who was working as a civil engineer in Dublin who got made redundant in November and ended up emigrating to Australia because there was no chance of getting a job in Dublin.

Advertisement