Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCPS clamp issue

• 18-02-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Having an issue with NCPS at the moment. I have two parking spots with my apartment. One is below ground and one is above ground. I don't usually use the above spot as we only have one car. Last night the gates were broken so I couldn't park underground. I went to my above ground space to find a car in it, the third time that has happened in a week. I called to have them clamped and they said I could park in a visitors spot in the mean time. So I get up this morning to find my car clamped. I called them and they said I had parked in the wrong area without a visitors permit. I live in temple gardens and I parked in temple court, the parking spaces run in opposite sides of the road, about eight metres apart. When I called I wasn't told I needed to park in temple gardens specifically. The same thing happened last week and I was told I could park in any visitors spot and I wouldn't be clamped. I have spoke with them on the phone but they refuse to back down or give any leeway. They say I must pay the fine and make an appeal. Judging by the way they are on the phone I imagine my appeal will be met with a no and I will have lost my money. I don't really want to pay the fine as I feel it's not entirely my fault. What are my options here? I have the use of another car so leaving the clamped one there is no problem. I also have the use of a generator and angle grinder. Where do I stand if I remove the clamp myself by cutting the closest link to the padlock? Causing minimal damage to the clamp itself. A clamper in the past told me they took someone to court who removed a clamp and he was looking at having to pay €5000, but that could be just scare talk from him. Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd start by calling your management company, they're the ones who employ the clampers on your behalf so I assume the clampers will have to do as they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

My car was clamped by NCPS outside my apartment when I was out of IRL for 10 days while it was parked legally. When I called first they couldn't find record of my car being clamped and that delayed removal of clamp by 1 day. Next day I saw NCPS clamper in my estate and asked him to sort things out. He said you need to pay lum sum amount which came out at 365 euros to get the clamps removed. He himself said that they dont clamp any car where my car was parked and ask me to make a appeal after paying lum sum amount. I paid it same time and made an appeal twice. But this NCPS buggers have no courtsey even to reply..so I went to solicitor and he has sent out a letter to them 2 days back. Hope I should get my full refund with apology.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd start by calling your management company, they're the ones who employ the clampers on your behalf so I assume the clampers will have to do as they say?

+1. I made a mistake by not calling management company in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd start by calling my local builders providers and enquiring kindly about an angle grinder. I would then make the necessary arrangements to protect my own vehicle from sparks etc etc, and proceed to cut the said clamp off.

Easiest way to ever remove a clamp. Especially when the clamping company tell you one thing, but do another.

Do not pay the fine, you will never see it again no matter how much you appeal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you pay you will never see the money again.

Go to the management company, try to get them to sort it.

Failing that, cut the clamp off and dispose of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'd start by calling my local builders providers and enquiring kindly about an angle grinder. I would then make the necessary arrangements to protect my own vehicle from sparks etc etc, and proceed to cut the said clamp off.

Easiest way to ever remove a clamp. Especially when the clamping company tell you one thing, but do another.

Do not pay the fine, you will never see it again no matter how much you appeal it.

And be brought to court for damaging a clamp? No thanks I rather pay the 80 quid. The clamping companies have the cards so stacked in their favour that they very rarely loose in court and so are happy to take it all the way if necessary.

If the car is on private property, there is not much a clamping company can do, as they are holding your car illegally against your will. I think there was a thread on it here a while back, but no, you cant be brought to court for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I know there was a guy last year who won his case in the courts for removing a clamp himself. I think he was on some college grounds when it happened. I have the angle grinder but no generator. I have access to power in the nearby bin store so I'll use that. I have called the management company and the block next to mine is covered by another management company so they don't want to hear about it. I'll try to find out the name of the other management company and give them a call. Though my experience of management companies is that they want to do as little as possible to help you anyway. If I remove the clamp am I better to leave it there with as little damage done to it as I can or to dispose of it so there is no evidence of me cutting it off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I would cut the lock off the clamp. When the clamper arrives id say that i felt i was clamped in the wrong and this was the way i was appealing it, and to comprimise id offer to pay for a new lock.

They would not be too expensive.

Let them try and prosecute you for damaging a 15 euro lock. See how far they get.

Eitherway to avoid a prosecution you are entitled to be dealt with under the adult cautioning scheme.http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/law_enforcement/adult-cautioning-scheme

This is not legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I've had trouble with NCPS before!!! not anymore!

This is the way to deal with them, I've had no action taken against me by the guards (who were phoned), the security company (who filmed me taking it off) and not a peep out of NCPS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

This is the way to deal with them, I've had no action taken against me by the guards (who were phoned), the security company (who filmed me taking it off) and not a peep out of NCPS!

Fair play to ya Stealthy, nice Pics.
    Maybe we need a thread on dealing with these low-lifes and a DIYer's guide to clamp removal.

Chief--- wrote: »
    I would cut the lock off the clamp. When the clamper arrives id say that i felt i was clamped in the wrong and this was the way i was appealing it, and to comprimise id offer to pay for a new lock.

They would not be too expensive.

Let them try and prosecute you for damaging a 15 euro lock. See how far they get.

Eitherway to avoid a prosecution you are entitled to be dealt with under the adult cautioning scheme.http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/law_enforcement/adult-cautioning-scheme

This is not legal advice

They use fairly decent locks made from hardened steel. I think it would cause less damage to cut a link of the chain as I've seen them with repair jobs to their chains before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Outside clampers operating under contract from the local authority a clamping company has no right or license whatsoever to immobilise a persons car, cutting a clamp to fcuk is your right, no man has ever been taken to court and lost such a case in Ireland.

FX Meister wrote: »
    They use fairly decent locks made from hardened steel. I think it would cause less damage to cut a link of the chain as I've seen them with repair jobs to their chains before.

The bolt cutters in my pic would blunt before they made a scratch on the chain of that clamp, and I mean a little tiny scratch!!

The metal used in the clamp is soft enough though! Angle grinders are a bit difficult as you either need a high powered electrical grinder with an alternator with correct voltage and ampage, or a generator, both costly and cumbersome! Also sparks can damage the paint, and the wheeland the tyre, i wouldnt take the risk!

An hours work getting the hands dirty and a hack saw did the job! had to take the wheel off and use it as a prop to get an angle for the saw!

I have a 400w inverter which I can connect straight to my battery. My angle grinder has a 2400W motor. I'm thinking his might be enough to remove the clamp as I don't need to run the motor at full load. Any ideas?

I have a 400w inverter which I can connect straight to my battery. My angle grinder has a 2400W motor. I'm thinking his might be enough to remove the clamp as I don't need to run the motor at full load. Any ideas?

I think thats perfect! put a towel and a couple of litres of water in the boot with it so you can put a damp towel over any area to protect against sparks! and be careful of wind!

The bolt cutters in my pic would blunt before they made a scratch on the chain of that clamp, and I mean a little tiny scratch!!

The bigger boltcutters would slice through that chain like butter. Damm expensive though.

I think thats perfect! put a towel and a couple of litres of water in the boot with it so you can put a damp towel over any area to protect against sparks! and be careful of wind!

I think Ill give it a shot so. I'll test it out first and run an amp meter on it so I know exactly how much power it's using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The bigger boltcutters would slice through that chain like butter. Damm expensive though.

Good thing lidl have a special on them :) ( http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090219.p.PowerfixBoltCutters ) no idea how good they would be....

8 quid from lidl will do nothing. Got a call from NCPS, they say they are willing to pay half of the cost. I said I wasn't happy with that. It seems like the guy knows he messed up with what he told me last night about where I could park.

• Advertisement

worth buying http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_8348.htm to give ncps a lesson :p

Good thing lidl have a special on them :) ( http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090219.p.PowerfixBoltCutters ) no idea how good they would be....

At eight Euros I doubt they will work. You would want something 30 inches or bigger to get a good bit of leverage.

They said they would reduce the fine to €60 and hold it at that. Then they got a call from the Star. When I rang to pay the €60 a power tripping chick said it was €120 cause of how I was dealing with the situation.

They said they would reduce the fine to €60 and hold it at that. Then they got a call from the Star. When I rang to pay the €60 a power tripping chick said it was €120 cause of how I was dealing with the situation.

WHAAAAAAAT!! the cheeky byatch! get that angle grinder on the rip!!! Grind off the number off the clamp and padlock it high up on a lampost!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭draycottgirlz

WHAAAAAAAT!! the cheeky byatch! get that angle grinder on the rip!!! Grind off the number off the clamp and padlock it high up on a lampost!!

can't believe that they rang you back increasing the charge again.....that your mind made not to pay I hope!!!!

Oh I have a battery powered angle grinder, must find the charger I'd just love to help....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You know what would be awesome? A guerilla campaign to clamp every last one of NCPS's vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

fair play stealthyspeeder! :D

god, how I hate those 4 letters - NCPS! :mad:

the feckers clamped me in november last year, and I wrote a stinker of a letter, accompanied by photos - et voila..a fell refund! :D

I gave in and called them at 11.30 to pay the €120 fine. The guy on the phone, Chris, said it would be about an hour. 72 minutes later I head down to take a look, my girlfriend was arriving in a taxi from work. Ii presumed the clamp would be removed and they hadn't called me. So the clampers arrive, one opens it while I chat to the other guy. Then the guy trying to lock it says that there is glue in the lock and he can't open it. He even has the cheek to ask if I glued the lock. Short while later I get a call from Chris. I have to say that Chris has been great to deal with. I understand he's only doing his job and he is very professional to deal with. Everyone else has just been on a power trip. So Chris says that the lock is glued and can't be removed until he talks to his supervisor in the morning. He also says I'm liable for any damage to the clamp while it's on my vehicle. I laugh. I told him I neede my car for 9am and he said it would be sorted by then. The lock will probably have to be cut off and they cost €80. I'll update in the morning and let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭draycottgirlz

you are no way liable for the clamp while its on your vehicle, its typical scare tactics!!!
    Highlight that it has really inconvienced you that is was not removed within the hour of paying for it, and they may be liable for the taxi fare while your vehicle was clamped.
    I think a little reminder that is was their own employee that directed you to the wrong parking spot.....

Also I reckon a 'few' calls to them to complain about illegal parking which vanished as they arrive means they might not clamp your motor so quickly next time

also I STRESS that you should supervise the lock being removed as you don't want any damage to your car!!!

• Advertisement

So I checked my car this morning to find the clamp removed. All that remained was a cut link and the lock. At least that's a dent in their profit. Thanks to who ever put glue in the lock.
    clampedaw7.jpg

I feel angry that you had to pay for getting the clamp removed! Try and follow up and see if you can get a refund.

I think its great that "someone" put superglue in the lock! but the cheek of him to ask if it might have been you!!!! Shocking! .........some people!

I hope there was no spark damage to your wheels or car? At least there is one less clamp about fror a while!

No damage to the car thankfully. I will appeal it but they are a bunch of pricks so I don't expect anything from them. The just seem to bully you into paying the fine. If you dispute being clamped then they force you to pay before the matter is sorted. The longer you leave it the more the cost goes up, €120 a day. The asshole woman I spoke to last night even disputed that the fine was ever dropped to €60 and said that couldn't have happened. Yet both I and NCPS have a recording of both the night controller and the day supervisor saying it would be €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cosoc

I had a run in with NCPS myself. I (admittedly) parked at Clontarf dart station just days after pay and display was brought in without noticing (at the beginning) the small signs. I argued with the clamp atendee who has no power saying I never park at the station after he mentioned to me leaflets were put in all cars windows at the station in the weeks run up. They make it difficult to appeal (written letter) but I decided to do it in any case. I made my claim that I had not parked in the station in months before. Guess what was in their standardized reply: "there were leaflets put on all cars in the weeks running up to the introduction" (nice..). When I responded to that they made themselves invisible and ignored my counter claims. They run very close to the line as they are tasked with getting a high number of clampings. The more people park properly the more they have to push the rules and screw innocent people. And don't doubt it, they will do it because thats how they make their money. While my case is arguable I know there are many more out there with much more valid arguments than mine. I'm going to make as much effort as possible to expose these crooks for who they are and hope others will do the same with their stories. Post blogs online, call up your local radio host, eventually I'm looking to get Prime Time on the case- but to do so we'll need as many stories as possible. Eventually with a bit of negative publicity in the media they will lose some of their big contracts and will then wish they had treated people with a bit more dignity and humanity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

cosoc wrote: »
    Eventually with a bit of negative publicity in the media they will lose some of their big contracts and will then wish they had treated people with a bit more dignity and humanity...

Problem is the terms of their current contract with CIE have not been made public and in this country with it's history of corruption that is quite dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I don't understand why people are entertaining the notion that there is some sort of appeals process. There is clearly none. All you get a is a form letter, "Your appeal is rejected."

I would never pay a private clamper ever. I would simply cut off their clamp and chuck it into the Liffey. I always have a small angle grinder in the boot for whenever I need to travel to Dublin.

Feck 'em is my motto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

Clamp Removal.
    I was clamped in blanchardstown centre not blocking ne thing. So i was very pissed off and got my hacksaw from the back and started cutting it off. I cut the top of the link each side and then bated the other link through. Security told me to stop i told him to **** off. They said they were calling the guards I said go on i dont care. At this stage at bout 2pm in blanch centre there was a huge crowd watching me at the bus stop. Taxi drivers helpin was great craic. Then when i got it off there was a huge cheer and a round of applause. So I threw it in boot and off I went. Returned it to their offices next day and said one your lads left that on my wheel and I walked out laughin. On private property it is illegal t clamp a vehicle. They have no authority whatsoever. Apartment blocks etc. Blanchardstown centre is private too. So if its private property remove it.!!! I got phonecalls from mates then asking for advice and help!!. REMOVE ALL CLAMPS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY IS MY OPINION!!!

Fair play to you! :D

On private property it is illegal t clamp a vehicle. They have no authority whatsoever. Apartment blocks etc. Blanchardstown centre is private too. So if its private property remove it.!!! I got phonecalls from mates then asking for advice and help!!. REMOVE ALL CLAMPS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY IS MY OPINION!!!

Are you aure they can't legally clamp you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Are you aure they can't legally clamp you?

Of course they can legally clamp you - ignore him. They are hired by the people who OWN the property to patrol & clamp cars. It's not as if anyone gets clamped in their own driveway - yes, it's "private" property, but it's not your private property - it belongs to someone else, and they say you can't park there unless you obey their rules. If you get clamped on private property, it's because the owners have hired a clamping company & given them permission to clamp cars under agreed parameters.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I would never pay a private clamper ever. I would simply cut off their clamp and chuck it into the Liffey. I always have a small angle grinder in the boot for whenever I need to travel to Dublin.

Feck 'em is my motto.

Or maybe you could just try parking properly? (not directed at the OP, as they told you to use the visitors spot, so it's 100% their fault in this instance).

I've only ever gotten clamped once, and it's because I parked on Yellow Lines, and it was clearly marked not to. I paid it because it was my fault. Why does everyone think they can park like as*holes, and it's not their fault if someone clamps them, even though there are signs warning them:confused:??

I don't like clamps or clampers, etc, but I also never get clamped, because I don't park like an as*hole!

• Advertisement

I don't park like a person you have referred to above.

Dublin is full of scumbag private clampers. I am entitled to protect my car against said scum.

Big Wave wrote: »
    Of course they can legally clamp you - ignore him. They are hired by the people who OWN the property to patrol & clamp cars. It's not as if anyone gets clamped in their own driveway - yes, it's "private" property, but it's not your private property - it belongs to someone else, and they say you can't park there unless you obey their rules. If you get clamped on private property, it's because the owners have hired a clamping company & given them permission to clamp cars under agreed parameters.

Read the Law. I have hence my removal of clamp on private property. It is infact stated in law that it is illegal to clamp on private property.

Abstracted from www.citizensinformation.ie .The following describes the legality of clamping vehicles on private property and states that private property in no way is covered by legislation.
    The appropiate legislation can also be sourced from here in full.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Private car parks

Private car parks are not regulated by the Government in any way. That is to say, they are privately owned and revenue earned from parking in these car parks goes directly to the owners and not your local authority. The prices charged in private car parks vary from place to place, ranging from about 80 cent to 2.50 euro per hour. Prices are determined by the car park owner. Prices charged by a local authority in its car parks will be decided by the authority itself.
    Vehicle clamping

Vehicle clamping is in place in the cities of Dublin, Cork and Galway. Services are operated in these cities by private companies on behalf of the local authority. Employees of the vehicle clamping company are entitled to clamp (and de-clamp vehicles) and issue clamping notices for vehicles that are in violation of the parking regulations. Clamping services are also common in car parks of hotels, hospitals, universities and shopping centres to discourage long-term parking at the expense of staff, customers or clients. Clamping on private property is not covered by legislation and owners must make sure that there are adequate signs and warnings notifying the public that clamping is in operation and that full contact details for the company enforcing the clamping are easily available.
    ++++++

HOPE THAT HELPS ANY DOUBTERS.

Abstracted from www.citizensinformation.ie .The following describes the legality of clamping vehicles on private property and states that private property in no way is covered by legislation.
    The appropiate legislation can also be sourced from here in full.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Private car parks

Private car parks are not regulated by the Government in any way. That is to say, they are privately owned and revenue earned from parking in these car parks goes directly to the owners and not your local authority. The prices charged in private car parks vary from place to place, ranging from about 80 cent to 2.50 euro per hour. Prices are determined by the car park owner. Prices charged by a local authority in its car parks will be decided by the authority itself.
    Vehicle clamping

Vehicle clamping is in place in the cities of Dublin, Cork and Galway. Services are operated in these cities by private companies on behalf of the local authority. Employees of the vehicle clamping company are entitled to clamp (and de-clamp vehicles) and issue clamping notices for vehicles that are in violation of the parking regulations. Clamping services are also common in car parks of hotels, hospitals, universities and shopping centres to discourage long-term parking at the expense of staff, customers or clients. Clamping on private property is not covered by legislation and owners must make sure that there are adequate signs and warnings notifying the public that clamping is in operation and that full contact details for the company enforcing the clamping are easily available.
    ++++++

HOPE THAT HELPS ANY DOUBTERS.

lol - all you did was back up what I said!! Where does it say it's illegal to clamp on private property?? Eh, it doesn't! It just says it's not covered by legislation, but they can do it as long as they have signs up. :rolleyes:
    Way to prove yourself wrong, lol.

Having signs up doesn't protect them at all.

If it was legal these scumbags would sue people that cut off their clamps. Since they don't it goes to prove that they had no case to begin with.

I'd have no problem with cutting a clamp off if (like the OP)i'd been wrongly clamped on private property. Anyone who parks on double yellow lines, in someone else's space etc on private property deserves to be clamped, though. Cutting a clamp off in such circumstances, even if it is legal, is just plain wrong.

Having signs up means nothing.

That piece of information posted says private property is not covered by legislation - in my books that means

1. The clampers can clamp you,
    2. You can cut it off, and have no proceedings taken against you.

Having signs up means nothing.

That piece of information posted says private property is not covered by legislation - in my books that means

1. The clampers can clamp you,
    2. You can cut it off, and have no proceedings taken against you.
    Not aimed at you personally, but there are lots of ways one can be a pr1ck in this world and get away with it. I think each situation has to be looked at on its own merits - at the end of the day, owners of private property should have the right to dictate who parks where on their property.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Not aimed at you personally, but there are lots of ways one can be a pr1ck in this world and get away with it. I think each situation has to be looked at on its own merits - at the end of the day, owners of private property should have the right to dictate who parks where on their property.

Yep, point taken.

I was talking about not really parking "illegally" on private property and being clamped - like when the clampers done do their job in the first place and let some one take your space, which means you have to park somewhere else and end up being clamped as a result. In that instance i would have no hesitation to cut the clamp off.

But, if it was someone abandoning their car in the middle of the road, or blocking an entrance, they should have four clamps put on the car.

Double yellow lines on private property mean nothing.

Owners of private land can stop people parking there by using a barrier or a gate of some description. There are other ways besides clamping.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement