Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCPS clamp issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Anan1 wrote: »
    Not aimed at you personally, but there are lots of ways one can be a pr1ck in this world and get away with it. I think each situation has to be looked at on its own merits - at the end of the day, owners of private property should have the right to dictate who parks where on their property.

This is true, however the objection here is the means by which they enforce their right. Rendering another person property unusable is unacceptable, it worsens the original problem in the short run as the clamped vehicle owner cannot move away from the land, it creates a lot of anger and the person who has clamped the car makes money by extortionate means. Barrier controlled entrances and exits to private land create no anger, and achieve the desired result of stopping unwanted people parking on private land more efficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are entertaining the notion that there is some sort of appeals process. There is clearly none. All you get a is a form letter, "Your appeal is rejected."

+1

Had the same problem in our apartment complex before. Flatmate clamped for legitimately parking in our own space. Sent in an appeal with proof we were allowed park there and got form letter back saying that they could clamp whomever at their discretion. I would definitely just use an angle grinder or whatever if it happened again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This is true, however the objection here is the means by which they enforce their right. Rendering another person property unusable is unacceptable, it worsens the original problem in the short run as the clamped vehicle owner cannot move away from the land, it creates a lot of anger and the person who has clamped the car makes money by extortionate means. Barrier controlled entrances and exits to private land create no anger, and achieve the desired result of stopping unwanted people parking on private land more efficiently.
    Barrier controlled entrances & exits cost a lot of money. I have no problem with clamping provided that there are clear warnings and that it is only used when the clearly marked warnings are disregarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This thread is very interesting, before I wouldn't have dreamed of cutting off a clamp if I was ever wrongly done over, but from now on it'll be coming straight off. Luckily enough there are no clampers in my immediate area and I pretty much never park in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DETEC

I WENT OUT ON SATURDAY NIGHT IN NAAS AND PARKED MY CAR IN A CAR PARK AND GOT A TAXI HOME LATER, CAME TO COLLECT IT ON SUNDAY AND SOME LOW LIFE CLAMPED IT AT 8.30 IN THE MORNING, ALONG WITH ANOTHER CAR. THE CARPARK WAS EMPTY. I HAD TO PAY THE THE FINE €90 + €5 FEE FOR USING VISA. IF I HAD TO DO IT AGAIN ID CUT THE CLAMPS OFF THE 2 CARS THEN THE BASTARDS WOULDENT KNOW WHICH ONE OF US DID IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Well it sounds like you were parked and you hadn't paid, what did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DETEC

you sound you work for ncps, look if i was parked obstructing other cars on a week day or a Saturday i would put my hand up and say ok i shouldent have parked there so i accept being clamped, but on a Sunday morning at 830 thats just unnecessary and opportunistic. u sure your not the guy that unlocked the clamp ?

DETEC wrote: »
    you sound you work for ncps, look if i was parked obstructing other cars on a week day or a Saturday i would put my hand up and say ok i shouldent have parked there so i accept being clamped, but on a Sunday morning at 830 thats just unnecessary and opportunistic. u sure your not the guy that unlocked the clamp ?
    Had you paid for your parking or not?

Had you paid for your parking or not?

More importantly, where was your hacksaw/angle grinder!?:D

• Advertisement

The owner of a modified Honda wasn't too impressed with NCPS's latest modification to his car!! (taken today off the Malahide road!)

26022009053.th.jpg

DETEC wrote: »

If you parked incorrectly then what do you expect? You admit you know you were in the wrong but think they should change their rules to suit you?That's just stupid.

On a different note, I finally got a reply to my appeal to a clamp I got in January. Parked in my own space but was driving a van as I was moving furniture from my apartment.

Here's the letter from NCPS. Whoopee.

clampappeal.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Stark wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pretty much what I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Surely shome mishtake!

I hope not. I'll let you know as soon as the funds go back into my account. Time to appeal the otehr one too I guess, hopefully I'll get away with that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

REFUND...........how the hell did you get that??

Them shower clamped me twice in clontarf dart station for no reason.
    first they said I had no ticket, which I had bought my weekly ticket and the 2nd time your one on the phone said I had no ticket, which I did then she said I had parked in a disabled spot which I hadn’t!! Ended up paying another 125 Euro to theses fookers.

There a complete shower and if it ever happens to me or anybody I know ill cut the thing off.

Oh let me know if you see any NCPS vans parked anywhere, I have one of there clamps which i'd like to give back by ether throwing it through the windscreen or clamping there van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Oh let me know if you see any NCPS vans parked anywhere, I have one of there clamps which i'd like to give back by ether throwing it through the windscreen or clamping there van.

Ahem...

FredH3as wrote: »

Oh I thought I was in work and not English class.

You really brought something to this tread didn’t you...........go back to your Dictionary poindexter

Oh I thought I was in work and not English class.

You really brought something to this tread didn’t you...........go back to your Dictionary poindexter
    Thread.;)

Oh another funny guy. Have you a problem that I have Dyslexia???
    and yes i did need to spell check Dyslexia :)

• Advertisement

Come on, it was only a bit of fun.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Come on, it was only a bit of fun.:)

Fun if you're a pedantic gobsh!te and get off on correcting other peoples spelling :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

John_Mc wrote: »
    Fun if you're a pedantic gobsh!te and get off on correcting other peoples spelling :rolleyes:

Did someone get sand in their pants :P ?

Chill out, twas only a joke

With the greatest of respect, you might be better occupied actually learning to spell rather than getting all sulky when someone pokes a little fun at a couple of (very basic) spelling mistakes.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

With the greatest of respect, you might be better occupied actually learning to spell rather than getting all sulky when someone pokes a little fun at a couple of (very basic) spelling mistakes.;)

No one has corrected my spelling because it's pretty good, but thanks for the respect anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

now now - back onto discussing clamps, etc.!

No one has corrected my spelling because it's pretty good, but thanks for the respect anyway.
    No problem, John, if there's anything else I can do to lift your mood just let me know.;)

sorry kbannon one last comment on it.

Might be a bit of fun for you and your mate FredH3as but do you think its fun for me when people correct my spelling...when i know Im crap at it???

Back on about the NCPS...........shower of w@nkers:D

Might be a bit of fun for you and your mate FredH3as but do you think its fun for me when people correct my spelling...when i know Im crap at it???
    I apologise for joking about your spelling - I wasn't aware that you had dyslexia. There is a world of a difference beween that, however, and the average poster who just doesn't bother to spell words correctly.

REFUND...........how the hell did you get that??
    They have an appeals process. i didn't think it would work but it did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That has to be a 1 in a million shot. I would not give them that much credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Can I ask a question about people hiring clamping companies.

In NUIG college there is a serious shortage of parking spaces for students and some students used to park in places that weren't marked as a parking space but were in no way blocking anyone or blocking an exit. These people were then clamped and there was approx 50 spaces like this that cant be used anymore.

What are the chances the clamping company would take me to court for cutting off a lock on one of their clamps? Havent been clamped yet but its getting harder and harder find a parking space before class.

Caliden wrote: »
    In NUIG college there is a serious shortage of parking spaces for students and some students used to park in places that weren't marked as a parking space but were in no way blocking anyone or blocking an exit. These people were then clamped and there was approx 50 spaces like this that cant be used anymore.
    So why exactly were they clamped? Is there any markings or signs around these areas?
    What are the chances the clamping company would take me to court for cutting off a lock on one of their clamps? Havent been clamped yet but its getting harder and harder find a parking space before class.
    it would depend on whether they could prove that it was you that did the act!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

They were clamped because officially the spaces where the cars were parking aren't marked as parking spaces. They don't interfer with the flow of traffic or block any entrances/walkways.

Only thing I'm afraid of is there might be something written into the college rules that would result in disciplinary action if I cut off the lock

Surely in order to clamp a car, there needs to be a defined set of rules in place from which the clampers work from. I would ask the college or the clampers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

They were clamped because officially the spaces where the cars were parking aren't marked as parking spaces. They don't interfer with the flow of traffic or block any entrances/walkways.

Only thing I'm afraid of is there might be something written into the college rules that would result in disciplinary action if I cut off the lock

Bad idea on college grounds...

kbannon wrote: »
    Surely in order to clamp a car, there needs to be a defined set of rules in place from which the clampers work from. I would ask the college or the clampers.

But the problem is that you don't know these rules and NCPS make them up as they go along. I imagine a lot of it is down to the idiots that work for them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No government regulation. That is the main problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Surely if some "unknown non-student of the university" type person cut the clamp off there'd be no disciplinary action possible. If you somehow had (stupidly) told the college that you owned the car in question, I'd sell it to the same "unknown non-student of the university" person the same day the clamp was to be cut off though. There'd be no other legal way for the university to find out the owner of the car, so that'd be that.

As far as I know a trespasser has to be allowed leave the property ( as in you trerspass on someone's land, they say 'GTFO my land' and you do - then no criminal trespass occurs.) If the landowner does not permit you to leave, their hand is weakened.
    There's another piece of legislation to allow you to peaceably enter another's property to recover your own goods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Semistatebody

So I've moved into a new house at the start of this month and after informing NCPS that it will take a few weeks for me to process the application forms with my landlord they proceeded to Clamp me in my own DRIVEWAY... after the first two occasions I returned their clamp with only one link on the chain cut. The next two clamps they put on my cars I've proceeded to keep them and will continue to do so until they respond to me like a normal person... DON'T LET THEM BULLY YOU! I tried to reason and speak with them but to no avail and I'm fairly diplomatic on the phone :) this infuriated me especially since they provide this service to protect the parking of residents i.e. ME

But since the power tripping idividual could only read their brochure to me like an automated service qouting '"We don't negotiate with people like you" I pulled the old grinder out and VOILA!

So don't worry... an hour with a solicitor is worth ten clamps to them so hardly worth the effort... PLUS what judge will convict a normal person during the recession when money is so short anyway????

after the first two occasions I returned their clamp with only one link on the chain cut. The next two clamps they put on my cars I've proceeded to keep them and will continue to do so until they respond to me like a normal person...

Legend! and your just right too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So I've moved into a new house at the start of this month and after informing NCPS that it will take a few weeks for me to process the application forms with my landlord they proceeded to Clamp me in my own DRIVEWAY... after the first two occasions I returned their clamp with only one link on the chain cut. The next two clamps they put on my cars I've proceeded to keep them and will continue to do so until they respond to me like a normal person...

Next time, use a video camera and put it on Youtube. I'd love to see this. I wonder could you sell the clamps on eBay too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

@Semistate: Next time use the clamps on them as they are tresspassing on your private property, seriously call the cops tell them somebody is trespassing in my garden!

And surely by the time they come to clamp the car for the second time the guards will have arrived!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

This is the post on the case from two years ago where a Waterford student was brought to court on charges of theft and being in possession of stolen property after he removed a clamp from his car which was parked on private property - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055041472

@Jor el: Well they have it on CCTV so you might yet see it on utube... just look out for a bloke in a motorbike helmet(had no goggles for the eyes) waving an angle grinder at the camera before I cut it off :)

@cabrwab: I would have rang the Garda about it but I first want to see if they make a move to reclaim their clamps as I will counter-sue them for tresspassing on my property(that is if I don't physically kill them first) and I have the photo of the car clamped in my driveway and the backing paper of their 'STOP' sticker on the ground beside it which proves they also littered.

And to think the original solution I offered them was to remove the clamp and I would pay at a later date when it would have been more financially comfortable for me. "We don't negotiate with people like you!" HA! Maybe I should open my own business.... hmmm.... NDPS=Nationwide Declamping and Parking Services...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Im just blown away by the fact they have the right to clamp you on "technically" your property as you are renting it. But to come into somebody's driveway and clamp:eek:

Lucky you for having the angle grinder. I second the declamping company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

"We don't negotiate with people like you!" HA! Maybe I should open my own business.... hmmm.... NDPS=Nationwide Declamping and Parking Services...

I've paid 365 euros for declamping my car infront of my apt. Car was parked legally and I was away for few days on holidays. I didn't know Clampers can't do anything incase you remove the clamps..But I would second your opinion on NDPS..Definitely we need more and more people like you who can openly challenge them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

@Jor el: Well they have it on CCTV so you might yet see it on utube... just look out for a bloke in a motorbike helmet(had no goggles for the eyes) waving an angle grinder at the camera before I cut it off :)

@cabrwab: I would have rang the Garda about it but I first want to see if they make a move to reclaim their clamps as I will counter-sue them for tresspassing on my property(that is if I don't physically kill them first) and I have the photo of the car clamped in my driveway and the backing paper of their 'STOP' sticker on the ground beside it which proves they also littered.

And to think the original solution I offered them was to remove the clamp and I would pay at a later date when it would have been more financially comfortable for me. "We don't negotiate with people like you!" HA! Maybe I should open my own business.... hmmm.... NDPS=Nationwide Declamping and Parking Services...

Well Done Mate, Legend! Does a normal Angle grinder (a €40 bosch) do the job? If they ever reinstate clamping in my place I am going to go vigilante on any clamps I see.

Victor_M wrote: »
    Well Done Mate, Legend! Does a normal Angle grinder (a €40 bosch) do the job? If they ever reinstate clamping in my place I am going to go vigilante on any clamps I see.

Fair play... yea it ought to do the job... I used a power devil(i.e. REALLY cheap brand), just don't rush too much and you'll cut through without frying the motor... HAPPY CHOPPING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are entertaining the notion that there is some sort of appeals process. There is clearly none. All you get a is a form letter, "Your appeal is rejected."
    Oddly enough, about 50% of appeals are granted, partially or fully.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement