Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA:Study with a lecturer or Home Study?

Options
  • 18-02-2009 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Does anyone ever tried to study ACCA at home? I know it's better to go to college for most of students, but if the timetable doesn't suit you, will you go for Distance Learning?

I'm thinking about sign up for P4 - Financial Management, but none of the colleges' (Griffith, BPP and DBS) timetable suit me. I had a chat with BPP, they offer Home study package, which include text book, teaching DVD and question pack. The only thing isn't included is Lecturer's Notes -- this can't be bought.

It's hard for me to make decision, is Lecturer's notes really important? Can I actually learn something from the DVD or the DVD is useless? Maybe I should try to find a college outside the Dublin?

Can anyone give me some suggestion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭aassddff

You would need a strong study motivation to do the work on your own. Sitting down to watch any kind of accountancy subject on DVD doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

I've had great success with the BPP home study package. So far I've sat and passed (1st time) F4, F8, P1 P2 and P3 through home study.

I found that when i went to Lectures I had to go home and 're-study' the subject myself. The hassle of getting to class after work was a real pain and lets face it, a 3-4 hour lecture is wasted on me, I can only study for 2 hours max at a time. So studying at home allows me to go at my pace. The BPP kit is very user friendly with lots of 'mini-tests' and stuff. The DVD is actually quite good. It's normally a few lectures talking about specfic areas of the course.

I'm doing my two options P5 and P7 through home study, hopefully the lucky streak will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 accas

Thanks. ;)
    I have few questions: How many hours do you spend on each subject per week? Do you do any 'Homework'? Have you ever got any difficulty to do the questions? If yes, can you send an email to the 'lecturer' to ask questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

How many hours do you spend on each subject per week?
    I have two seperate strategies, depending on the type of paper.

For theory based exams e.g. F4, F8, P1 etc
    1 - Read the book from beginning to end normally one evening (2 hours) and one weekend day (2 hours) per subject.
    2 - Once I've completely read the book I start on example/past exam questions. I try and answer the question without reading the book, compare my answer to the model answer and then brush up on areas of weakness.

For workings based exams e.g. F6, F7, P2 etc
    1 - Go straight to the example/past exam questions and learn the entire course through doing questions, over and over and over and over again.
    Have you ever got any difficulty to do the questions? If yes, can you send an email to the 'lecturer' to ask questions?
    Of course I have difficulty with the questions. The good thing about the homestudy kit is that all questions give detailed workings and tips on how the workings were done.
    You are given an e-mail address for a BPP lecturer if you get really stuck.
    Be specific with your query and you should get a good reply.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I would say a lot of subjects are okay to study at home, unfortunately P4 is one of those exams where a knowledgeable Financial Management Lecturer will make a huge difference. My 2c worth.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for sharing your wonderful study strategies.

Climber wrote: »
    I have two seperate strategies, depending on the type of paper.

For theory based exams e.g. F4, F8, P1 etc
    1 - Read the book from beginning to end normally one evening (2 hours) and one weekend day (2 hours) per subject.
    2 - Once I've completely read the book I start on example/past exam questions. I try and answer the question without reading the book, compare my answer to the model answer and then brush up on areas of weakness.

For workings based exams e.g. F6, F7, P2 etc
    1 - Go straight to the example/past exam questions and learn the entire course through doing questions, over and over and over and over again.

Of course I have difficulty with the questions. The good thing about the homestudy kit is that all questions give detailed workings and tips on how the workings were done.
    You are given an e-mail address for a BPP lecturer if you get really stuck.
    Be specific with your query and you should get a good reply.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sarhar82

Hi Accas,

I am studying for P6 at home. If you wanted to take this subject we could study together.

I have studied for all my exams by home study so far and have passed 1st time with each one.

I study for about 1.5 hrs per evening.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah,

But I have given up P6, failed twice so lost my confidence, I'm doing P4 at home now, hopefully.....

sarhar82 wrote: »
    Hi Accas,

I am studying for P6 at home. If you wanted to take this subject we could study together.

I have studied for all my exams by home study so far and have passed 1st time with each one.

I study for about 1.5 hrs per evening.

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 aggie25

Hi,

I'm also starting home study for the first time i'm doing F4 and F5. Hopefully it works out! after a long day at work i dont think i could face sitting in a lecture hall!

One of the girls i worked with did it mostly through distance learning and is now fully qualified! so that gives me a bit of hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sue72

Hi there,

I was just wondering how long it took you for each subject by home study? I am planning on doing F1 - F3 by home study and estimate maybe around six months. I am using the study text & revision kit

• Advertisement

Hi Sue,

I do one subject every six months and I try to study most nights for 1 hr at least.

I'm sure it is possible to do more exams but my way is less stressful and I ensure I don't have to repeat any exams.

Hi Aggie,

Just wanted to wish you all the best with the home study. I'm sure you will be grand.

I know what you mean about sitting in a lecture hall - I wouldn't be able for it either :)

Do you work in practice or industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jojorich

I bought the home package plus for June 08 exams but oculd not sit them in the end cos was literally due my baby! i rang them up today cos i want to try F7 this Dec & they said my package is useless and need the new one! its so annoying like they should be able to just give a supplement book with changes ! total money making scheme, like its prob just acts, vat rates and that that have changed so slightly :mad:

Im not sure if the June 09 study package would be ok if anyone is selling theres cheaper??????

Advertisement