Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resident evil 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

thorbarry wrote: »
    so... anyone played the full game yet? cant wait to play it me self

Yeah got it this morning from gamesnash, early as usual. Really enjoying it more than I thought, I started on normal with co-op and I'm half way through chapter 2 so far. Don't want to give too much away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

cool.. less horror more action, not a bad thing

I think it's a terrible thing...Resident Evil=Survival Horror. The demo was dreadfully disappointing.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Is there a cover mechanic in the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

jayteecork wrote: »
    Is there a cover mechanic in the game?

There is in certain places, you can't just go up to random wall or box and take cover.

I'm in the middle of chapter 4 at the moment. I think it's a pretty good game myself, doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but what it does, it does well. Way way way easier than Resi4 though.

Maybe not a spoiler, but just in case:
    A bit of advice: do not give Sheva the stun rod weapon thinking that she's gonna go around immobilizing all the bad guys so that you can get easy kills. She'll basically just stand there like an idiot, even if she also has a fully upgraded weapon :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

so... anyone played the full game yet? cant wait to play it me self

i have

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, so the old saying goes. But what about in the case where technology as moved sufficiently forward to allow you to do things that simply weren’t possible in the previous titles in your series? Is it ok to change things then? We delve into the surprisingly sunny depths of the latest instalment in the big daddy of survival horror games, Resident Evil 5.

It’s been four years since the release of what was arguably the pinnacle of the survival horror genre in Resident Evil 4, and a mere two since the Wii port which is widely considered to be one of the best games ever made. Tense atmospheric gameplay and an intuitive Wiimote based control system meant that there was little before, or since, that could hold a candle to the overall ambiance of uncertainty that up until that point had characterised the Resident Evil series of games.

When RE5 was announce, and the first screenshots began to dribble through it started to become clear that the new African setting had brought with it a new feel to the series. Gone were the misty foreboding settings of previous titles and in their place bright and vibrant locales drenched in equatorial sunlight. It was from that point we began to suspect that Resident Evil 5 may turn out to be a divisive little bugger.

Set in the fictional West African country of Kijuju, Resident Evil 5’s plot finally begins to give us some answers about the origin of the mysterious virus that has been plaguing the RE universe since its debut in 1996. You once again take control of RE stalwart Chris Redfield who is now a member of the Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance, or BSAA (Chris sure does like an employer with a snappy acronym), and are joined by a new addition to the series in Sheva Alomar who is an agent with the African branch of the BSAA. Throughout the game you will begin to uncover pieces of Chris’ life in the ten years that has passed since the events of the original, and there are a few more than a few surprises along the way.

In a bold move by Capcom, the lumbering and slightly less than intelligent zombie grunts have been done away with for RE5 and been replaced by intelligent and lightening fast foes. While the Resident Evil purists will no doubt take issue with the first of many landscape shifts for the series, it’s certainly a welcome change for us. As any of you who played the demo (and we know there were probably one or two, seeing as how it amassed over four million downloads on PSN and Xbox Live combined) will know, your new fleet footed foes breathe a whole new dimension into the game dynamics, creating a claustrophobic sense of urgency in even the less busy sections.

Unfortunately, with this change the game has lost quite a lot of the atmosphere which helped make previous games in the series so suspenseful, and in turn it signals a major shift for Resident Evil. Rather than stay true to the subtlety that has served it so well through the years, RE5 has adopted a full-on action shooter approach.

As you start playing through, you’ll definitely get the initial feeling that something just isn’t right here. It’s long been ingrained into the gamer psyche that Resident Evil games are anxiety-riddled affairs where you’re never quite sure when the next ****-your-pants moment will come from (need I mention the first encounter with the dogs in the original RE game?), but here it’s a case of run and gun more than creep and cower. Some will love it, some will hate it, personally I’m somewhere in the middle; it’s a nice change and it works, but at the same time it’s just not Resident Evil to me. It makes me feel a little bit dirty and confused.

But it’s fun. It’s really good fun. And that’s what really matters at the end of the day here.

It’s clear that the success of some of the more action packed titles in the time since RE4 has lead to Capcom completely reanalysing their approach to the RE series, and it’s a commendable move. Too often developers can rest on their laurels and pointedly refuse to try new approaches to games, instead opting to tack on the odd new feature here and there alongside a new coat of graphical veneer for their bi-annual series updates. It would have been a crying shame for Capcom to take that route for RE5, because it would have meant we never got to see zombies on dirt bikes.

Yes, you read that correctly. Zombies. On. Dirt. Bikes.

It seems that the strain of the virus infecting these poor unfortunates hasn’t yet made it deep enough into their nervous systems to affect their hand-eye coordination which as a happy coincidence, allows for some nicely executed vehicular set-pieces. Again a big step in a new direction for Capcom, but nowhere near the series re-defining point half way through the game where the infection takes hold of the African military forces stationed nearby.

In a decision that will either make or break the game for you, from around half way through the game you’ll discover something that will truly shock RE fans… your enemies now have guns and they know how to use them. There is little doubt here… you’ll either love the new direction or you’ll be a little disgusted by it. I admit to falling into the latter category. Zombies with guns just isn’t Resident Evil. It’s generic shooter storyline 101 stuff, and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The boil riddled, decomposing variety of brain hungry zombie are still here, but their supplementation by fatigue wearing military zombies hurts the whole thing in ways you’ll have to discover for yourself if you want to feel the true impact of it.

Fanboy based bitching aside, Resident Evil is a bloody good game (pun intended). The newly added co-op feature is something that has been sorely lacking in previous RE titles and is more than welcome. It certainly adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay and definitely makes the whole thing worth multiple play-throughs. When not playing with another human the AI of a computer controlled Sheva is wonderful for the most part, except for the occasional moment when she just seems to lose the plot completely and becomes more of a hindrance than a help. Enemy AI is well balanced and even though it provides a worthy challenge, there will be few points where you’ll be overcome with frustration to the point of not wanting to play any more.

One slight irritant on the gameplay side of things is the new itinerary system which is clunky and counter intuitive, causing more issues than it needs to. The new cover system is another feature being roundly criticised, but it’s not all that bad. Yes it does tend to provide you with more hide-shoot-hide-shoot moments than it should, but you don’t HAVE to use it if you don’t want to.

The big one for me is that you still can’t run and shoot at the same time. Quite why Capcom have persisted with this system is a mystery, especially as they deemed it appropriate to up the gunplay to never before seen levels. Would it really have been that hard to let us move and shoot at the same bloody time? It’s not the mid 1990’s any more, the power is there to allow for such highly complicated (ahem) manoeuvres surely. I mean they managed to give one of the most beautiful looking video games I’ve ever seen, with a wonderfully broad range of motifs, so why not bloody shooting and moving at the same bloody time.

OK, I got a little carried away there, it’s just that it’s a huge gripe for me. It would’ve been fine if the game was similar to RE4 and not quite as fast paced, but it isn’t and changes should have been made accordingly.

Of course with all the negatives taken on board Resident Evil is still a good game. No. It’s an excellent game, and a title that probably deserves to be in everyone’s collection, but as I mentioned earlier, it just doesn’t feel like a Resident Evil title. Think more its bastard cousin who has a tendency to get carried away with himself, and everyone thinks is a little bit “different” to the rest of the family.

Score: 8.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's already on sale in GAME in Galway for 39.99 .I picked it up just there.
    :D a day early whoohooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I have it about a week or so. Haven't played past 3-1 but its very similar to 4. Graphics are some of the best around on consoles at the moment.
    I like it a lot. And it does get a lot better than the demo. The demo is more or less the first few mins of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Went into gamestop in swords today to reserve a copy, will not get to touch it till saturday :(

But I have not played resident eveil since the third installment on the playstation, never played 4, seems like I should.

So I've forgotten what resident evil was like.

I think I'm going to like this, considering, I only realised it was coming out, today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Got it today. I only played the intro to check it out. One thing that is worrying is that I'm seeing some artifacts across the middle of the screen most noticable during cutscenes. Although I think I noticed them during gameplay as well.
    It looks a bit like the glitches you see on digital tv when the weather is bad. I haven't heard this comlplaint from anyone else so I'm thinking that the system is having trouble loading the data off the cd. I'll have to check it for damage\dirt.

• mee looking for a coop partner. add me below!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Went into gamestop in swords today to reserve a copy, will not get to touch it till saturday :(

But I have not played resident eveil since the third installment on the playstation, never played 4, seems like I should.

So I've forgotten what resident evil was like.

I think I'm going to like this, considering, I only realised it was coming out, today.

If you haven't played 4, its going to be a bit of a shock coming from 3. Its a whole new ball game now.

You get filled in on the back story anyway so its not a real loss. You should get around to 4 at some stage though.

My copy gone out from thehut, probably be waiting till next tue or Wed but I got it for 30 euro so won't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Got it today. I only played the intro to check it out. One thing that is worrying is that I'm seeing some artifacts across the middle of the screen most noticable during cutscenes. Although I think I noticed them during gameplay as well.
    It looks a bit like the glitches you see on digital tv when the weather is bad. I haven't heard this comlplaint from anyone else so I'm thinking that the system is having trouble loading the data off the cd. I'll have to check it for damage\dirt.

Thats called tearing and I noticed it too so its probably just in the game

Yeah that's what it is all right. Just checked some examples online.

For some reason I always thought tearing occurred vertically. I've never actually seen it in my games until now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yeah that's what it is all right. Just checked some examples online.

For some reason I always thought tearing occurred vertically. I've never actually seen it in my games until now.

Do you have the 360 set to a resolution other than the native 720p? Setting it to 720p should stop tearing completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

wayne, do you have your 360 set to 1080i? Try 720p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Apparently its a lot more frequent at higher resolutions. I have mine plugged into a 24" monitor at 1900x1200 or something like that. It's probably less frequent at 720p

koneko wrote: »
    wayne, do you have your 360 set to 1080i? Try 720p.

Now that you mention it..
    I always had mine set to output at 720p but when it red ringed and I sent it to MS, the replacement was set to 480p and I only noticed a week or two ago when street fighter was released (shows how much I use the damn thing). I then set it to 1080p as the telly can handle it.

I'll check the game at 720p when I get home from work.

I've also been toggling between 480p and 1080p recently as I've been playing call of cthulu and wanted it in widescreen.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

played the game yesterday after work for about 3 hours.. i think its very good, very fast paced, graphics are great, gameplay pretty good... the only one thing that sorta bugs me is how the enemies react when you shoot them. Like i think if you shoot it in the knee it should limp with that leg, shoot it in the sholder then it hangs down etc.. just sort of real life dynamics, they react the very same way as they do in 4.. thats my only small problem with it, its still a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea I agree with you that they way they react to being shot is identical to Resi 4. When I played the demo I was really disappointed by it but since the reviews were coming through really well I decided to give it a bash. The graphics are amazing. I'm loving it now I have to say. Once you realise that the control system is there to add tension to the game you begin to enjoy the game. It's not much of a progression from the 4th game but it's intense gameplay is taking it through nicely so far.

• Advertisement

So how does this measure up as a single player game as I probably won't be taking it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So how does this measure up as a single player game as I probably won't be taking it online?

Playing with someone you know helps, but appart from not getting shot in the back all the time by the ai or shooting her when she gets in the way (happens a lot ) its much the same really in co-op as in single.

I hear they are going to charge 400 points for the versus modes?

• calex71 wrote: »
    Playing with someone you know helps, but appart from not getting shot in the back all the time by the ai or shooting her when she gets in the way (happens a lot ) its much the same really in co-op as in single.

I hear they are going to charge 400 points for the versus modes?

Not at all tbh, you can create tactics with your live team8 rather than the thick ai so its a completly different experiance with some1 else, you also have to share ammo and weapons and health. the ai uses health way too much and wastes ammo easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So is it worth getting?
    Had it in my hands (xbox) today along with Killzone 2 for PS3.
    In the end didn't bother with either of them.
    Now at home bored off my head and sorry I didn't get one of them.

I reset my 360's output to 720p and it seems to have stopped the tearing issues with the game.

From what I've played so far I'd say it's worth a go. It is a bit weird with the controls at first but if you've played RE before you'll get used to it quick. the only thing is that the AI in single player mode is a bit annoying. She wastes ammo and health sprays too much and sometimes gets in your line of fire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not a patch on Resi 4 unfortunately. It really was designed with multiplayer in mind with very linear levels. However it's still a very good game and at 40 stingers it's well worth it. It's far better than the demo suggested especially now you can use a shotty against mr. chainsaw. Resi 4 also seemed to play much better on the GC controller. Resi 5 just doesn't feel right.

Have to say I only played an hour, already not impressed with "Sheva"

I'm constantly healing her and trying to keep her alive, I would have much rather prefered to play it solo.

Have to get someone on for co-op, because she is totally retarded.

Other then that its a good enough game ( considering im through the first hour) fast paced, plenty of action, plenty of suprises. But since when did zombies start using weapons and running? Feels more like house of the dead africa then Resident evil to be fair.

But it is defintely going to get good playtime from me.

But since when did zombies start using weapons and running?
    I hear they start using dirt bikes toward the end. :pac:

I hear they start using dirt bikes toward the end. :pac:

**** sake haha

I know saying its "unrealistic" is a tad silly, but in an hour into the game ive got zombies that have this **** coming out of their mouths like blade 2, and some crazy bitch with a whopper tentacle head dominating me.

Prefered the old slow zombies, in masses, where its a turkey shoot, loads of fast zombies, is becoming queit the slaughter on veteran : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Have to say I only played an hour, already not impressed with "Sheva"

I'm constantly healing her and trying to keep her alive, I would have much rather prefered to play it solo.

Have to get someone on for co-op, because she is totally retarded.

Other then that its a good enough game ( considering im through the first hour) fast paced, plenty of action, plenty of suprises. But since when did zombies start using weapons and running? Feels more like house of the dead africa then Resident evil to be fair.

But it is defintely going to get good playtime from me.

same with me dude, she is a ****n pain.
    she keeps getting in my way. she is killing the game for me.

i will do co-op with you , bagsie being chris.
    im on chapter 2-1 on normal. im just at the end of 2-1

Advertisement