Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€10 for flying out of Dublin with Ryanair and other airlines?

Options
  • 18-02-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

That's new.. Isn't it?

ra2eg6.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Came in the last budget. All airlines will be asking you to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Came in the last budget. All airlines will be asking you to pay it.

Didn't know that! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

No problem. I think it's any flights to be taken from March 1st onwards. Mr Ryanair himself was up in arms about it.

I wonder if they'll absorb it, going forward. Otherwise it'll be the end of Ryanair's 1c flights that come from time to time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

benifa wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll absorb it, going forward. Otherwise it'll be the end of Ryanair's 1c flights that come from time to time.
    They will not absorb it and the 1c flight will still continue to come. The will simply list it as 1c + airport charges which was the case before as well.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    The will simply list it as 1c + airport charges which was the case before as well.
    It wasn't. It was 1c including taxes and charges, excluding optional charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Given Michael O'Leary's very vocal dissatisfaction with this ridiculous "tax", I doubt they will absorb it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This tax can't be charged (eg. at check in) to a flight already booked and paid for before any of this came about, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Nody wrote: »
    They will not absorb it and the 1c flight will still continue to come. The will simply list it as 1c + airport charges which was the case before as well.

Not true. They used to charge just 1c each way inc charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread title edited to not be so Ryanir-specific

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

is this 10€ each way?

ilovecars wrote: »
    is this 10€ each way?

No, I think it's €10 per flight departing from Dublin.

Actually, is it just Dublin, or are other Irish airports affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

So if you book a flight for 1c with Ryanair you pay 1000% of the flight for this new tax and if you book a flight for €1000 with Air Lingus you pay 1%?

Have I got that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Yeah,
    I happened to get a fare with all taxes 'included' and this charge was additional to that, whereas in the past, the special offer price included everything (except the one way handling charge and airport check in, which I have to do also).

esharknz wrote: »
    (except the one way handling charge and airport check in, which I have to do also).

..but you can get that refunded esharknz, after your flight, by writing to Ryananir Customer Services.
    Where a passenger is unable to avail of Online Check-in by reason only of not being the holder of either a valid passport or a National Identity Card, issued by the government of an EU/EEA country, any airport check-in fee paid will be refunded upon application.
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/IE/conditions.php

I always do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Wow!
    Thanks very much. I didn't realise that I could get that money back at all, and just had to stump up with it.

What annoyed me more though is having to book twice for a weekend away as OH is Irish and can check in online (saving €10). Some security risk!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

bob123456 wrote: »
    So if you book a flight for 1c with Ryanair you pay 1000% of the flight for this new tax and if you book a flight for €1000 with Air Lingus you pay 1%?

Have I got that right?

Yep.

Also if you book a 1c flight with Ryanair you'll pay 500 times that on a credit card fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Actually, is it just Dublin, or are other Irish airports affected?
    It's all Irish airports for aircraft capable or carrying 20 or more passengers. There are two rates and they use Dublin Airport as the marker.

• €2 will apply where the flight is to a destination located not more than 300 kilometres from Dublin Airport
    • €10 will apply to flights to any other destination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Its a simple departure tax. It is applied to all flights departing from airports in the republic of Ireland.

In the UK they call it Air Passenger Duty and it costs from £10 to £80 depending on where you fly and what class you fly.

In France it is from €1 to €40, In New Zealand its $25. Quite a lot of countries charge it in some form or another. The usa adds tax to airline fuel, so its built into the ticket prices.

On your ticket it will just show as taxes & charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cammy86

I just booked a flight to the UK end of March till start April as I didn't have to pay this insane tax. Mr O leary has a petition going at the moment to join when you book a flight at the end of booking you can sign up which sends a email to the government to scrap this tax. I am totally in agreement with him. In these hard times and where businesses are closing and what with the euro being bad we want to encourage tourists to visit Ireland not tax them to come here. Government need to sort it out!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

darc wrote: »
    Its a simple departure tax. It is applied to all flights departing from airports in the republic of Ireland.

In the UK they call it Air Passenger Duty and it costs from £10 to £80 depending on where you fly and what class you fly.

In France it is from €1 to €40, In New Zealand its $25. Quite a lot of countries charge it in some form or another. The usa adds tax to airline fuel, so its built into the ticket prices.

On your ticket it will just show as taxes & charges.

How is this different to the taxes and charges that already go on flights? Normally when you book with Ryanair the taxes and charges already make up more than 50% of the cost (for my usual trips home from the UK anyway), but then when Ryanair do special offers they absorb the taxes and charges and just charge you for the flight. How is this tax different from what was there before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

..but you can get that refunded esharknz, after your flight, by writing to Ryananir Customer Services.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/IE/conditions.php

I always do. :)

I'm particuarly slow tonight so can someone explain this ?
    If you don't have a passport or EU National Identity card you can get this check-in charge refunded :confused:

good question. I always book early on flights and get the current offers which never have taxes and charges but normal priced flights do. What ryanair do is encourage the first so many passengers to take up there offer on a flight then when they have a certain amount of passengers they change the flight from special to normal price with taxes and charges that way most of the passengers who book on the regular fare pay these taxes and charges. They can afford to not charge the first special offer passengers for that flight because when the flight goes up high when more and more people book on that flight so does the taxes and charges and thats how they claw there taxes and charges back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Cammy86 wrote: »
    I just booked a flight to the UK end of March till start April as I didn't have to pay this insane tax. Mr O leary has a petition going at the moment to join when you book a flight at the end of booking you can sign up which sends a email to the government to scrap this tax. I am totally in agreement with him. In these hard times and where businesses are closing and what with the euro being bad we want to encourage tourists to visit Ireland not tax them to come here. Government need to sort it out!!!!

INSANE TAX???
    EH WE HAVE NO MONEY WE NEED THIS TAX IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO FLY YOU CAN AFFORD TO PAY
    SIMPLE!!!

I can afford to fly by booking early and avoiding this charge. My flight was less than the charge itself. Just a low government claw to rip people off because they can't think of other ways to make money. Its low!!! Like lower retail food shopping to make shopper stay here rather than shop north.

Its not low. The government needs to raise revenue desperately,this is probably the fairest tax they've introduced I would expect it to go up, in these times flying is nothing more than a luxury.

So you would rather see less people coming through Ireland because they won't pay this tax. Brilliant idea, no tourists to pump money into the economy. Its not a luxury to fly when you are hard up and have family in the UK, its a cheap only option. Well why don't they just put car tax up that's a luxury then if your saying flying is a luxury and there are more cars on the road than planes. They will soon make money. Government needs there heads knocking together!!!

If you can afford now to book to visit the USA would an extra €10 make any difference? No
    Its exactly the same for anyone coming to Ireland their not going to suddenly change their mind because they have to pay another €10.
    On the subject of car tax its already very high in Ireland much higher than the UK for example but that will go up too. The airline tax is only catching up on other countries.

I am going to the UK not USA. Yes I would mind paying this tax. If you had a group of people going its a lot of money. Car tax is expensive but hey so is everything else in Ireland so raising tax on vehicles will not harm anyone.
    Yeah let them carry on charging people into Ireland and see this country suffer. What could they tax people on next oh well they have silly ideas up there sleeves maybe taxing people to use public transport you get encouraged to use it but get taxed to use it at the same time. Cut government pay actually sack all of them and get some decent person in. There you go that will save money!!!!!

• Advertisement

Well we can certainly agree on 1 thing the government needs changing. However €10 won't stop anyone who wants and can afford to visit Ireland coming. At least prices are dropping to negate some of the tax increases.
    I don't think we will agree on the airline tax its the only fair measure introduced imo and nothing you've said has changed my opinion.

Advertisement