Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime in Maynooth

Options
  • 18-02-2009 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Anyone else noticing the crime levels in Maynooth at present or have you been effected by it? I've seen burnt out cars in two estates. Crazy stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

jeez looeze

i have totaly noticed it. its giving a negative vibe in the community!
    our lovely town is being tainted by these foul deeds.

where are the gardai in these times of dire needs??

i ask you as fellow citizens put a stop to this nonsencity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Batman tbh

I AGREE.

we sooooooo have to get batman to kick crime in the goolies (balls):P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

There's a young group of knacks (mainly from a certain estate - & 2 from the same family) who are the main cause of any vandalism in the town.

If you read the Liffey Champion, you'll regularly see these "youth's who cannot be named for legal reasons". They get caught, and yet the judge lets them off every time more or less.

Vigilante's are the only ways to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tsai

What Form Of Crime ? Drugs ? Violence ?
    Y'Know That Polish Shop Behind The New Londis ?
    Someone Has Written "Polish Out."
    Quite Retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

dara95 wrote: »
    where are the gardai in these times of dire needs??

Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Alan1988

Is it worse than any other place in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

I will be your vigalante!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Students_01.jpg

Yes they look so innocent and friendly but at night time and with excessive amounts of alcohol they turn to monsters. They do inexcusable things like...screaming and running around naked.
    PrivateEye wrote: »
    Students_01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SeanMurphy

I know of a house full of female students who were burgaled over the weekend and whos laptops were all stolen.

Some were finishing their masters this year and had their disertations stolen. Backup flash drives were taken aswell. They were stuck in the USB ports.

Some people make me f***ing sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Sean, where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Tsai wrote: »
    Someone Has Written "Polish Out."

Damn, and I really needed some shoe polish!

Seriously, everywhere has these scumbags, Maynooth is no exception.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Naas
    The Leixlip station covers Maynooth now, I think.

As for the town, I had the crap kicked out of me on the main street one night. That was 15 years ago. The place hasn't changed a bit.

Although, like someone else said, you get scumbags everywhere.

Ouch, the amount of work they have to catch up on :(
    SeanMurphy wrote: »
    I know of a house full of female students who were burgaled over the weekend and whos laptops were all stolen.

Some were finishing their masters this year and had their disertations stolen. Backup flash drives were taken aswell. They were stuck in the USB ports.

banquo wrote: »
    Sean, where was that?

Sorry banquo but I dont think I should say tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I know what you're saying, anyone who leaves their pen drive in the USB port makes me sick as well! :mad:

EDIT:
    Although to be honest, only one backup of your dissertation??? Madness! When I was writing my PhD in Maynooth, I had it backed up onto 4 different Zip drives, my home computer and my lab computer. I also emailed myself copies of all the files and had the content stored on a server by a friend of mine in the Computer Science Department.

Youre right. Its all their fault. lol Ah yeah I know what you mean though. I would have the same as you man. Its just unfortunate for them.

Its just unfortunate for them.

Yup, it would have destroyed me tbh!!

Regarding crime, the last time I was back in Maynooth I was shocked to see houses in Meadowbrook that were boarded up! The place looked really shoddy and run down. When I first went to Maynooth meadowbrook was only been built and I lived there and in Beaufield for years and it was a lovely place to live. Hardly any crime back then, apart from the odd spate or house robberies. I suppose though, back then students just didn't have laptops, never mind cars! Unlike today where it's almost impossible to get a parking space in the University because of the amount of students with cars!

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I had it backed up onto 4 different Zip drives, my home computer and my lab computer. I also emailed myself copies of all the files and had the content stored on a server by a friend of mine in the Computer Science Department.

Can never be...to safe can you ;)

• Advertisement

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Can never be...to safe can you ;)

If you've ever had to write a PhD thesis you'll know that I was only minorly paranoid, some people I knew went to extremes :pac:

Seriously, if you want to keep a backup of something, to keep it safe, you don't store it in the same place as the only other copy available. A laptop can be stolen at any time, much more easily than a desktop too.

Student houses tend also to be unalarmed (at least the places I lived in were!) so are at even greater risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yup, it would have destroyed me tbh!!

Regarding crime, the last time I was back in Maynooth I was shocked to see houses in Meadowbrook that were boarded up! The place looked really shoddy and run down. When I first went to Maynooth meadowbrook was only been built and I lived there and in Beaufield for years and it was a lovely place to live. Hardly any crime back then, apart from the odd spate or house robberies. I suppose though, back then students just didn't have laptops, never mind cars! Unlike today where it's almost impossible to get a parking space in the University because of the amount of students with cars!

Unfortunately, parts of Meadowbrook and a few other areas suffer from the absentee landlord syndrome, who don't care about the appearance of their properties. whilst it may be Maynooth, it's not Maynooth people living in these houses, or even Maynooth people who own them.
    If residents associations were a lot stronger, then a lot of these issues would go away.
    Unfortunately, we live beside student houses, but I have no problem ringing the relevant landlords in the middle of the night if we are kept awake by student antics.
    Crime isn't really a big problem in Maynooth, but there is a spate of graffiti going on at present.

I think the only solution is for people to "use the head". Given the current economic climate in Ireland, the government has been forced to cut back on things like emergency services. I was talking to a Garda last night, based out in Ballyfermot who told me that they were only taking on 100 new recruits next year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Boarded up houses should be squatted in :P

It looks really bad and something should be done. Haven't been over that way in a while so haven't seen it.

I used to live in Straffan Woods a while ago and the house next door was empty. Didn't look like anyone ever lived in it and the grass was up to the window, just looked mad. I didn't mind that so much because there was no chance of noise from them :D

I think the only solution is for people to "use the head". Given the current economic climate in Ireland, the government has been forced to cut back on things like emergency services. I was talking to a Garda last night, based out in Ballyfermot who told me that they were only taking on 100 new recruits next year..

Get the pen pushers out on the street, create a system with less paperwork, creating more time.

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    I will be your vigalante!

me 2!!!

we need more volounteers!! who else shall be the vigilantes of maynooth??

im goin 2 set up a thread dedicated to this!!!post on the tread if you are also a vigilante

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Regarding crime, the last time I was back in Maynooth I was shocked to see houses in Meadowbrook that were boarded up!

Only two houses I remember boarded up in Meadowbrook were beside the river at the Greenfield end - and thats because they burnt out and were awaiting rebuilding... rebuilt now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BOOKWORM.1

Well since I first started this thread things have gone from bad to worse. I've heard of cars being burnt out and paint being thrown over cars and houses. The Gardai know who's causing all of this and may I add so does the dogs on the street but of course nothing is being done about it. Just goes to show the **** legal system we have here:mad: The coppers seem terrified if you ask me.

Sorry myself and Dara95 have been busy recently and haven't had the time to set up the vigalante group. Will be sorted soon.
    BOOKWORM.1 wrote: »
    Well since I first started this thread things have gone from bad to worse. I've heard of cars being burnt out and paint being thrown over cars and houses. The Gardai know who's causing all of this and may I add so does the dogs on the street but of course nothing is being done about it. Just goes to show the **** legal system we have here:mad: The coppers seem terrified if you ask me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement