Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N95

• 18-02-2009 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Just got the above through my ol fellas upgrade. Had the Samsung f700 & am glad to be back with Nokia. One issue so are is with the GPS, I cant locate a satellite. Do you have to have a contract to access the maps or can prepay do it as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jimboddb wrote: »
    Just got the above through my ol fellas upgrade. Had the Samsung f700 & am glad to be back with Nokia. One issue so are is with the GPS, I cant locate a satellite. Do you have to have a contract to access the maps or can prepay do it as well.

Thats a common problem with the n95, but generally when starting out. First thing i would do is do a Software update from nokia. [Link]

You do need to be outside to pick up a satellite. Be patient, connecting to the GPS system can take a while. You dont need to be in a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭wba88

first time usually takes 20mins or so in my experience (have 2 n95s). do it when there isnt many clouds in the sky and outside without being surrounded by buildings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

I have a n95 8G and before that a N95. The gps was useless for a long while,sometimes taking over 10 mins for a lock. I honestly thought it wasn't working the first time i used it , it was so slow. But after plenty of firmware upgrades and the assisted gps feature, it works very well now, sometimes only taken a minute to locate over 4 satellites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Does Assisted GPS cost for a data connection or is it free?

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Does Assisted GPS cost for a data connection or is it free?

MC

Assisted GPS (aGPS) requires a data connection, so unless you have a data bundle or are on prepay, you'll be charged. This is one of the more recent causes of bill shock amount postpaid customers, as you could end up owing a large amount of money depending on how much you use the feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

The quickest way to get a gps lock is by opening the phone slider, allowing it to have an uninterupted view of the sky. Then go into the GPS data application> Navigation>Options>Satelite Status. Then wait until you have a few fully white bars(the empty ones dont count), open up maps, without closing gps data, and hey presto!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

I still havent managed to pick up any but gonna give it a proper try later. No doubt ill be back with more questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i also find holding it in your hand stops it working. quite often i'd be holding it for about 15 minutes and then put it down on the roof of a car or whatever and it locks on in seconds. even holding it upside down by the screen and not having your hand on the keypad where the gps is can help

and even when the gps has locked, if i put my thumb over the keypad i find the accuracy drops as in the circle around me gets bigger on google maps and gets smaller again when i take my thumb away

or maybe i'm just insane :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Very important to always have the slider up when using the GPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

In relation to billshock, I too have just got the N95 with Meteor and am keen to avoid a repeat of what happened when I got my last phone, i.e. a huge bill for GPRS use. If I use my WLAN, will the 3G service never be used? Or if it is being used, is there something to indicate its use on the menu screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

In relation to billshock, I too have just got the N95 with Meteor and am keen to avoid a repeat of what happened when I got my last phone, i.e. a huge bill for GPRS use. If I use my WLAN, will the 3G service never be used? Or if it is being used, is there something to indicate its use on the menu screen?

On some handsets, I know specifically on the Nokia E and N series, if you are using Wi-Fi e.g. for Internet browsing, and there is a drop in Wi-Fi connection quality, the handset will default back to GPRS/3G and you will incur data charges from your mobile provider. It happens to a lot of users on different networks and is a pain in the backside. You would think that if you start off using Wi-Fi as a connection and you finish using it, that you would have been using Wi-Fi the whole time. Unfortunately this isn’t the case a lot of the time and causes many an issue with customers and mobile providers’ customer care teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

If you are using a data connection the symbol underneath the coverage indicator changes, see your manual for more info...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Assisted GPS (aGPS) requires a data connection, so unless you have a data bundle or are on prepay, you'll be charged. This is one of the more recent causes of bill shock amount postpaid customers, as you could end up owing a large amount of money depending on how much you use the feature.

to turn off A-GPS on the n95 8G:

menu > tools > settings > general tab > general > positioning > positioning methods > deselect Assisted GPS

no more data charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

to turn off A-GPS on the n95 8G:

menu > tools > settings > general tab > general > positioning > positioning methods > deselect Assisted GPS

no more data charges

It makes the program better to have the connection imo.

Another thing i have found to lock on quicker is if you are moving rather than in a stand still position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

i'm using garmin mobile xt v4 - maps installed on the phone
    this saves the current location & sat details when the app is closed.
    it normally locks on in about 30 seconds or less when I start the app again whether moving or stationary. normally it's faster if I am in the same location when restarting the app.

never used a-gps, never had a problem with the phone locking on, either thru nokia maps, google maps or garmin

have also used the phone as an external gps unit connected to a laptop via bluetooth - works a charm. can't remember the name of the app I was using for it tho :o

n95 8gig - brilliant phone :D

Advertisement