Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Renders

Options
  • 18-02-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just curious, what's the story with using an external program for renders?
    My teacher said I could, but I'm not sure whether all this will have to be explained, it's a completely different sort of program.

Photoworks is pathetic compared to a lot of other renderers, that's why I want to ask.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

''Output 6: Produce a photorealistic computer generated image of the artefact.''
    I don't see any explicit mention of Photoworks unlike how Solidworks was mentioned for previous outputs.

It only has to be saved as a JPEG they don't include it in the 'Electronic solidworks files on CD' section.

Are you able to to transfer a solidworks file into these other programs?
    Will you be do it in school?

I presume my opinion will now have to be disregarded as someone appears telling us that they know for a fact it cant be done:(. This is quite an infuriating project!

Have DCG threads taken over this is about the third one today?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

My question wasn't very well phrased, what I'm asking is will I have to dedicated a portion of a page to explaining how I rendered it, I'm fairly sure I can use it.

It's just that the render is, and I know it seems like bragging, fairly realistic,as I showed it to one of the others doing the project and he thought I was just showing him another picture of the dock. I'll need to explain it because the examiner may not believe that it's a render.

Has anyone actually gotten a decent render out of Photoworks, or am I just really bad at it? :D

Yeah, as the deadline gets closer, I'd say the DCG threads will just keep flooding in, there are so many questions.

As well as that, why didn't they just ask for a camera or a phone like they suggested at the start. At least those things had a history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I saw one that is pretty perfect but it was on one of the default photoworks backrounds so that would kinda seal it.
    You could always make it a little less good!

what is the name of this program you speak of?
    Something along the lines of Blender etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Des23 wrote: »
    Have DCG threads taken over this is about the third one today?
    I guess that's what happens when we get a project that no one really understands what we are supposed do it and what is expected of us.

Anyway I would suggest you just do it in Photoworks. Thinking outside the box is not the best thing to do. From what I understand the Photoworks aspect of the project is not worth to many marks and so there should not really be to much work put into it.

The concerns posted above are also valid as you would need to ensure that you would be able to do it in class under the supervision of a teacher.

I would be careful with the "Electronic Solidworks files on CD" portion aswell. I have put all of the Solidworks files on the CD just in case. This includes a Solidworks file with the Photoworks information saved in it.
    Heggy wrote: »
    Has anyone actually gotten a decent render out of Photoworks, or am I just really bad at it? :D

I got a fairly decent photo realistic version of the one I did however due to certain minor differences between the actual docking station and the modeled version when you put them side by side it is obvious that one of them is actually modeled. If I have taken a better picture of the actual docking station it would have been a good guessing game however. :D

Blender is ok, but the program I used was Mental Ray, in . .um, 3ds Max. :D
    Transferred as a WRL file.
    Look if you want The more I look at it, the more flaws I see. :D

We haven't gone near the rendering yet, this was just me doing it outside, in the end I'll probably leave it to Photoworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Heggy wrote: »
    Blender is ok, but the program I used was Mental Ray, in . .um, 3ds Max. :D
    Transferred as a WRL file.
    Look if you want The more I look at it, the more flaws I see. :D

We haven't gone near the rendering yet, this was just me doing it outside, in the end I'll probably leave it to Photoworks.

... That is way to realistic. They are not going to award you extra marks for going way beyond what we were asked to do.

It looks excellent though.

Also you do know that the rendering engine that Photoworks uses is Mental Ray.

Yeah but 3ds Max gives a lot more freedom with the properties of the light and materials. Plus, I was used to the program so it wasn't much bother to set up. But you're right, there probably is no need to go too far above what's needed.

And thanks. :D

Advertisement