Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Magnet, will Eircom Wireless router work?

Options
  • 18-02-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I have an eircom wireless router from a previous house and now have Magnet broadband FTTH. The wall connections are ethernet type cables.

Is there anyway i can use my old eircom router or do i have to buy a new one to enable wireless access around the home?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

bollxboy wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an eircom wireless router from a previous house and now have Magnet broadband FTTH. The wall connections are ethernet type cables.

Is there anyway i can use my old eircom router or do i have to buy a new one to enable wireless access around the home?

Cheers

Is the eircom box a router or modem+router. I'd say that it's the latter, in which case I'd doubt if it accepts the network cable as input. I had to throw out (give away) my belkin modem/router I used in my old house (on eircom) and get a router only for the new place where I am on FTTH through Magnet.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

bollxboy wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers

You can pick one up on rental for €7.50 per month or €99 once off. Do you know who to call for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

i have the magnet supplied wireless router which they say is not a router but some kind of media box that as a bonus allows you to connect wirelessly to the net.

I've found it crap to be honest on one laptop it connects fine the other it hangs on pages and sometimes doesn;t connect.

It does the same thing when i use it on my phones wifi, don't why would love to know

i have the magnet supplied wireless router which they say is not a router but some kind of media box that as a bonus allows you to connect wirelessly to the net.

I've found it crap to be honest on one laptop it connects fine the other it hangs on pages and sometimes doesn;t connect.

It does the same thing when i use it on my phones wifi, don't why would love to know

Have you contacted customer service on this? Would you like me to get someone to give you a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

what wireless router can you use with magnet, another monopoly in an apartment block how do they get away with it!!

• Advertisement

waster81 wrote: »
    what wireless router can you use with magnet, another monopoly in an apartment block how do they get away with it!!

There are a number of wireless routers which work in FTTH areas, our Ruckus box is supported by customer services so we will always recommend that.

On the note about a monopoly service provider; what service are you referring to? In all FTTH areas that we service, customers are capable of receiving other broadband providers.

IN Carrington, Northwood magnet seem to be the only provider, cant access ntl, eircom in the apartments maybe im wrong?

IN Carrington, Northwood magnet seem to be the only provider, cant access ntl, eircom in the apartments maybe im wrong?

I dont know of any area in metropolitan Dublin where eircom cant offer DSL, even if they are not available you have the choice of multiple wireless/mobile providers. In truth no company can boast a broadband monopoly in any area (that I know of) in metropolitan Dublin.

In any case Magnets services are technically superior to the eircom service, speeds go up to 50Mb, contention is 1:1 and we have no usage limits just for starters.

Is there anything I can help you with? Maybe you're having difficulty with the set up?

Im just moving into carrington, was on to sales department, they couldnt say what wireless router work with magent other than the ruckus, but it only has one port at the back, wondering have you got a list of wireless routers that work with magnet ie. belkin, netgear.
    I need it for online gaming, an to open a few ports etc.

If you could provide a list of wireless router that i could buy that be great thanks.

Im just moving into carrington, was on to sales department, they couldnt say what wireless router work with magent other than the ruckus, but it only has one port at the back, wondering have you got a list of wireless routers that work with magnet ie. belkin, netgear.
    I need it for online gaming, an to open a few ports etc.

If you could provide a list of wireless router that i could buy that be great thanks.

I get you. Can you send me a PM with your account details/mobile number and name.

I have to get the info from one of the guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement