Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog kennels ?

Options
  • 18-02-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi just wondering if anybody knows of a good dog kennel or minder in the dublin or wicklow area. im going on a family holiday in june and hate to have to leave my cavalier shes like the baby of the house that why im not sure a kennell would be a good idea shes a real attention seeker and is never on her own for more than an hour

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I found this information by Googling "dog kennel wicklow" it might be of some help http://www.irelands-directory.com/Wicklow/Wicklow/Animal%20Welfare/BoardingKennels.html

You need to make sure you aren't spoiling your dog too much by giving her too much attention? There may be times you need to leave her alone so perhaps introducing longer periods when you are absent might not be a bad idea?

We have 3 dogs, aged 8, 4 and our latest puppy is nearly 8 months old but I've built up the time I can leave them (with no peeing in the house now thank goodness) to about 2 hours. Once she is older I'll leave them for 4 or 5 hours if I need to go somewhere I can't take them with me.

Our Springer cries if we leave them at the kennels we use but the lady assures me that once we go they settle down fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

I have only ever used boarding kennels so my reply is just about that.

It would be a good idea to leave your dog in the kennels for a weekend prior to your holidays so she can get used to it. I always think it is very important to occasionally send your dog to kennels just once or twice a year for a night even so that if circumstances change in the future, going to kennels is not a brand new experience in middle age.

Most dogs thrive in a good boarding kennels - even ones that don't usually act like or enjoy 'doggy pursuits'. The kennel workers are usually very experienced at relating to all kinds of dog personalities and know how to both settle in your dog and bring out the best in her for that environment.

Visit the kennels first, make sure you like it and you like the staff, that you are happy with the accomodation and routine. Then leave your little one in for a night or two and see how she likes it. This should set your mind totally at peace before your holiday proper.

I use a great boarding kennels about 10 minutes outside Wicklow town. I can send you the details if your are interested. Remember good kennels book up quickly so don't leave this too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Highly recommend Yuppi Puppie in Bray area, my parents are the fussiest people when it comes to their spoilt dog. They had never left her in over 4 years, in kennels and would prefer to drive the 80 miles down to me instead. Last time they went away we were away as well so they had to find a kennel. So they phoned to book her in, the girl there was perfectly happy for them to see the place, she keeps the smaller dogs in her home and my parents dog just spent the day wandering around the house following her around. She had her own bed in the kitchen.

My ouldies were very happy with the service I have never heard a single negative thing about the place either and would use them for my own dogs if I lived up that end of the country.

http://www.yuppiepuppie.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Have PM's you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

Hi,

I run a "home-from-home" dog kennels where your dog would come & live with my 5 dogs if you're interested?? PM me for details. I am based in Wicklow but pick up & drop off in Dublin Monday - Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 prendema

I would also be interested in finding a dog-minder in Wicklow (based between Avoca and Redcross). Two of my are rescues and go into an emotional tail spin when out of their home environment so kennels are not an option.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Thels

Hi, I run a home from home boarding for small doggies. I have 3 cavaliers. Drop me a line if you still need a place or more info. :)

Advertisement