Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catsan cat litter

• 18-02-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    can anyone tell me where I could get Catsan cat litter in North County Dublin please? I've been using World's Best Cat Litter since I got my cat 10 days ago and he's gone through a 7.5 kg bag (which cost me 32 euro) already. I want to move to Catsan cause I'm told it's just as good and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Lykke

Waraf ,

Are you sure it's a cat you have ??? :eek:

7.5Kg Bag of worlds best should last 1 cat 2-2.5 Months

We use it all the time for our selection of Maine Coons

have had no problems found it a lot better than clay type litter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Lykke wrote: »
    Waraf ,

Are you sure it's a cat you have ??? :eek:

7.5Kg Bag of worlds best should last 1 cat 2-2.5 Months

Yeah it says something like that on the bag alright but my lad is flying through it. I use it in a littermaid automatic litter tray. The littermaid only removes the clumps 10 mins after the cat has paid a visit so it's not like I'm being wasteful with the stuff. There's no way I'm gonna spend 100 euro a month on cat litter which is obviously why I'm looking for catsan....

we use it wth standard litter trays and the guide for usage on the bag is pretty accurate , never seen the automated trays in operation

Is the littermaid only taking out the clumped litter ?

does it take any loose litter with it.

we use it wth standard litter trays and the guide for usage on the bag is pretty accurate , never seen the automated trays in operation

Is the littermaid only taking out the clumped litter ?

does it take any loose litter with it.

Yeah it takes a little bit of loose litter out with the clumps but not much - maybe and extra 10 or 15%. Maybe my cat just pees a lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi OP,

Have you tried Cat's Best Oko Plus? It's a clumping plant based cat litter, like world's best, but a lot cheaper (here in wicklow it's €7.50 for a 10 litre bag, or it can be bought on zooplus.co.uk for £6.90 for 10 litre / £22.90 for 40 litre. This is clumping and I've found it brilliant.

I don't recommend catscan. It's nearly €6 in Tesco for only 5 litres, and I've found it's not that abosorbant, plus it really does nothing for smells. If you can, I would order the following Golden Grey: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/silicate_litter/29960 . It clumps very well, aborbs orders very well, and it's only £11.99 for 14kg.

The only reason I switched to Cat's Best is because of the tracking. My cats like to wash they paws in their water bowl, and with the clay it would turn to a muddy paste and really get stuck in our wood floors. The Cat's Best tracks as well, but it's easier to clean up. I got a litter mat to try to avoid tracking, but my cats just jump over it on the way out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah OP - buying online is the way to go - I get this one and the bag lasts months : http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter/clumping_litter/127203
    I got a litter mat to try to avoid tracking, but my cats just jump over it on the way out :rolleyes:

:pac: i got one of them too (shaped like a big rubber paw) and the cat kept scraping it away from the front of the litter tray out of his way! Then got a machine washable mat in tescos for €5 and he has no probs with it and it catches everything.

Hi OP,

Have you tried Cat's Best Oko Plus? It's a clumping plant based cat litter, like world's best, but a lot cheaper (here in wicklow it's €7.50 for a 10 litre bag, or it can be bought on zooplus.co.uk for £6.90 for 10 litre / £22.90 for 40 litre. This is clumping and I've found it brilliant.

I don't recommend catscan. It's nearly €6 in Tesco for only 5 litres, and I've found it's not that abosorbant, plus it really does nothing for smells. If you can, I would order the following Golden Grey: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/silicate_litter/29960 . It clumps very well, aborbs orders very well, and it's only £11.99 for 14kg.

Yes I have tried Oko Plus but it doesn't work in the littermaid as the grains aren't fine enough. I'm not sure if I can use a silicate litter in the liter maid either but thanks for answering my question about where to get Catsan - I'll drop into Tesco tomorrow and pick up a bag. (6 euro for 5 litres of catsan is a lot better than 32 euro for 7.5 litres of world's best) I fear this may be a long process whereby I'm going to have to try several brands before I find a suitable one. Anyway, thanks again for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

waraf wrote: »
    I fear this may be a long process whereby I'm going to have to try several brands before I find a suitable one.

It might be easier and significantly cheaper to try a normal litter tray first.

It might be easier and significantly cheaper to try a normal litter tray first.

Yes but I have already bought the littermaid and it works well in that I can leave the littermaid alone for a few days and I know that the litter will always be clean enough for my cat to use. It's just a matter of finding the right litter to use with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

I have a Litter Robot imported from the States (which is brilliant btw!) and had to use Catsan as no other easily available litter - I don't have a car - worked very well with it.

However, I've since discovered the Husse litter and it works brilliantly. And they deliver. For free. I have no affiliation apart from being a happy customer :)

See http://husse.ie/view-product-type.php?type=Cat%20Litter&Sect=Products

I have three indoor cats and a box lasts about 5-6 weeks.

• Advertisement

nephster wrote: »
    I have a Litter Robot imported from the States (which is brilliant btw!) and had to use Catsan as no other easily available litter - I don't have a car - worked very well with it.

However, I've since discovered the Husse litter and it works brilliantly. And they deliver. For free. I have no affiliation apart from being a happy customer :)

See http://husse.ie/view-product-type.php?type=Cat%20Litter&Sect=Products

I have three indoor cats and a box lasts about 5-6 weeks.

Cool. Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try.

BTW at 329 dollars (according to their website) the litter robot would want to be brilliant (and make me breakfast to boot!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Cool. Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try.

BTW at 329 dollars (according to their website) the litter robot would want to be brilliant (and make me breakfast to boot!!)

I wouldn't want anything that's been in a litter tray anywhere near my breakfast! :pac:

Yes I have tried Oko Plus but it doesn't work in the littermaid as the grains aren't fine enough. I'm not sure if I can use a silicate litter in the liter maid either but thanks for answering my question about where to get Catsan - I'll drop into Tesco tomorrow and pick up a bag. (6 euro for 5 litres of catsan is a lot better than 32 euro for 7.5 litres of world's best) I fear this may be a long process whereby I'm going to have to try several brands before I find a suitable one. Anyway, thanks again for your reply

Waraf ,

If your up around Newry direction saw 20L bag of catsan in a well known pet shop yesterday for £7.91

Waraf ,

If your up around Newry direction saw 20L bag of catsan in a well known pet shop yesterday for £7.91

Thanks Lykke. Any chance you could give me the name/address of said shop please? (you can PM me if you feel uncomfortable posting the details)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭conan doyle

Thanks Lykke. Any chance you could give me the name/address of said shop please? (you can PM me if you feel uncomfortable posting the details)

Been reading about your cat problem, if you cant get cansan why not give thomas cat litter ago. It's not too expensive and readily available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Been reading about your cat problem, if you cant get cansan why not give thomas cat litter ago. It's not too expensive and readily available

It's worth giving a go. Just be aware that if you have any dust allergies/respiratory problems/etc., clay litters will probably drive you mad and Thomas Cat Litter is one of the worst I've ever come across for dust.
    Also, I'm pretty sure that clay litters are bad for cats (or at least kittens) as the dust gets on their fur, they ingest it while cleaning themselves and it can then cause digestive blockages.

PM Sent

PM Sent

Thanks Lykke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Gee; makes us glad our cats use the great outdoors all the time. Before that they were on torn up newpapers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is catscan litter that really hard stoney one because if that is the one then we stopped using it as we noticed the cats were getting sore paws from using it. If they are licking their paws alot check between toes/claws for nasty cracks.

We now use a mixture of recycled paper and clay litter(we mix the two ourself) which is cheap.

I am pretty sure it was the catscan that was hurting the cats paws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭katerina621

at Tesco

Advertisement