Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How to view downloaded IMAP folders and emails

• 18-02-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my hosting package which involved complete move of files, dbs and email.

On my old package, I had ftp access to my IMAP folders, so I downloaded them anticipating that I could just copy them over to new hosting. But I actually don't have ftp access to where my new email folders are located.

How can I view my local, downloaded copy of my IMAP folders and email? Is there a utility I can use? Ideally I would like to upload them to my new account, somehow.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

If you have them in your old email account on your desktop, when you fire that up it should sync.

Failing that -- get in touch with your hosting vendor and they'll sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hi,

Problem is:

1. I have been told by my hosting provider that emails can't be migrated.

2. I have a copy of the raw IMAP files and folders, downloaded via ftp and am looking for some sort of tool I can view these with...

anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Maybe you can do it via Thunbderbird?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If you still have access to the mail account on the old host (not just the files, the actual IMAP service), then you can copy the messages to a local store (using any IMAP client like Outlook or Thunderbird). If not, you can try (success is not guaranteed!) to install an IMAP server using the same format as your old host (most common ones are mbox and Maildir). If you're not au fait with installing servers, then you'll probably need to hire someone to do that for you.

Advertisement