Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead training for a Puppy

Options
  • 18-02-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi All

I have an 8 week old Golden Retriever

Am trying to train him to walk with me on lead but its proving difficult

He tugs and pulls nearly choking himself ... am going to buy a harness to use rather than collar ....

I live out the country so am afraid to let him run free in case he gets too far from me - he is a little young to trust yet ..

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Hi I have a golden puppy as well , he's nearly 16 weeks now and he's just about accepting the lead for small walks , at 8 weeks you should not really be talking him outside of a home environment as he had not had his final inoculations yet? and he really is a bit young for the lead yet , get him used to a collar first and when he is comfortable with that introduce him to the lead slowly , small amounts of exercise is recommended for goldens (five minutes for every month) because if they are exercised too hard when they are young if can affect their hip joints in later life ,

links to a few good forums one specifically for goldens and a great irish dog forum
    http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/index.php
    http://www.topdog.ie/index2.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tizzy

Hi

Am only taking him out to do his business and walking him around the house ...

do you think he would stay with me if i took him out without lead ... am afraid he will run from me ...

first time puppy owner here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

If you want you can train him to walk on a lead indoors first, I did this with all our dogs as pups before they were fully vaccinated, that why when they were vaccinated & all set to go, they knew how to walk on the lead!

-Basically let him get used to the collar.
    -When he's used to the collar, Bring him out into a hall way or somewhere away from distractions & have some nice treats
    -Get him to sit & attach the lead - give him a treat, tell him he's good & have a look & sniff at the lead if he wants, just so he's fully aware it's there
    -Slowly start walking & let him walk at his own pace, even if you have to stop 2 or 3 foot away & call him to you, this is to ensure he's comfortable with the lead & isn't doing the leaping choke thingy.
    - Keep doing this until you've reached the end of the hall, praise & reward
    - After about 20min of taking your time at this you'll see the difference

(well I did, even with the most difficult pups we had... they were walking perfect a couple days later & without treats, going soley on praise)

Eventually they learn walking on a lead is a good thing, when learning indoors they get treats or praise & then when walking out doors they get a sense of freedom (even with on the lead haha) & new surroundings ANDDD praise!

Thanks so much Ill give that a go ...

This morning we went to door without lead and he didnt want to go out .... so put it on and he followed me ... let him off the lead and he stayed with me (mind you he knew I had a treat for him)

Going to walk the lenth of hall with him later

Thanks again

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/training-a-puppy-to-walk-on-a-leash.html

another link with good tips for walking a puppy

enjoy your puppy , they get funnier every day , last night I left Joey in the kitchen for a few minutes and when i came back he was on the kitchen table eating the cake I had left there , the little fecker had jumped on a chair and then jumped on the table from the chair

• Advertisement

OMG on the table .... haha LOL

They are full of love and fun and a wonderful new friend

I just want to get off the good start :)

He is fast asleep at my feet at the moment -loves his naps

He is great at doing business outside - we had the odd accident but generally very good

Thanks for the advice and link .. all help appreciated

you should really have a look at topdog.ie , really great site for dog lovers ,introduce yourself and put up a few puppy pics and you will feel right at home ,

Advertisement