Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervical cancer misinformation

Options
  • 18-02-2009 10:10pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I had to get it off my chest. With all the Jade Goody news at the moment, there are lots of comments on the Internet (various boards and forums) about cervical cancer. I have to say I'm absolutely shocked at how many people are saying things like 'it's caused by an STD that careless/promiscuous people get' or 'serves her right for not using protection' or 'she should have been more careful who she slept with'. So many people seem to think it's an STI like chlamydia that can be prevented by condom use and testing. There IS no test for HPV in men (and I don't think for wonen either, in Ireland)! And even if there were, 70-80% of people are infected with HPV. It's so common, it's not even considered an STI the same way other infections are. That's why EVERY WOMAN is supposed to get tested, regardless of their sexual history. It only takes once - I developed abnormalities on my cervix after being with one person, and I was told this wasn't at all uncommon.

I am a bit worried and nervous about this as it is, without having to read everywhere that Jade Goody supposedly brought this on herself. I don't even like her that much, but it's terribly sad what she's going through. If you get breast cancer or whatever else, people are sympathetic, but if it's cervical cancer it's your own fault for being a sl*t? Most of these comments are from men, which really enrages me. The amount of people who think the type of HPV to cause cervical cancer is the same as the type that causes warts is alarming as well. It's so ignorant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I feel very sorry for Jade Goody. I also think that she's very honest to openly say she's selling her story to support her boys after she dies. She lives in the media and has since whichever BB she was in, so at least she's doing things her way.

I watched one episode of her show on Channel 4 and it was so optimistic and so sad at the same time. I'm sure anyone who has had someone close to them suffer through something similar would have recognised elements in it - well, I did anyway.

I can't help thinking that the reason for all the venom towards Jade Goody is mainly because she is who she is, and has the persona she has created for herself over the years, like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.tellher.ie/

People are ignorant tbh but there is a link between HPV and cervical cancer.
    f you haven't heard about human papillomavirus, you're not alone. While it is common, many people know little or nothing about it. the human papillomavirus affects both women and men. It's a virus that doesn't always cause sympomatic diseases.

What are the different types of human papillomavirus?

What are the different types of human papillomavirus?There are more than 100 types of human papillomaviruses. Most of them are relatively harmless, like the ones that cause common warts found on hands and feet but a few are responsible for diseases such as cervical cancer, abnormal cervical cells and genital warts. For most people, the body’s own defence system will clear the virus.

About 40 types of human papillomaviruses affect the genital area. Four of these are responsible for a large proportion of common genital diseases:

* “High-risk” types (such as human papillomavirus Types 16 and 18) can cause cervical cancer or abnormal cells in the lining of the cervix that can sometimes turn into cancer.
    * “Low-risk” types (such as human papillomavirus Types 6 and 11) can cause genital warts and benign (abnormal, but not cancerous) changes in the cervix.

Who gets human papillomavirus and how?

Human papillomavirus is very common, easily transmitted and can be totally symptomless. Human papillomaviruses affect both women and men, and the majority of us will encounter this virus at some point in our life. Sexual relations, that involve genital contact with someone carrying genital papillomaviruses, could result in infection.

Genital contact with a single partner who has human papillomavirus is sufficient to cause infection. It has been shown that most people now contract the human papillomavirus in adolescence and early adulthood.

Although human papillomaviruses are common, they are very fortunately eliminated naturally in 90% of cases. However, sometimes they persist and can cause clinical symptoms in the short, medium or long term.

Symptoms and detection

Many people who have the human papillomavirus do not show any signs or symptoms so they may not know they have it. That's why smear tests and gynaecological examinations are so important. These can help detect any abnormal cell changes before they have a chance to become more serious.

If the human papillomavirus has no signs or symptoms, how will I know I have it?

Most women learn they have human papillomavirus following an abnormal cervical smear result.

Your doctor may also suggest that you have a human papillomavirus DNA test that can detect "high-risk" types of the human papillomavirus. This will determine if the abnormal cervical cells are caused by a "high-risk" type of human papillomavirus that could develop into cervical cancer. The results can help your doctor to decide if you need further tests or treatment.

Prevention - what is a cervical smear?

What is a smear test?

A smear test is a routine test, done by your GP or Practice Nurse, which checks for abnormal cells in the lining of the cervix. Your doctor will take a small sample of cells from the cervix (the lower part of the uterus where it meets the vagina). These cells are then examined in a laboratory. If any abnormal cells are found, further tests may be recommended.

There is no need to be scared of having a cervical smear — it’s a simple procedure that can help save your life.

How often should I get a cervical smear?

All women between 25 and 60 years of age should have regular smear test. You need to continue with regular smear tests after the menopause.

Unlike most of our European neighbours, Ireland has no nationwide screening programme whereby all women aged 25-60 years are invited by the State to attend their GP or family planning clinic for a free smear test every 3-5 years and abnormalities, if detected, can be treated.

(edit actually we do now, http://www.cervicalcheck.ie/
    Free phone: 1800 45 45 55 )

Make sure to have a cervical smear test as often as your GP recommends. It’s worth making time even if you’re busy or feeling perfectly fine. It’s an important part of taking control of your health and looking after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

When the cervical cancer vaccination came out in the US it was called the 'slut shot'.

In the Urban dictionary cervical cancer is known as 'the slut cancer'. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slut%20cancer

I am sick of reading articles on how Jade 'chose' to have cervical cancer because she probably has had multiple partners and was sexually active at a young age.

Its all a horrible reflection on how the establishment truly feels about supposed female sexual 'liberation'.

I have to admit that whats happening to Jade has scared the living daylights out of me. I hadnt had a smear in a good few months and have now booked myself in for one next month.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

panda100 wrote: »
    I hadnt had a smear in a good few months and have now booked myself in for one next month.

you know you only need one every 2-3 years dont you? obviously, unless you have had previous issues

• When the cervical cancer vaccination came out in the US it was called the 'slut shot'.

Ugh, that's disgusting. I really can't understand the reaction to it. And it's not a few idiots, it's a LOT of people. What's so hard to understand about 'the majority of people get HPV'? I felt really unlucky to have problems after being so careful and losing my virginity relatively late, and my doctor said while losing your virginity young increases the risk, it really can happen to anyone which is why screening is so important. I just can't believe the crap people are talking, people who should know better. Middle aged women saying things like 'the HPV vaccine shouldn't be necessary because girls should be more careful/responsible/less promiscuous'. ARGHHH!!!!

• Advertisement

Again it's ingorance like some of the shíte which was spouted when HIV/AIDS first
    became public knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

panda100 wrote: »
    Its all a horrible reflection on how the establishment truly feels about supposed female sexual 'liberation'.

Who is the "establishment"?

Sorry, i just feel like i am in the back of a hippy van heading towards a bottle of acid and a pound of grass.

People will, by and large, be quite ignorant about things on the faceless joy that is the internet. Doesn't really matter who you are, or what you like to take about, at times the vast majority of us will have cracked wise about things.

If you want to know how people feel about anything, it's best to talk to the people in your lives, as opposed to reading bull**** off the internet.

If you find the attitude and information possessed by the people around you is somewhat lacking, then procede to try and educate them.

If enough people try, enough people learn and attitudes change.

The above is pretty much a universal truth the last time i checked, sometimes it just takes a while.

Dragan wrote: »
    If you find the attitude and information possessed by the people around you is somewhat lacking, then proceed to try and educate them.

If enough people try, enough people learn and attitudes change.

The above is pretty much a universal truth the last time i checked, sometimes it just takes a while.

I agree but sometimes it can get a bit disheartening and you need to vent
    and breathe before you step back into the fray, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I agree but sometimes it can get a bit disheartening and you need to vent
    and breathe before you step back into the fray, again.

Very true, a good bitch can be higly cleansing alright!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I find the whole Jade Goody thing very sad.Dont get me wrong,I dislike her and everything about her but to read stuff about her deserving whats happening to her really says alot about humanity and celebrity.How many people can honestly say if they were in her shoes they wouldnt try and milk every single cent out of the media that they possibly could.I know I sure as hell would.There was a good article in Saturdays Irish Independent about how she has brought this illness into the public spotlight and is raising awareness that anyone can get cancer.At the end of the day though,she is probably dying and is going to leave 2 young boys without a mother,and thats the saddest thing of all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement