Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with BT service

Options
  • 18-02-2009 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello all,
    Im wondering if anybody has had problems with BT. Perhaps with the broadband speed(paying for a speed your not receiving) or with being overcharged. I have had these problems and am wondering if I am alone. If you have had problems with this company, I would like to hear the story.

John
    P.S. New to forums so please bear with me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Hi There,
    Welcome!

Are you experiencing speed issues/packet loss tonight? If so there is a thread opened already:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055492171

If your issues are ongoing ones there is plenty of info on here on each of the ISP's - just have a browse or do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

I am with BT and will be leaving as soon as I can arrange an alternative providor. I have been on a 512 (mg or gb??) package and have been paying for a 1 (mg/gb).

I had loss of service for 4 weeks before christmas and Im still waiting for a revised bill showing the discount I was promised for the loss of service, while I am waiting though I keep getting calls from their credit control dept looking for payment!! Rang today to complain about package mess up and was told to by customer service (i use the term loosly) that I needed to call tech support to fix it then call accounts to discuss amending the bill. So basically I'm expected to give up hours of my time calling them and sorting out their mistakes????? The customer care today put me on hold then after 4 or 5 minutes disconnected me.

I cant wait to leave them. The product and pricing are alright but in my opinion their customer and technical support are disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

buzz, see my thread, broadband 6 weeks down, was your phone ok and how did they fix your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnmc15

My first problem with Bt was similar to yours buzzymam, I was paying for the 24 meg package(minimum speed you should get is 7.6meg from there website), I was receiving 3-4meg. They tried to say it was because of my line but they installed the line! The line could only hold 6 meg max. You can check what speed your line can hold yourself if your curious. I was paying for a service they never planned on giving me. After twelve hours of arguing (from Bt bill!!actual call time!) and a call to consumer rights who agreed with me and advised taking them to the small claims court; they finally agreed to drop my monthly fee to package 2 which was the speed I was receiving.

After five months, they have taken 500 euro from my account. I asked how 50 euro a month for five months could be 500 euro; again, just arrogant replies. I have no doubt that they will overcharge me and I will have to spend another 12 hours trying to get my money back.

All this just got me thinking. I could not be the only one that they are trying to rip off. There staff seem better trained in arguing than customer service. As soon as I mentioned the small claims court, I received a phone call five minutes later from the supervisor. They obviously know that they are wrong and its just a case of "caught me, sorry!".

I would like to know what you all think about it. Any opinion is good.

Daytrader; are you still paying for the broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

yes I am

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Welcome to the wonderful world of BT!!!! JohnMC how and when did they take the 500 euros from you account? Was it by direct debit? If so did they notify you in advance? If you feel that this payment was not justified you should report the matter to your bank and ask them to reverse the charges and request that your bank make a formal complaint to BT's sponsoring bank in the dd scheme.

Also contact IPSO and make a formal complaint against BT. (www.ipso.ie) and also cancel the bt direct debit immediately. No matter how good the bb service can be for people BT lose no opportunity to prove that they are a consistently appalling company and treat people and their bank accounts with absolute contempt.

Well, my BT nightmare continues...... thankfully I transferred my account to eircom today so roll on 25 days and I will be a bt customer no more!!!

I tried contacting their credit control dept last week several times but the lines were always "experiencing high volume of calls" so I sent an e mail instead saying basically I was aware of the outstanding balance and was calling to try and sort out the mess they made of my no credit for 4 weeks BB out and lowered connection speed etc... Not surprisingly, the e mail was not acknowledged but I got another "pay your bill" call from credit control this evening. I explained that I tried to contact them, had e mailed them, their customer care had hung up on me last week etc..... When I told them I had transferred account to eircom the attitude changed immediately. I said I was prepared to pay bill from Dec and would wait for the closing statement to pay the jan-now account I was threatened with the "we might cut you off" spiel. So after 2 years custom, months of me dealing with the ignorance of their customer support, the complete lack of tech support, the fact that I work form home and 4 weeks no BB seriously and financially effected me what didi BT do........ restricted my landline to no outgoing calls!!!!!

What a shower of ...oh go I cant say in case the post is deleted, but I'm sure you know what I want to call them!!!

I know eircom are far from perfect but I literally would pay even more than the €45 bundle I'm getting from them to get away from horrendous BT.

I hope you guy get your issues with them sorted but take my advise, cancel you direct debits and move provisors, they are not worth the grief and stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

thankfully I transferred my account to eircom today so roll on 25 days and I will be a bt customer no more!!!
    i've ransferred my account to eircom few minutes ago .. bye-bye BT, so sick of them

alec76 wrote: »
    i've ransferred my account to eircom few minutes ago .. bye-bye BT, so sick of them

And hopefully you have cancelled your dd and bt account by registered post?

And requested an acknowledgement of both actions?

I cancelled my DD back in Dec coz i ddnt trust them to apply the 4 week credit to my bill, just as well coz they didnt! Least i know they can get no more money outa me.

• Advertisement

buzzymam wrote: »
    I cancelled my DD back in Dec coz i ddnt trust them to apply the 4 week credit to my bill, just as well coz they didnt! Least i know they can get no more money outa me.

Unfortunately that is not the case. Companies including BT have been known to 'reinstate' direct debits and hit ex customer's accounts. It is far from rare and was in fact acknowledged by the Chief Executive of IPSO (www.ipso.ie) on the recent Prime Time programme on customer care. Unfortunately he was not challenged on this practise.

Feck, i may get a letter organized. Nothing would surprise me with this shower to be honest. I was on to customer care last week with a complaint - her response was to hang up on me! Outrageous in this day and age to treat long standing customers like that. I never really had issue with their product or pricing but their systems for dealing with faults and complaints are atrocious. My only consolation to their dire treatment is that I can walk away happy to know that I'm not paying fro it anymore. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnmc15

I can't believe they are that bad. Is it legal what they do? If they overcharge me, can I claim through the small claims court?

Advertisement