Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaflets left on my Car Windscreen

Options
  • 18-02-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I sometimes park my car in one of Luas the Park n Ride carparks. Twice in the past month I have had advertising leaflets stuck under my windscreen wiper.

I plan to ring up the company and complain but I would like to know is this legal (i.e. littering?) or if (presuming) they have permission to do this from the car park management, does that make it ok?

It's certainly really annoying and doesn't make me want to use their service. Akin to junk mail.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes it's illegal, report them to your local authority and the company will be charged and fined with littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Its really, really annoying, but to be honest, with the recession I'm just putting up with it. Likewise with the increased amount of junk coming through my letter box. If I owned a business I would be taking the risk to try and generate some extra business!

If only I could do something about the clothing leaflets:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

More and more lately at dundrum car park there are people throwing leaflets in your window when you enter/leave. Usually they hand you one but twice now they've just stuck them through the window when i've rolled it down to get my ticket. Not as annoying as finding them on the car (especially if its rained and they're stuck) but still annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

why would you report them? Jst remove form windscreen, takes 2 seconds.. or have a look and you may be interested.. its not exactly a hanging offence

(Yes Im a business owner No I have never distributed leaflets in this way but mainly as I know people can be a bit anal about this sort of thing and would be counterproductive)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

But why should we have to deal with litter businesses leave on our cars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I got one yesterday from some eejit with a cleaning service and they broke my wiper!!! :mad: No need to pull it up that fooking far! Pricks! :mad:

No point even considering to call them about it, it was a hand written thing with bad spelling.

Annoyed :mad:

Kahless wrote: »
    But why should we have to deal with litter businesses leave on our cars?

Its not exactly "dealing with" it..just taking it off. I accept that people get annoyed over this ..just not sure why. I think its somethign with obsession with cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Old Gill wrote: »
    why would you report them? Jst remove form windscreen, takes 2 seconds.. or have a look and you may be interested.. its not exactly a hanging offence

(Yes Im a business owner No I have never distributed leaflets in this way but mainly as I know people can be a bit anal about this sort of thing and would be counterproductive)

Because the people they're being "given" to then have to pay to throw them away or, more likely, just throw them on the floor for them to become litter.

I can't think of any circumstances where I would buy a product that had been advertised on a leaflet. In fact, I'd actually avoid it.

The clothing collectors are gangsters, both home-grown and imported.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Heres the answer....collect them for a few weeks, then throw them in those "free clothing bags" with some old clothes you dont want and any other rubbish you dont need...problem solved...;)

Sids Not wrote: »
    Heres the answer....collect them for a few weeks, then throw them in those "free clothing bags" with some old clothes you dont want and any other rubbish you dont need...problem solved...;)

I actually like them...havent bought a bin liner in ages :D

As for SSE saying you need to pay to get rid of them???? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Its not exactly "dealing with" it..just taking it off. I accept that people get annoyed over this ..just not sure why. I think its somethign with obsession with cars?

Because I either had to throw it on the ground, as many people did, or put it in my car and then put it in my bin at home. Why should I have to do that when I didn't choose to take the leaftlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I actually like them...havent bought a bin liner in ages :D

As for SSE saying you need to pay to get rid of them???? :confused:

Well if you're dutiful and take them home you have to put them in the green bin don't you?

Not much point putting rubbish in the free clothing bags, most of these are filtered just round the corner anyway with anything unwanted dumped. If it's traced to you then you'll be liable....

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Pythia wrote: »
    Because I either had to throw it on the ground, as many people did, or put it in my car and then put it in my bin at home. Why should I have to do that when I didn't choose to take the leaftlet?

....because if you didn't it would still be under your windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I started a thread on this before a while back. The general consensus then was that I was complaining about nothing and to go worry about more important things.

These people should be done for littering. Why should I be done for littering if I turn on my wipers and it falls on the ground?

Pythia if you're leading a crusade I'm behind you !

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Some fecker put these on every car in my apartment complex last saturday!!:mad::mad: Typically, it rained, so it got turned to mush and was all over my car. And there were loads of them all over the plants and bushes in the grounds too. If I report them to the litter warden will anything actually be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Just an idea...

The rail carparks & apartment car parks are private property and therefore putting leaflets on cars may not be a littering offence.

I know if you put leaflets on cars on a dublin street the fine is very hefty & rigidly enforced.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's what I was wondering alright. I'd assume that they'd at least need permission from the management company before they go doing this. My OH mentioned to me last night that there were leaflets on the cars the previous saturday too, but he'd taken the one off my car when he was going down to the shop, so I never noticed. :mad:

Advertisement