Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 Gaming headphones

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I bought the Turtle Beach AK-R8 headphones and they arrived today. Faulty or design i'm not sure but there is crackling and noise distortion. Their support says turn down hardware acceleration on my graphics card as a work around. Not keen on work arounds after paying for a decent headset so they are going back and i'm looking for a refund.

Can any of you guys recommend a decent headset with mic for gaming and a decent site to purchase from?

EDIT: i have a creative Xi-Fi soundcard. Stupid thing about AK-R8 is that it insists on using its own USB soundcard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Turn down hardware acceleration on your video? jesus man..what' the point of that if you're trying to play games.
    Anyway return them asap.
    Pair I got Speedlink Medua 5.1 (pro gamer edition-doesn't have usb audio) work fantastic on my system.
    Highly recommended.

http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/headsets/speed-link-medusa-gamer-headset/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

my advice would be to forget gaming headsets,as the sound quality in general is dire. Get a proper set of headphones and a desk/clip on mic. You wont even consider gamiing headsets after.
    Something like a pair of Senns hd555 and a zalman clip on mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Great set of headphones but mainly for music.
    Especially in COD4/Battlefield series 5.1 is important..gives you a nice edge on the other players.
    CMSS in the X-Fi cards is really a crock of ****e...doesn't really work that well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I read up on the Speedlink Medua 5.1 and lots of good reviews. Only gripe people seemed to have was that they aren't long lasting but most said they're very cheap for what you get so don't mind this.

Senns do seem more for music and their 5.1 headsets seem expensive. I'll keep them in mind. I'm mainly looking for 5.1 due to not being able to fit a 5.1 speaker set up where i have my pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

+1 on the speedlink medusa 5.1 headphones

I am on my second set (puppies don't understand that headphones are not chew toys) and find the newer version is a big improvement over the old type.

Make sure that you shop around as there is a considerable difference in prices online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

+1 for not getting gaming headphones.I have a pair of Audio Technica AD700You only have 2 ears, I'm pretty sceptical about "gaming headphones"I've listened to my friends medusa and hated them.If somebody wants to prove me wrong do so...Senn, Grado, Audio Technicia and AKG, amoungst others, are good brands.

Advertisement