Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading Steam games on a different PC?

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

My home internet connection is fairly rubbish, and as a result downloading a game on Steam can take well over a week.

So, I was wondering if there's any way I could download from my work, where we have a very fast connection, and then copy it to my home PC?

I know Steam will let you backup games, so is that the only route to go? (not too keen on installing Steam in work).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Copy the steam folder from work to your home pc and just login, the folder structure has to kept exact.

i reformat quite a lot so my steam folder is D:/steam

each time i reinstall steam i just install it to there and all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Aye, just as dreamer said.

You'll notice when you install steam on the new PC and go to download the game...itll start the download...but will then suddenly jump to the 99% mark and finish :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just copy over the Steamapps folder - you should actually install Steam first on the home PC and then paste the Steamapps folder.

It will make sure steam hooks with the registry and Internet Explorer correctly. You could also create a backup DVD using the Steam backup feature.

Advertisement