Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking in laois

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I would like if people would give examples of any scenic walks, particularily where dogs are allowed.
    Tougher woods is an obvious one, past the rugby club, just outside portlaoise. Glenbarrow, up past Rosenallis in the slieve blooms is another one.
    The forest at the windy gap out the carlow road in stradbally.
    Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Travelling from Abbeyleix just before entering Durrow turn right and go in to the forest which is immediately on the right. There is few good looped walks along the river and through the wood.

Anywhere in the mountains is good as there are any amount of trails and walks to suit every length of walk. There is a nice one after the cut on the left which runs down to the river.

See Here for some good walks up there.

Here also

And here..

Are you tired yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Sorry for reviving an old thread but wasn't going to start another one on the same subject.

I too am looking for nice scenic places to walk the dogs. There's a few threads on here about places to see in Laois and such but I'm particularly looking for dog friendly places. I currently go to the following places but with summer approaching, I'd love to find some new spots, preferably with a lake or river for the dogs to swim in (and for the ultimate, beginner photographer to snap a few shots off :D). Some of these have been mentioned already but thought I'd make a wee list of the places I currently go for anyone that's interested:

1. Tougher woods - grand spot for a short walk close to Portlaoise
    2. Glenbarrow - lovely walk on the long loop but can be quite busy
    3. Ridge of capard- lovely walks to be had up there!
    4. Clonaslee - fabulous walks around this forest and a brilliant man made lake in it too
    5. Emo court- lovely walk but can be very busy and as a result, wouldn't be the dog friendliest of places.
    6. Cathole falls - very short walk and can be busy on fine days but it's a lovely spot and on hot days isn't bad for a swim yourself ;)

I've been saying about going to the forest on the stradbally road (I'm guessing that's the one you're talking about JP) but there always seems to be a lot of cars there. Up at "The Cut" seems nice too, is it worth the drive? What about Granstown Lake, anyone ever been? I saw a picture of Monicknew Bridge (posted below) and I'd love to head up there myself with the dogs and my camera but is there a walk around it or is it just a nice bridge with feck all around it?
    459819.jpg

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

There are a couple of nice walks up around the cut alright well worth a drive but can be busy on a sunday.

If ye are talking about the forest on the carlow side of stradbally (windy gap) it is pretty nice in there me and the other half often go for a walk up there. I must say the last couple of times i was there noticed a huge increase in the number of mountain bikes, they seem to have there own tracks going across the fire roads ya just have to be a little bit more alert.

Check out the forestry in garryhinch pretty nice with the barrow flowing thru it

Check out the bog down the back of emo court absolutely stunning and the local deer population seem to always be roaming around there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bobby

The Derries Wood which is situated on the road from Ballybrittas to Portlaoise is something I have seen but never visited. Is it any good? Has anyone walked in it?

How long does it take?

Does anyone know of good walks in and around Portarlington? I know of Emo and Carraig Hill but I was wondering are their any forest walks nearby that I can cycle or walk to?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Bobby wrote: »
    The Derries Wood which is situated on the road from Ballybrittas to Portlaoise is something I have seen but never visited. Is it any good? Has anyone walked in it?

How long does it take?

There are various walks, long and short, depending on the routes you take. The woods were unfortunately split in two by the motorway but the walks around the lakes on the south side of the motorway are very nice.

How long does it take to do the walk? Are the walks on a set path?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Bobby wrote: »
    How long does it take to do the walk? Are the walks on a set path?

Anything from half an hour to 2 hours. There are numerous paths ands trails. I suppose I just know them from local knowledge and I'm not sure how well signed and marked they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

If you've a car the Slievebloom mountains have loads of lovely walks, just back from there. You do need boots and change of pants if you want to walk the long walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Heywood in ballinakill is another walk
    You can start in the village and head up the path by the swimming pool turning left onto the path by Gills pond

Also there is another walk outside durrow heading for cullahill the woods on the left hand side across from Woodview restaurant

• Advertisement
Advertisement