Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting exterior wall Q

Options
  • 18-02-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am planning to paint the wall surrounding my garden. From the look of it it hasn't been painted in a good few years.

Is there any particular way you have to prepare an exterior wall for painting? Will I need to give it a rub with a stiff bristle brush or will some heavier cleaning be needed? Thanks for the advice.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eire_dd

Personally i would give it a quick power hosing and then wire brush it, Preparation is the key, make sure if possible you use a exterior primer first then one or two coats.

It will be worth it long term

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If any part of wall is flaking then do as was advised, scrap, power hose down. Leave to dry and put a coat of stablising solution on it and then finish with a good exterior paint, I would recommend either Dulux weathershield/Sandtex/Fleetwood exterior emulsion.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

before you paint use an exterior wall sealant, it stops the paint peeling off

Advertisement