Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault 5 Turbo

• 19-02-2009 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Spotted these in a shed in Co. Waterford last May. Pretty cool i thought.

20052008091.jpg

20052008092.jpg

20052008093.jpg

20052008094.jpg

20052008095.jpg

20052008099.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Very cool indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

3 R5 Turbos in a shed in Waterford :eek:

I love those little fat ass monsters. It says a lot that 25 years on, current hot hatches offer no better performance than those R5s did back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

unkel wrote: »
    3 R5 Turbos in a shed in Waterford :eek:

I love those little fat ass monsters. It says a lot that 25 years on, current hot hatches offer no better performance than those R5s did back then
    This is true... I have a 96 bog standard Renault 5 1.4 and it has better performances than my '03 Renault Megane Coupe 1.4 16V (with 98bhp)

We're going backwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Coool!!3in the one shed,great looking cars they are!
    20052008092.jpg
    Wonder was this one sold here new,thats a 74 reg,wonder was it one of the old re-issues back in the 80s?one of them would do me,but three!!:D

Coool!!3in the one shed,great looking cars they are!

Wonder was this one sold here new,thats a 74 reg,wonder was it one of the old re-issues back in the 80s?one of them would do me,but three!!:D

Well, could be! Wouldn't be the first time a reg doesn't match the age of the car. I know of a 1970s Lotus in Dublin that has the reg 1 Z (or was it Z1, i'm confused now)
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

2cv wrote: »
    Well, could be! Wouldn't be the first time a reg doesn't match the age of the car. I know of a 1970s Lotus in Dublin that has the reg 1 Z (or was it Z1, i'm confused now)
    :-)
    Yes..theres many of them about:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Those cars are mentioned in the March edition of Irish Vintage Scene. The yellow one is fully road legal whilst the blue on is an out and out rally car !

Thats literally all it says, along with the owners name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

I was in the same shed a couple of years ago. Apparently the same guys ralled one of these years ago with a Rover V8 in the back.

By the way,,there was a couple of Prancing Horses in the same shed that day.One used to belong to Eddie Irvine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

This is true... I have a 96 bog standard Renault 5 1.4 and it has better performances than my '03 Renault Megane Coupe 1.4 16V (with 98bhp)

We're going backwards...

What is the point of increasing the performance of cars? Don't you think people can drive fast enough?

It's frustrating enough to have to restrain the urge to step on it - It is also frustrating to see people driving pointlessly fast through residential areas without regard to safety.

I really think there are other things car manufacturers should be thinking about than performance - such as pollution, safety

Camarague wrote: »
    What is the point of increasing the performance of cars? Don't you think people can drive fast enough?

It's frustrating enough to have to restrain the urge to step on it - It is also frustrating to see people driving pointlessly fast through residential areas without regard to safety.

I really think there are other things car manufacturers should be thinking about than performance - such as pollution, safety

Performance doesn't necessarily have to mean top speed....

If you want something that's totally lacking in performance, buy a Peugeot 1007
    :D

• Advertisement

Camarague wrote: »

Not everybody that drives a powerful car, drives it like a looney mister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

what part of waterford is that in. Would love to go have a nosy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

A friend of mine had an uncle with a blue one - he used to get dropped to school in it sometimes - needless to say, we were all very impressed. I never got a go in it despite begging.

245 wrote: »
    A friend of mine had an uncle with a blue one
    he should put it away when its cold out :)

seanybiker wrote: »
    what part of waterford is that in. Would love to go have a nosy
    It's close enough to waterford city, just on the other side of the water... Ferrybank?

he should put it away when its cold out :)

I susected that someone was going to say that! :D

It's close enough to waterford city, just on the other side of the water... Ferrybank?
    Ah yeah ferrybank is just across the bridge alright. Hmm must get all detective and see if i can find out who owns it. Would love a pic of me beside one of them. Bloody love them cars.

245 wrote: »
    I susected that someone was going to say that! :D
    sorry bud. I had to lol

Ah yeah ferrybank is just across the bridge alright. Hmm must get all detective and see if i can find out who owns it. Would love a pic of me beside one of them. Bloody love them cars.

Ever heard of photoshop??
    LOL

Ever heard of photoshop??
    LOL
    Yeah but i dont get to have a look at the car properly then
    though. Or offer the owner a loan of me lack just for a go of the car ha ha

• Advertisement

I'd say the owner likes fast cars... he's got a 500 SL as well

I'd say the owner likes fast cars... he's got a 500 SL as well
    Whoosh
    Whats that flying over me head. What does a 500 sl be

Whoosh
    Whats that flying over me head. What does a 500 sl be
    Errr, a Merc???
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fiesta mk1

MercMad wrote: »
    Those cars are mentioned in the March edition of Irish Vintage Scene. The yellow one is fully road legal whilst the blue on is an out and out rally car !

Thats literally all it says, along with the owners name.
    i seen dat feture too!!
    lucky b*****d:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

The Blue one is identical to the car that Jean Ragnotti used to rally throughout the 80's.:cool: Actually if you go into UTUBE and type in his name plus renault 5 you will find him doing some pretty cool stuff in a 5
    JeanRagnotti.jpg

johnf2020 wrote: »
    The Blue one is identical to the car that Jean Ragnotti used to rally throughout the 80's.:cool: Actually if you go into UTUBE and type in his name plus renault 5 you will find him doing some pretty cool stuff in a 5

Have a look at this... Renault 5 enthusiasts prob won't like it very much, but i think it's hilarious (and i love the R5) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocNfH7Qdu1M

There's a picture of both cars in this month's Irish Vintage Scene, page 47.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

I saw these cars at a show in Waterford last year, very impressive up close.

DSC01638.jpg

DSC01639.jpg

Errr, a Merc???
    LOL

im seanybiker not seanycar. I cant know everything boy haha.
    dont mind them mercs, pfft. :D

• Advertisement

im seanybiker not seanycar. I cant know everything boy haha.
    dont mind them mercs, pfft. :D

hahaha
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 magikcivic

thats class when people collect cars like that.a true petrol head.personally i prefer the 205 gti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I see John Price's stickers on them He used to com eover from Wales in the eighties to rally here. He was the authority on R5 Turbo's & bought up a lot of Renault's R5 turbo stock in the UK. Haven't heard of him in a while though. Often did the Circuit of Kerry rally.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I actually have a 1982 edition of Auto Ireland (which I bought way back then ....I think it was actually one of the first car mags I bought?!) with pics and a feature on that Turbo 'ZIP 518' ...complete with the Rover V8 in the boot. The pics show the car parked in the paddock area at Mondello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Neighbour of mine had a 5 Gordini Turbo - black with red pinstriping and a red interior I think. Had fab-looking alloys as well...

Those mid-engined yokes had real character though - I remember something about one holding the world speed record THROUGH a roundabout:confused: I assume that meant stright OVER the roundabout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I remember seeing a road going metallic blue 5 Turbo around West Dublin when I was in school there ('76-'82) could have been a Turbo 2 but deffo the mid-engined version. AFAIR the owner was a young guy 25ish or so. Those were the days, I had a geography teacher who would sometimes drive her husband's Group 1 Dolly sprint rallycar (which was in full works colours) to school!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    I remember seeing a road going metallic blue 5 Turbo around West Dublin when I was in school there ('76-'82) could have been a Turbo 2 but deffo the mid-engined version. AFAIR the owner was a young guy 25ish or so. Those were the days, I had a geography teacher who would sometimes drive her husband's Group 1 Dolly sprint rallycar (which was in full works colours) to school!

The one you remember is probably the one that I mentioned earlier - the owner owned a business in Harold's Cross and it was parked there on a daily basis for a while. He also had a thing for Golf GTIs, among others. It would have been '82 to '83.

Advertisement