Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHEN DOES A GUITARIST BECOME A LEGEND

Options
  • 19-02-2009 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

In response to Zane Lowes TOP 50 GUITAR LEGENDS,at what point in their careers does a guitarist become a legend? Also what credentials does a guitarist have to have to become a legend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rock Dog

For example Kurt Cobain wasnt the most technically proficent guitarist but he inspired more kids to pick up guitars than Prince(who in my own personnal view is technically better than Cobain. So who is the guitar legend here Cobain- cos he inspired OR Prince- cos he s technically better? Have your say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

To qualify you need 15 proofs of purchase from special packs of Tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

To become a legendary guitarist you must slay at least 3 mythical, fire breathing Dragons that live on the shadows of far off,misty mountains.

I think you've got to have your own original sound, even if it's just a slight twist or improvement on other peoples. Obviously you've got to have written some amazing songs, provide a few classic chord progressions and the odd solo.
    When I think of guitar legends I think of Hendrix, Johnny Marr, Slash etc.

Kurt inspired me to pick up guitar though I think it was going to be inevitable but he got me into good music at a young age and for that he is a legend for me. He has a great sound, say what you want about him but his method of playing was unique. Everyone and anyone can sound as boring as Noel Gallagher but not everyone can capture Kurt's sound and style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Rock Dog wrote: »
    For example Kurt Cobain wasnt the most technically proficent guitarist but he inspired more kids to pick up guitars than Prince(who in my own personnal view is technically better than Cobain. So who is the guitar legend here Cobain- cos he inspired OR Prince- cos he s technically better? Have your say
    excellent response. Kurt was my main reason to pick up a guitar. I was into guns and roses as a young chap but listening to slash didnt really inspire me to learn guitar cos he is a legend lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Listen to Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour 74 cd and hear what a guitar legend sounds like.
    I've always had a problem with this Clapton thing, I've heard alot of his stuff and he's nothing special.
    Rory Gallagher, Zoot Horn Rollo, Frank Zappa, John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Robbie Basho, Ry Cooder, Mick Ronson, Dave Gilmour, these are some of the guys I consider great players and legends if you like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

During a lengthy solo, he pulls a pained, frenzied face that is directly proportional to the 'pain of creation'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Face movements\expressions essential
    Also during a high bended note looking up and arching your back, eyes closed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

stovelid wrote: »
    During a lengthy solo, he pulls a pained, frenzied face that is directly proportional to the 'pain of creation'.
    Good old "guitar face". Rumour has it that the wind changed during a Gary Moore solo and now his face is stuck that way.

Another way of attaining guitar legend status is to produce lengthy, conceptualised virtuoso pomp that only appeals to semi-autistic 14 year old boys and chronic masturbators (or the intersection of the two sets). For example a 3 album cycle chronicling the fall of Carthage, which changes time signature 6 times per minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Robbo wrote: »
    For example a 3 album cycle chronicling the fall of Carthage, which changes time signature 6 times per minute.

Where can I get these albums!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

IMO it really just has to be someone who is an all rounder at playing the guitar. Technical and creative. I don't think it can be one or the other. Anyone can be technical without being creative, it just takes pain staking hours of practice. Creativity is a must. But technicality tends to stand out more which is why I think both are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SteamboatMark

U need to survive at least 3 od's, dying on the 4th is ok, but it better be a truck load of drugs

Advertisement