Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get rent supplement after getting redundancy??

Options
  • 19-02-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

hi all...
    about to be made redundant, and it looks like statutury plus maybe(hopefully) 6000. gives me a figure of around 20k i hope. Now, it looks like this will have to last along time judging by current economic climate, and i hope to make it last. My question is, will the fact that i got redundancy mean i wont be able to get rent supplement? any tips on how to get around it? i had a brainwave of signing the cheque over to my mother, is that plausable??

I never signed on in my life, i have worked hard since i was 17....and without any shame, i feel i want to work the system to my full benefit! i make no apologies for that...

Thanks....Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

hi folks..
    no doubt there is alot of posts of this nature, and surely alot more to come. Basically, i am about to be made redundant after almost 10 years in a job. where i live(rent, sharing) is registered, so that side of its no problem. But i will be getting a redundancy cheque of a few grand, and i am wondering will that scupper my chance of rent supplement? i had an idea of just signing the redun chq over to my mother...is that a good idea?

Apologies if i come across as a schemer or a freeloader...but that is my exact intention. After working hard since i was 17, never signing on ever, and about to get a cheque that, by the looks of things out there, may have to last a long time...well, i want to get as much out of the system as possible.

Now i will look for a job as soon as i finish up, but at the same time i dont want my redundancy dwindling away...so, i am trying to look after myself here as best i can..

Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its means tested, they use a magic formula and lots of income is taken into account
    Basic info: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

Magic formula:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/swa_rent.aspx

Think you have to contribute some of it yourself but you must find somewhere within the max rent payable(impossible i hear)

It does not say if redundancy is taken into account, i suspect it is as 'savings' :mad:

Someone else might have more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Your entitlement would probably most depend on the actual cost of your rent.
    There is a long standing issue with the fact that if your rent is above the threshold you will be refused outright, even if the difference is very small and it is clear that you will be unable to pay the rent at all. Unfortunately this is also well below market rents for most of the country, which is effectively why a large proportion of rent subsidized tenants live in slum conditions.

Advertisement