Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MK1 Golf

• 19-02-2009 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I've been toying with the idea of getting myself a Mk 1 Golf for a while now and am going to have a serious look for a good one in the next few months.

Can anyone recommend any good places worth a look? VW clubs etc.
    Does anyone know what they are like to live with? I'll be using it daily for commuting. I'd imagine being a VW it'd be solid enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

http://vagdrivers.net

lovely car but i dont know much about them. the for sale section on that site will let you know what you're in for condition and price wise over here in the rip of republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Had a mark 1 and several years back, a diesel one, great little car. Bought one a few years back (a bit of nostalgia) and didn't really like it as much. As a daily driver, I found lack of power steering heavy also found car to be a bit cramped. Suggest you try one for a while before investing heavily. Still like the look though !:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes the steering certainly IS heavy on all of them, but a GTI is on my wish list too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Brakes are only fair too.Solid car when rustfree.Mk1 two door is one of my favs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

The heavy steering has put me off a bit alright, although it could help me sculpt some guns :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i have an 88 mk1 gti cabriolet and as the lads said the steering is feckin heavy..3 point turns are no fun lol and brakes are spongy so you dont want to get caught out in the late breakin department...but saying that i love mine and its a cool car..an alternative is that you can actually buy a NEW mk1 golf with all the modern technology in it..its the exact same shape as the original..i think some crowd in the north are doing them...check out ebay for them or the mk1 owners club on the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭draycottgirlz

if you can be a bit more specific it will be easier to point you in the right direction

(diesel/gti/petrol,number of doors, budget, any other details?)

check out cosyclassics.ie for 2008 mk1's !!!!!!!!!

check out cosyclassics.ie for 2008 mk1's !!!!!!!!!
    http://www.cosyclassics.ie/mk1golf.html

The interiors look like this!!:eek::eek::eek:
    interior__dash.jpg
    Now thats mental,and in the old body shape too!!

• Advertisement

THINK IT COULD TAKE OFF????????????

Im converted!Arnt they quite expensive though?It would be cool to arrive at a show with one of those and surprise people..

Thats mad! :rolleyes:

i think i heard they were mid twenties but not sure...would get a lot of people scratching their heads lookn at the reg lol

dsc03550.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

These brand new Mk1 Golfs can be bought brand new in South Africa and they start at R 78,200.00 for the basic 1.4 model (which is €6,102.00). They're called the VW Citi over there.

www.vw.co.za

Are they a proper VW conversion? because they look spot on for new VW's

They're not conversions... They're actually built by VW in South Africa....

I wonder what sort of reaction you'd get walking into your local VW dealer looking for a Citi?
    Any idea how much cosycampers are selling them for?

dceire wrote: »
    I wonder what sort of reaction you'd get walking into your local VW dealer looking for a Citi?
    Any idea how much cosycampers are selling them for?

They don't even know what it is :-) I've tried...
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Just be aware that the are not exactly the same as the original. The front wings are a different shape, more like the Mk2 and the rear 1/4 panel is different too, not as flat as the original.

I have seen them in the flesh and they look more like a Mk2 than Mk1 unless viewed from the rear.

AFAIK they are all 4 door now too, but somone could check up on that.

Might make a decent base car to start with though.

Anyone know how they drive?

was just thinking that ^^^

cosy classics lookin for 24500 euro's for them

Thats strong money....

Thats strong money....

VERY strong money, considering they're only 6k new :-)

rip off ireland, will we ever learn??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 magikcivic

dceire wrote: »
    I've been toying with the idea of getting myself a Mk 1 Golf for a while now and am going to have a serious look for a good one in the next few months.

Can anyone recommend any good places worth a look? VW clubs etc.
    Does anyone know what they are like to live with? I'll be using it daily for commuting. I'd imagine being a VW it'd be solid enough?

dude you might already know this but in cork there is a mark1 2009 and there is another in dublin.2 in the country with 2009 plates.when i first saw it i thought i was seeing things.nope turns out they still make them in south africa but over there they dont call em mark1 golf its called the VW city.check it out for yourself.there is dealership in dublin who imports them from south africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/MK1-SPOR/200908191861037/advert

Demo models going half price lads:D

It's actually not that unreasonable at €10k

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/MK1-SPOR/200908191861037/advert

Demo models going half price lads:D

It's actually not that unreasonable at €10k
    Thats actually not bad!looks weird with the 09 plate on!

yeah alot more interesting at 10 grand i have to say

At that price, it's a very interesting car :-)

I do see one problem though... You'd be pulled by every gard in the country cos none of them would believe it's actually a 09 car! Especially around here...

dont like the rear lights i have to say..wonder could they be replaced with originals...probably not though worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

That's odd, when I rang them yesterday they told me they weren't selling them any more. VW Ireland put a stop to them.
    The 1.4s are pretty much 1983 spec, no PAS etc.

• Advertisement

wow vw ireland are stopping them selling them???????????can they do that? if so could they stop any second hand car company selling vw...seems strange alright

Advertisement