Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My little van

• 19-02-2009 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

This is my little 2CV Van, believed to be the only one remaining of three delivered to the Gardai. It's a 1976, original RHD. I've been told that these were not made in RHD, except on special order.

05052008082.jpg

05052008083.jpg

05052008084.jpg

05052008085.jpg

05052008086.jpg

05052008087.jpg

05052008088.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Nice!Good that it has irish history too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

70's Paddy wagon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

back when they werent designed to hold zoo animals

not my cup of tea but good see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

love it. what a great little classic :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

homer90 wrote: »
    70's Paddy wagon :D

70s doggy wagon more like it :-)

• Advertisement

1275gt wrote: »
    love it. what a great little classic :cool:

Quite unique too.... There are a few LHD ones in the country, but this is (if my sources are correct), the only RHD one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

I thinks its cool, what colour was it originally ?

Looks in great condition, but paint the front bumper soon please ! :p

MercMad wrote: »
    I thinks its cool, what colour was it originally ?

Looks in great condition, but paint the front bumper soon please ! :p

Originally it appears to have been a sort of greyey kinda beigey colour (vague i know).

Oh and don't worry about the front bumper, i've a brand new one for it in the house, just haven't had a chance to fit it yet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Love it ...its just so cute....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

2cv wrote: »
    Quite unique too.... There are a few LHD ones in the country, but this is (if my sources are correct), the only RHD one.
    I learned to drive as a child in a 1978 one, supplied new in Dublin. It was originally a duck-egg blue, but was almost immediately repainted green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Always had a thing for these babies. Cool van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

Don't think it would survive nowadays in that line of work.
    Especially with those convenient carry handles on the back:P
    I remember winding an old Dyane up a hill with the crank handle like in the film "A town called Alice" Only problem was it didn't start on the way down, so it was out with the plugs again and more winding.......Stripped and cleaned the carb after that and guess what........... it started:confused:

I remember buying 427 KI, a Dyane, in Waterford a few years back. I guess she didn't like me very much because she just refused to go. She even went as far as jamming the key in the ignition :D

We then decided to tow her back to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Great little van, can't say I've seen any before.

It's hardly auto is it? Or is the third peddle hidden? Lol

Great little van, can't say I've seen any before.

It's hardly auto is it? Or is the third peddle hidden? Lol
    No no, it's a 4 speed manual... These things were never made in automatic :D although at one stage they had something called a Trafficlutch, which was the predecessor to the semi automatic gearboxes :D (with a bit of imagination of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

2cv wrote: »
    No no, it's a 4 speed manual... These things were never made in automatic :D although at one stage they had something called a Trafficlutch, which was the predecessor to the semi automatic gearboxes :D (with a bit of imagination of course)

Lol, fair enough. I thought as much it was a manual by looking at the gear stick, but when I couldn't see a third pedal, I said I might as well ask:P

Funny, our 1978 one had a hole in the centre of the front bumper for the supplied starting handle, but the one in the pic doesn't. Is that the original front bumper?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Funny, our 1978 one had a hole in the centre of the front bumper for the supplied starting handle, but the one in the pic doesn't. Is that the original front bumper?

As far as i'm aware, none of the 2CVs had a hole in the bumper. The hole for the starting handle is in the middle of the grille. Can you dig out a picture of this car?

I'll try, but it was a long time ago! I'm pretty sure the hole was in the bumper, it was a circular hole with cut-outs on either side to clear the spines on the starter handle.

Mmmm, never seen one of them before.. And i've seen a LOT of 2CVs in my life. Been driving them for 15 years now :-)

If you think about it, the hole can NEVER be in the bumper... The hole fits right in the middle of the fan, which is way higher up than the bumper, no matter what year or engine...

I think you might be mistaking for the Dyane.. The bumper was a lot higher up in that one, but still no hole in the bumper.
    http://www.ritzsite.demon.nl/Citroen68/Pics/dyane6c_front.jpg

• Advertisement

It was definitely a 2cv van, of that much i'm sure. It was supplied new by Citroen Ireland in 1978, and was RHD. As to the location of the starter handle hole, I can't swear anything, I was only 12! I did use it a couple of times though, and it worked.

a RHD 2CV Van? Mmmmm, did your parents buy it new? I was told there were only 3 sold here new, and all three went to the Gards (mine being one of them)...

My father worked for RTE at the time and arranged to 'borrow' a new one for a TV series. He had the car repainted green, and it spent six weeks travelling around Europe for the series. Afterwards, he bought it from Citroen for (as I recall) £800 - I think the new price at the time was £2000. We kept it for a while and then sold it on.

I think that series may have been "The Green Linnet". It had two "well known" irish musicians (can't for the life of think who) driving around Europe tracing similar music to Irish, and busking at any opportunity.

That's the one. When the car came back, the shelf under the dash was creaking with coins.;)

And one of those stripey elastic belts with the "S" shaped buckle would have been under severe pressure with your pockets full of treasure:D

Couldn't get the treasure into my pockets, the drop-down side windows had already removed most of my fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Anan1 wrote: »
    Couldn't get the treasure into my pockets, the drop-down side windows had already removed most of my fingers.
    :p:p:p

Advertisement