Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Government Collapse Imminent???

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

As it says on the tin, are we looking at the government falling imminently or is this all just pie in the sky???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Its definately looking likely but i dont know if it will do any good. Kenny will get in and pass a law against anyone ever enjoying themselves again. Horse hair shirts and knitted underwear will become compulsory and anyone not joining the pioneers will be forced to go to michael english concerts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

For the Government to fall, two things need to happen:
    1. The Greens need to withdraw (possible) or a number of FF people need to resign (very improbable);
    2. The opposition need to put down and win a no-confidence motion.

I don't think the opposition are ready for that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

As it says on the tin, are we looking at the government falling imminently

Hopefully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Well TBH if they dont fail I personally will be picketing dublin airport. Like the Thai people.. I'll need a bit of help... any takers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its looking likely that the scandals to come will kill them stone dead by july at the latest , and most likely by may .

thank - fcuking - god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

It could be closer than most think. When the crap finally hits the fan over the mess in the banking sector, if anything sticks to Fianna Fail then the greens will have no option but to pull out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

How many threads have you started today on this topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

DaDumTish wrote: »
    its looking likely that the scandals to come will kill them stone dead by july at the latest , and most likely by may .

thank - fcuking - god

I doubt this government will see the next two weeks. I would have set up a poll on this but I don't know where the tick box for setting up a poll has gone to.... :rolleyes:

There will be major protests in town this Saturday that I'll be going to, and we have the Anglo report being issued on Friday. Between the report being released on Friday and God only knows what else will emerge between now and then, I think we'll be seeing hundreds of thousands of extremely irate people on the streets of Dublin City this Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Fianna Fail have been a corrupt party for more years than I care to remember. The chickens are coming home to roost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I doubt this government will see the next two weeks. I would have set up a poll on this but I don't know where the tick box for setting up a poll has gone to.... :rolleyes:

There will be major protests in town this Saturday that I'll be going to, and we have the Anglo report being issued on Friday. Between the report being released on Friday and God only knows what else will emerge between now and then, I think we'll be seeing hundreds of thousands of extremely irate people on the streets of Dublin City this Saturday...

Hopefully we'll see this happening. They are a shower of fúcking crooks and should be run out of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It won't collapse
    And not a thing will happen until the local elections and whenever Lisbon II is.

I do see Cowan going and Michael (can't type fadas :confused:) Martin will be taking over. A few people have said it, I think it's worth a punt that he'll be Taoiseach before the end of 2009

/strolls over to Paddy Power.com checking odds

mikemac wrote: »
    It won't collapse
    And not a thing will happen until the local elections and whenever Lisbon II is.

I do see Cowan going and Michael (can't type fadas :confused:) Martin will be taking over. A few people have said it, I think it's worth a punt that he'll be Taoiseach before the end of 2009

Welcome to the discussion.

Your finger>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Pulse<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You can't even spell Cowen ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It won't collapse

michael martin??? sweet jesus save us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I do see Cowan going and Michael (can't type fadas :confused:)

CTRL + ALT + a = á
    CTRL + ALT + e = é
    ;-)

Too disconsolate to make a comment on the government. This Anglo thing could ruin the country on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Welcome to the discussion.

Your finger>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Pulse<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You can't even spell Cowen ffs...

Darragh29 just because you start a thread doesn't mean you own it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hey, my opinion, could be right, could be wrong. I'll check in two weeks and see if your prediction was true.

I answered your question while some others ranted about FF.
    Were you looking for opinions or were you looking for one line posts with rants?
    Was the title of your thread, post what you hate about FF? If so I'd have posted something different

Oops, a spelling mistake in the early hours of the morning , truely sorry Darragh :rolleyes:

nesf wrote: »
    Darragh29 just because you start a thread doesn't mean you own it.

I take your point. I'm so angry about this, I don't know how there are any people out there with a vague acceptance of what is going on here....
    Hey, my opinion, could be right, could be wrong. I'll check in two weeks and see if your prediction was true.

I answered your question while some others ranted about FF.
    Were you looking for opinions or were you looking for one line posts with rants?
    Was the title of your thread, post what you hate about FF? If so I'd have posted something different

Oops, a spelling mistake in the early hours of the morning , truely sorry Darragh :rolleyes:

Deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

well dan boyle said that the greens want to know who the golden ten are and it must be made public asap, so in a way thats a kinda ultimatum to cowen.
    Either way this weekend is gonna be very interesting with the anglo report due on friday and the congress protest on saturday!

I take your point. I'm so angry about this, I don't know how there are any people out there with a vague acceptance of what is going on here....

People will disagree with you, it's the nature of politics. Try to remain civil at all times on here please.

skelliser wrote: »
    well dan boyle said that the greens want to know who the golden ten are and it must be made public asap, so in a way thats a kinda ultimatum to cowen.
    Either way this weekend is gonna be very interesting with the anglo report due on friday and the congress protest on saturday!

Did he? All I heard him say was that if it came to light that a Minister was one of the ten that the Green Party would have to seriously reconsider staying in Government.

• Advertisement

Did he? All I heard him say was that if it came to light that a Minister was one of the ten that the Green Party would have to seriously reconsider staying in Government.

According to Cowen, a minister isn't involved. But he hasn't denied that a FF TD is involved which is telling.

i think he said something to that effect or at least insinuated on morning ireland yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

It won't collapse

Micheal Martin has been keeping his head down throughout the crisis. As has Dermot Ahern. This hasn't happened by accident. You could be right.

According to Cowen, a minister isn't involved. But he hasn't denied that a FF TD is involved which is telling.

hmm..... in galway there is a ff TD who has well documented massive list of property both here and in other countries!
    But im sure that the same could be said of other ff TD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Fianna Fail are under extreme pressure to manage the finances of the country and rumour within influential circles of banking and politics is that they are now considering Nationalising peoples private savings and replacing them with Government Bonds (gilds) which would amount to National Robbery of every man, woman and child, this represents the dying actions of a regime that was the most corrupt ever. What happened in Anglo Irish Bank is nothing when compared to the other wrong doings yet to surface.

I have no pity for the Public servents as each and every one of them are FF voters who have now jumped ship. Ireland is at a cross roads politically and I for one hope that Fianna Fail are well and truly buried forever and what they have done to the country.

mumhaabu wrote: »
    rumour within influential circles of banking and politics is that they are now considering Nationalising peoples private savings and replacing them with Government Bonds (gilds) which would amount to National Robbery of every man, woman and child, this represents the dying actions of a regime that was the most corrupt ever.

Source?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Reuters wrote:
    Pressure mounted on Ireland's prime minister on Wednesday as his coalition partners warned their support was not automatic against a backdrop of banking scandals and the European Union began disciplinary budget steps.
    The Green Party's support, crucial to Brian Cowen's parliamentary majority, was in the spotlight as banking sector controversies and a deepening recession send popular support for Cowen and his Fianna Fail party to record lows.

"We are committed to remaining in government but that is not an open-ended commitment," Green Party Chairman Dan Boyle told Reuters in an interview.
    He said the Greens would review support for Cowen if any politicians were directly linked to the scandals.

Link

This could get very very interesting very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

If the government does collapse, and a general election is called, I hope every last bit of dirt comes out, so that when people do vote that have all the information about what exactly went on. If this happens, I'd expect FF to go by the wayside

skelliser wrote: »
    hmm..... in galway there is a ff TD who has well documented massive list of property both here and in other countries!
    But im sure that the same could be said of other ff TD's.

As does Ivor Callely, along with Noel O' Flynn, who has substantial property & business interests in the motor industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

fúcking crooks the whole lot of them. Fianna Fail will hopefully never again be in Government after this.

Advertisement