Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Government Collapse Imminent???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

This is an 087 government, READY TO GO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

For the Government to fall, two things need to happen:
    1. The Greens need to withdraw (possible) or a number of FF people need to resign (very improbable);
    2. The opposition need to put down and win a no-confidence motion.

I don't think the opposition are ready for that yet.

I think this is very accurate, at the moment.
    It could of course change very rapidly.

This forum is full of conscientious political followers and debaters.
    The public are a very different animal.

They're more interested in the Ireland V England rugby game and are quite happy to stroll down to the pub and drown their sorrows.
    Be it apathy or lack of intelligence, possibly both, the general public really don't care and accept anything and everything you throw at them UNTIL you hit them in the pocket......thats when people come out of their hazy trance and get vocal.

Like a bunch of monkeys really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Duiske wrote: »
    then the greens will have no option but to pull out.

Greens... no option... greens... no option... greens... does not compute... does not compute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The next Government won't be as good pals to the Developers or Bankers imo. The Loby groups of the past 15 years that have been running this government will have to start from scratch which can only be a good thing, as to whether Enda Kenny would be able for the office of Taoiseach????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Villain wrote: »
    The next Government won't be as good pals to the Developers or Bankers imo. The Loby groups of the past 15 years that have been running this government will have to start from scratch which can only be a good thing, as to whether Enda Kenny would be able for the office of Taoiseach????

How could he be worse than Brian Cowen or Bertie who have the turned the country into a complete mess and disgraced us internationally.

I'm not saying he will be worse, I just don't know how good he will be, imo Richard Bruton would be far far better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I wish for FF out of power soon
    I wish a miracle happens and we find a decent new government

Ah, since I am being so optimistic, I wish we get a really good summer so we can go to the beach while this mess continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Zynks wrote: »
    I wish for FF out of power soon
    I wish a miracle happens and we find a decent new government

Ah, since I am being so optimistic, I wish we get a really good summer so we can go to the beach while this mess continues.

What's the point. The other parties don't have any answers. I'd bet they are praying that the government don't fold otherwise they are will have to make all the awful decisions coming up. If they can hold out until things improve them they can capitalize on the FF mess for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Yes and no.... you seem to assume FF has what it takes to get us out of this mess. I am not that confident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I hope to god FF and the Greens are pulled down soon. (I'll never vote FF again, I did last time I gave Beverly Flynn my 16th preference).
    FG and Labour would be a good combination. With a bit of luck there will be no FF or Green or PD ghosts around in the Dail to spoil things.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Fianna Fail are under extreme pressure to manage the finances of the country and rumour within influential circles of banking and politics is that they are now considering Nationalising peoples private savings and replacing them with Government Bonds (gilds) which would amount to National Robbery of every man, woman and child, this represents the dying actions of a regime that was the most corrupt ever. What happened in Anglo Irish Bank is nothing when compared to the other wrong doings yet to surface.
    Of all the speculation around Government action and inaction surrounding this crisis, this could be the most worrying.

If even a hint of this was released by Government or through any sort of reliable source it would immediately trigger a run on the banks. The Government guarantee would be called in, and the nation would be bankrupted. Game over.

For this reason, I doubt this is true. Every sensible commentator would scream blue murder at the very suggestion of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

swiss wrote: »
    Of all the speculation around Government action and inaction surrounding this crisis, this could be the most worrying.

If even a hint of this was released by Government or through any sort of reliable source it would immediately trigger a run on the banks. The Government guarantee would be called in, and the nation would be bankrupted. Game over.

For this reason, I doubt this is true. Every sensible commentator would scream blue murder at the very suggestion of this.

I have heard this from people who generally are not wrong and it has me worried. It happened in alot of ex-soviet states around 1990 when they broke away and people only got their money back in 2004 in Latvia and Lithuania I think. There will be a run on the banks very soon and Ireland inc. as we know it is Bankrupt already and has been morally bankrupt since FF got in repeatedly in 2002 and 2007. I know one person who has his entire savings in Gold ingots (an ounce or two) either that or cold hard cash. When the bank run happens those with cash will be lucky as at least we have Euro's which are a hard currency and people will be able to relocate to other parts of the EU with their savings if neccesary.

I personally hope that FF are ousted because this measure is being talked about with the inner circles and will be deployed against the people in a fight to the finish with FF/Developers V everyone else. The nation will be milked for every last cent before this is all over wait and see.

I bash FF yes but this is not the FF that DeValera and Jack Lynch had this resembles something more like Putin in Russia and the oligarcs being the developers. Plus the dole is going to be slashed soon with the excuse that stuff is now cheaper.

The clouds are gathering. I await the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I have never voted for Fianna Fail in my life (I am VERY proud of this). I voted for the Green Party in the last election because I thought they actually had some morals - obviously proved wrong, I never thought they'd prostitute themselves by getting into bed with Fianna Fail.

The only party I'd vote for now is the Labour Party - I can only hope that they can see us though. Eamon Gilmore is a very credible leader, far more credible than Enda Kenny who'd have us back in 1950's Ireland if he had his way (I cannot abide that man, he is such a joke).

I worry about this country, I worry a lot... we have been shafted left, right and centre and we, the regular workers of this country (whether we are public or private sector workers [and I'm SO sick of that arguement]) are left to cope with the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

donegalfella preaching anarchy ...I thought I'd never see the day :D

On topic:

The best we can hope for is an immediate collapse of the current governement (by whatever legal means) and the immediate formation of a new one (maybe the famous national governement?) that will have clear majority support and the guts to upend the bin now, get all the rubbish out and clean it up as swiftly as is humanly possible. Reform of everything is needed, staring from the top. Once led by example, I'm quietly hopeful that everyone will follow.

Worst case scenario is that current shower hang on for another year or so, the scandals keep dripping out, halfhearted, devisive measures may or may not be implemented while some part of the population is out on strike preventing the other half from doing their job, thus bringing the country completely to its knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

coudn't disagree more. Greed in the private sector/banks and lack of government interference in house price bubble is to blame for the current fiscal problems. The government need to take more action not less.

As to the drama queens talking about a run on the banks - get a grip, things are not that bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

Paddy Power seems to think the collapse of the Government will happen this year. The odds currently being given on a general election in 2009 are 1-2

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&disp_cat_id=56&ev_class_id=33&ev_type_id=694&ev_oc_grp_ids=88128&bir_index=

I've never voted FF but I would be tempted to vote for them if this happened.

There is something not quite right about letting them walk away from the mess they are responsible for.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

I still have the shrill pitch of "better the divil you know than the divil you don't" ringing in my ears from the last general election. Maybe this sh*t storm will help focus the short term memories of those who continually vote for their back pocket.

Gilmore and Labour FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

r0nanf wrote: »
    I still have the shrill pitch of "better the divil you know than the divil you don't" ringing in my ears from the last general election. Maybe this sh*t storm will help focus the short term memories of those who continually vote for their back pocket.

Gilmore and Labour FTW

+1
    I was listening to Joan Burton tonight and i firmly believe Labour can solve this mess. Granted we might have to go into coalition with Fine Gael, but I believe the country could not go wrong with Burton, or indeed, Richard Bruton in charge of this country's finances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

+1
    I was listening to Joan Burton tonight and i firmly believe Labour can solve this mess.

Slightly off topic, but a day doesn't seem to go by without hearing Joan Burton expressing an opinion on something.

The government seem too calm to me to indicate that a collapse is imminent. By that I mean I don't see panic in their manner/demeanor. They seem to be controlling what goes to the media, maybe too much with the vagueness of their language.

That's my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Joan Burton wrecks my head

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

What are the chances of forming an all-party coalition. Get everyone working together to sort out our problems. I would definitely be in support of this. Between the lot of them, I'm sure they have the skills and knowledge to sort out this mess.

Every time I turn on the news all I see is Enda Kenny undermining every single FF decision. All of the opposition parties are just undermining public confidence in FF while not really putting forward any viable solutions of their own.

I like Joan Burton.She has a good heart and seems to be the most genuine politician in there head screwed on at the moment.

A lot of the rest of them are all over the place either anxious to ride a populist angsty bandwagon with no idea as to where it's going..[to disaster if you ask me] or they are in power humming and hawing making an absolute bags of things like they are going round with no heads on at all.

I mean for Gods sake,what sort of eejits[FF apparently or mores the point the trioka of Cowan/Lenihan and yer wan from Donegal....clueless] designed a public service pensions levy like this one.It shouldnt have been applied to Gardaí or Nurses for a start or anyone under 40k.Those should have had what the rest of us pay applied to them with the caveat that numbers and job descriptions would be reviewed possibly resulting in redundancies.

The government has to provide affordable services-yes it does but affordable means the country can pay for them and clearly we can't unless theres reform.

We had lots of elections in the 80's..bet we'll be back to that if people don't cop on and elect convincingly a crowd with a mandate to make tough decisions.
    It's time to get real.

My laptop battery is getting low-probably just aswell-Sigh :/

Also, on a related note, how does an all-party coalition come about. Do the party leaders just have to get together and agree to join forces? Is this coalition then put to a public vote or how does it work?

In fairness, no government is ever going to have public backing with opposition parties questioning every decision they make. Say FF does go and FG comes into power with labour, we will probably be back in the same situation in a few months. Tis true that the government have to make difficult decisions with our economic crisis but without support from other parties, they will find it difficult to get majority backing from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Joan Burton wrecks my head

Your poor head!

She has a better understanding of our current problems than most other politicians. But, like all of our politicians (and most, perhaps all, of the rest of us) she doesn't know the solution.

She is unfortunate in having a voice that is not easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

friendface wrote: »
    What are the chances of forming an all-party coalition. Get everyone working together to sort out our problems. I would definitely be in support of this. Between the lot of them, I'm sure they have the skills and knowledge to sort out this mess.

Every time I turn on the news all I see is Enda Kenny undermining every single FF decision. All of the opposition parties are just undermining public confidence in FF while not really putting forward any viable solutions of their own.

no way. I think fianna fail need to be gotten rid of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

If I was to be cynical I would say that:

1. Fine Gael should be having a field day with all the ammunition they have against Fianna Fail but they aren't pressing home the attack - why? - because if they cause the Government to collapse they would have to form the next government and they don't want that - who would.

2. Eamon Gilmore is very vocal, but he knows he'll never be Taoiseach so he can shout all he likes, he'll never be tested himself.

3. If Fine Gael were serious they would ditch Kenny, an obvious liability. New leader Bruton would do a deal with Gilmore and they would force an election - not a very difficult thing to do and they would romp home - but they aren't doing it, why? Because they are scared s*****ss of being in power! Its actually Fine Gael that are propping up the Government, not the Greens

no way. I think fianna fail need to be gotten rid of

While i'm sure there is definitely corruption among the ranks of fianna fail, I don't think the entire party deserves to be blackened. I'm sure the majority of ministers have quality and experience and getting rid of the entire lot would be detrimental to the recovery process.

I also think the current party system is a bit of a shambles. I don't know a lot about individual FF party members history but I do believe many of the ministers simply aren't experienced in their current appointed positions. I don't get the whole 'cabinet reshuffle'.

Why would FG and LAB want to come into Government now to clean up a mess created by FF over 15 years and make all the tough decisions that would see FF looking good within months??

Unless they have enough dirt on FF to slowly drip feed out over the next 3 years.

PS Where is Harney, she is awful quite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Villain wrote: »
    PS Where is Harney, she is awful quite?

Weightwatchers

Advertisement