Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coping with blood sugar dips

• 19-02-2009 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

I've been gradually reducing carbs in my diet for the last six months, focusing on lots of fresh veg and fruit, oats, beans, pulses, eggs, dairy and fish. I don't eat meat. I'm on medication for insulin resistance, so find my blood sugar dips during the day, and I automatically crave sugary things, so need snacks that really fill me, not just an apple.

Would having an egg as a snack be okay? Or nuts? Worried about the fat content. Would two small bowls of porridge be too much porridge a day? Just not sure what to do that's healthy with oats besides porridge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Please go back to your consultant and get him to refer you to a dietician about this, you need professional help with this, especially as you are on medication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Talk to your doctor. Normally an apple would be fine to correct blood sugar dips,but medication can interfere with this.

In general, an egg or a bowl of porridge is a great snack. Fat is not automatically bad. Ok, transfats are evil and should be avoided, but you got those in processed and deepfried food, not in eggs.

Advertisement