Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

moving cooker switch

• 19-02-2009 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

I'm investigating whether its possible to reverse the kitchen from its current L shape to the opposite side of the room where there is more space and would have to move cooker switch to the opposite side too, I haven't a clue about electrical stuff so I don't know if it can be done or how. any ideas, does it need a new feed or just an extension and how much is it going to cost etc ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

the cable used for the cooker is i think usually rated at 32 amps. i think it best that you have a complete cable from the board to the cooker switch. extending a cable like this could prove to be troublesome especially if the joint is hidden after its done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

thanks for the quick reply ND, just curious the mains board is literally directly behind the wall to where the cooker is now, seems like it was just convenient to drop it down on the inside and feed the cooker from that point. Would a new feed be run along the wall to the opposite side or could it maybe be run from the celing and down? (I live in a bungalow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

into the attic from the fusebox and down to the new cooker switch if it's a bungalow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

I would reccomend putting in a new cable from the board up through the ceiling if possible and drop down the wall. Wouldnt be inclined to join and extend however this is fine once proper connectors and a tight connection is used. Alot safer to rewire. Coil of 6sq cable is about 60euro. 50meters. Depends on your run how much u need tho if you dont need ta buy a coil. Cooker switch and back box should be bout 7-9 euro basic. Say in total for connecting to fuseboard supplying cable and connecting cooker should cost around €120-160 in total supply and labour.

great stuff thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

the fact your in a bungelow should make it handy. to save time and money i would suggest you measure the cable run and add on a few metres and run in the cable yourself, leave the buying of the 45amp switch to the electrician as i find a lot of sparks stick to certain brands. hopefully if you do the hard part yourself only leaving the electrician to make off the connections it might save you a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

the fact your in a bungelow should make it handy. to save time and money i would suggest you measure the cable run and add on a few metres and run in the cable yourself, leave the buying of the 45amp switch to the electrician as i find a lot of sparks stick to certain brands. hopefully if you do the hard part yourself only leaving the electrician to make off the connections it might save you a few quid.

Agreed. Best way to save money and be safe is to do the cable pulling in and box burying (if solid wall, good and deep) and leave the terminating and board work to an electrician. Cookers draw very large loads and mistakes can be costly. Be careful.

I have a sparky arriving Monday as the box needs to be moved a few inches anyway, I just wanted to know if it wasn't to big a suggestion to make so I'll ask him and see what he thinks when he arrives. Uncle said he would cut a channel in the wall if needs be and hopefully that should take the hard graft element out of it. thanks again all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

The poor chap hell run if ya ask him to do that. Ah no depends on the cables if theyre too short to move and there is no slack available it is an absolute nightmare to do. You would have to join all the cables and this wouldnt be a good move. Also is very time consuming older cabling is a nightmare to strip. Mostly in old houses earth cables are unsleeved and he would have to do so. Maybe your bungalow isnt old I dunno. What box you refering to fuse board or meter box????

The poor chap hell run if ya ask him to do that. Ah no depends on the cables if theyre too short to move and there is no slack available it is an absolute nightmare to do. You would have to join all the cables and this wouldnt be a good move. Also is very time consuming older cabling is a nightmare to strip. Mostly in old houses earth cables are unsleeved and he would have to do so. Maybe your bungalow isnt old I dunno. What box you refering to fuse board or meter box????

ye, have a feeling he will heh. I was hoping he could run a new cable from the fuse box. the box i was talking about is the cooker switch itself, its 30 years old and is knackered and needs to be replaced anyway and its also directly above the cooker so it gets soaked with steam when the cooker is on which makes it dangerous so it has to be moved to be brought up to code. The house is local authority so they have to provide the labour and materials cost. At the moment there are only 3 sockets in the kitchen and they are overlapping for all purposes (fridge washing machine, toaster kettle, sandwich maker microwave) so new sockets are needed too, I've already melted two kettles and a toaster and really don't want anymore encounters with things blowing up. I'll ask him nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you should try and get the sockets sorted at the same time,a couple of 2.5t&e's from box will be all that's needed at most. as well as the 6sq for the cooker .consult with the sparkie about correct placement and loading etc.

Advertisement