Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typo3 or Joomla?

Options
  • 19-02-2009 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Right so I've decided to go with a CMS and from research, I have narrowed it down to Typo3 and Joomla. I've more or less chosen Typo3 but then I thought I should ask you guys because you might know better than me.

I am aware (from research) that Typo3 is much harder than Joomla, but this isn't really an issue for me, if it does more, and does what I want.

As a member of what's becoming the biggest club in Ireland (I'm on the dole), I have the time to devote myself to learning these. The website is for my own project, so there's no deadline on it.

So the website I want to make will need to have
    - user logins
    - user pages with own info
    - support PMs
    - forums
    - a database (have only used SQL Server before, which I like - this, I understand is supported by Typo3 and not Joomla (which supports MySQL) - although maybe I should just get over MSSQL and learn MySQL?)
    I guess it could be seen as a very basic social network. I don't expect it to scale massively.

My question is, am I mad to devote myself to Typo3 when I can do all this with Joomla? Or are the added features with Joomla (including security) enough for this?

Thanks for any advice or directions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

In case anyone else comes along and is also interested: I found this article, which I found very informative and indicates that Typo3 is not the right choice for community-based projects.

I am now thinking about Joomla again and iSocial. I will let you know what I finally pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

loloray wrote: »
    maybe I should just get over MSSQL and learn MySQL?

I would recommend doing this regardless, as a) I believe the free version of MySQL would scale better than the free version of SQL Server and b) MySQL is used all over the place, so it would be worth learning more about. If you know one 'flavour' of SQL, you've a leg up on the others too.

I'm not used to hearing a 'Joomla vs Typo3' argument, usually I hear 'Joomla vs Drupal' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

FruitLover wrote: »
    I would recommend doing this regardless, as a) I believe the free version of MySQL would scale better than the free version of SQL Server and b) MySQL is used all over the place, so it would be worth learning more about. If you know one 'flavour' of SQL, you've a leg up on the others too.
    Yeah I thought I'd be told to do that. I think deep down I already like it - for some reason I just haven't. :P I do have the full version of SQL Server though.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    I'm not used to hearing a 'Joomla vs Typo3' argument, usually I hear 'Joomla vs Drupal' :p
    Yes you're right. Out of my research, I reckon that Joomla already wins over Drumla anyway, so the point of the post is to compare like with not-like as opposed to like with like, y'know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The support forum on Joomla is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

loloray wrote: »
    Right so I've decided to go with a CMS and from research, I have narrowed it down to Typo3 and Joomla. I've more or less chosen Typo3 but then I thought I should ask you guys because you might know better than me.

I am aware (from research) that Typo3 is much harder than Joomla, but this isn't really an issue for me, if it does more, and does what I want.

As a member of what's becoming the biggest club in Ireland (I'm on the dole), I have the time to devote myself to learning these. The website is for my own project, so there's no deadline on it.

So the website I want to make will need to have
    - user logins
    - user pages with own info
    - support PMs
    - forums
    - a database (have only used SQL Server before, which I like - this, I understand is supported by Typo3 and not Joomla (which supports MySQL) - although maybe I should just get over MSSQL and learn MySQL?)
    I guess it could be seen as a very basic social network. I don't expect it to scale massively.

My question is, am I mad to devote myself to Typo3 when I can do all this with Joomla? Or are the added features with Joomla (including security) enough for this?

Thanks for any advice or directions!

Joomla - get communitybuilder and simple machines forum think they interact also
    Joomla is very good and as said good backup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 novena

Joomla 1.5.x is very powerful and nicely constructed under the hood. I've used it on a range of sites and its coped really well.

It has an extendable architecture with many hundreds of third party components. For community sites, I use Community Builder with my own set of custom plugins for building social networks and phpBB for forums. Rokbridge for bridging forum into Joomla and forumfinder from connectage.com to include forum posts in the main site search

so - big thumbs up for Joomla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hayesphilip

Hi,

We've been working with typo3 at Deewhy
    Consultants now for a few years. I find it an excellent CMS, but
    involved a very steep learning curve.

There isn't the same array of off the shelf templates as for other CMSs
    such as Joomla, but it's a lot easier to create your own templates.

I'd be happy to talk to anyone having problems with typo3. You can find my details at www.deewhy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

www.jomsocial.com/ - social networking for Joomla.
    www.kunena.com/ - Joomla native forum (No bridge required - also interacts with Jomsocial)

There are several really good extensions for both (twitter/facebook interaction etc.)

You can develop a site with these quiet easy without any MySQL knowledge.

Advertisement