Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Materials Required!

Options
  • 19-02-2009 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to source (cheaply) the following items;

Hardcore (for under a concrete slab)

Treated Timber Sleepers.

Paving Slabs.

I know the usual places, but does anyone know anywhere I might get them a bit cheaper, like from some dude out the back of beyond who has a quarry & a forrest in his back garden?

I've priced some of the items in the likes of Brooks & Homebase, but there's gotta be somewhere not charging 2008 prices!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Treated Timber Sleepers.

Paving Slabs.

I know the usual places, but does anyone know anywhere I might get them a bit cheaper, like from some dude out the back of beyond who has a quarry & a forrest in his back garden?

I've priced some of the items in the likes of Brooks & Homebase, but there's gotta be somewhere not charging 2008 prices!

Oh, if only it was as simple as that.

I think your best bet might be to go '2nd hand' ....I think there's a guy around Enniskillen who sells 2nd hand bricks, stones etc...

Sorry, no name details....google?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

up north timber is cheaper at the moment, sterling is going up though.

these guy's are normally very good for wood. http://www.gwp.ie/ nice and straight wood aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Treated Timber Sleepers.

Paving Slabs.

Try Aughamore Precast or Connaght gold for the slabs.

I don't know what that other $hit is so can't help!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I got the materials for a fireplace from a yard in Derry. From letterkenny you go out the portrush road. I can find out the name of the place later. They had recycled building materials there. Loads of everything really. I got a pallet of old red bricks a concrete slab 4 x 2 ft and a 7 foot oak peice for the mantle. for around 900stg three years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Cheers peeps - this is exactly the kinda info I was looking for... Does anyone know when the new Connaught Gold place is open? It looks like it's gonna be a fairly decent place.. it's MASSIVE! I can see it making a real dent on the likes of the faceless corporation of Homebase & the far too familiar face of Brooks & Hanleys... everytime I go into those two places, I really feel at home - it's like being a teenager in the 80's.... either the staff think you are there to rob something & give you funny looks, or they presume you are too young, dumb & broke to either know what you want or have the money to pay for it.

Hopefully CG will be a happy medium. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've heard some stories about people robbing homebase that would make your hair curl, though.

I can't blame staff there if they think everyone's going to rob them.

Xiney wrote: »
    I've heard some stories about people robbing homebase that would make your hair curl, though.

I can't blame staff there if they think everyone's going to rob them.

I think I left myself open to mis-interpretation there! What I was trying to say is that every time I go into Hanleys or Brooks, the staff treat me like a clueless feckless teenager instead of someone with 10 years experience in the construction industry.... so I know exactly what I'm doing.. yet when I asked in Brooks for a few bags of self levelling compound (for example), the old dude at the counter asked me what I wanted it for (as if I didn't know). If yr not an old dude in builders clothes, they really don't wanna know you coz they think you're a clueless DIY-er. And even if I was clueless, they should treat everyone with the same amount of respect.

As for the staff at Homebase - they've never looked at me like I was gonna rob something (maybe they should as I've sneaked the odd thing out without paying!)... in fact, they all seem pretty sound - the only problem I have with HB is the "faceless corporation" aspect of it (refer to my posts about the kitchen fiasco I went through for more info!). Dealing with their Head Office is like talking to a voice activated telephone system.. all you get are pre-written script responses & no real help. But the staff are sound - especially Bobcar! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

As for the staff at Homebase - they've never looked at me like I was gonna rob something (maybe they should as I've sneaked the odd thing out without paying!)...

Stealing isn't something you should be bragging about.

Xiney wrote: »
    Stealing isn't something you should be bragging about.

It's called re-appropriation... it's only classified as stealing if you get caught. :D

Cheers peeps - this is exactly the kinda info I was looking for... Does anyone know when the new Connaught Gold place is open?

I think it is!!

• Advertisement

I passed by it yesterday & they were still fitting the place out. It looks fairly close to completion though.

I passed by it yesterday & they were still fitting the place out. It looks fairly close to completion though.

Looks class tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

But the staff are sound - especially Bobcar! ;)

You've dealt with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I believe the official opening is St Patricks weekend, but that they were opening at the beginning of March. I was offered a job running the new Homewares department there, it sounds like its going to be fab. And Irish. And local. And good value. (I'm not working there, honest!)

I believe the official opening is St Patricks weekend, but that they were opening at the beginning of March. I was offered a job running the new Homewares department there, it sounds like its going to be fab. And Irish. And local. And good value. (I'm not working there, honest!)

It opens for business on Monday (take it from someone who knows;)) ... Official Opening around March 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Culchie wrote: »
    It opens for business on Monday (take it from someone who knows;)) ... Official Opening around March 16th.

Did I meet you?!

Did I meet you?!

I dunno. I'm only 'Culchie' in the online world:pac:

We're fitting out Connacht Gold over the next few days/weekend (signage/banners/point of sale material etc...)

bobcar61 wrote: »
    You've dealt with me?

Yes, I know exactly who you are. So be careful...

Nah - maybe, dunno.. but all the floor staff I've dealt with there seem sound enough - some of them completely clueless, but that's life.. at least they're civil & you don't get the 2nd class treatment you do in Brooks & Hanleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Every time someone nicks something from the likes of Homebase etc, It increases the chances of some poor divils livelyhood going down the swanny. Not so funny that eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Treated Timber Sleepers.

Paving Slabs.

There's a place on the old Sligo-Dublin road between Carraroe and Ballisodare (near the NCT place) who do cheap concrete paving slabs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement