Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday visa - 457 visa - redundant

Options
  • 19-02-2009 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Should someone have went over to Australia on a WHV and recieved sponsorship form a company. Then be made redundant by that company what choices if (any would) they have should they wish to remain in Australia?

This is of course considering that they wont be able to get sponsership again from another company.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Guys,

Should someone have went over to Australia on a WHV and recieved sponsorship form a company. Then be made redundant by that company what choices if (any would) they have should they wish to remain in Australia?

This is of course considering that they wont be able to get sponsership again from another company.

Hmm okay well from my reading of other posters once you are granted a 457 the whv expires you cant hold 2 visas.

If you are then let go on the 457 you have 28 days to be employed in a like role as per the 457 within 28 days of DIAC notifying you.

Now if as you say you cant secure that employment , well then you really have to go to your local flight centre.

You could attempt a PR visa and seek a bridging visa while its pending, but that is a conversation for an agent and applying onshore is pricey I hear.

There is also a student visa with 20 hrs a week work rights, but course fees are expensive for foriegn students.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia232 wrote: »

all above correct, but in realist terms a month to get a new job.

The PR route is not really viable as you won't be able to work until granted
    also you need to be qualified, which if you just came from a WHV then most likely not (need to be in Oz 2 years or something??)

hussey wrote: »
    all above correct, but in realist terms a month to get a new job.

The PR route is not really viable as you won't be able to work until granted
    also you need to be qualified, which if you just came from a WHV then most likely not (need to be in Oz 2 years or something??)

A month is tight luckily it sometimes takes a few weeks for the notification but even two months is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Hi, I'm currently going through that. Once you get your 457 your WHV is gone as far as I know. Once you are made redundant you have 28 days from the end of your employment to leave the country or get a new visa. I can get a de facto visa because I'm living with my partner.

Now there is a but of messing around with bridging visas to do to move from one visa to the next but these are only granted while you are waiting on the outcome of an application for a proper visa so are only useful if you have reasonable grounds to stay on anyway. This gets around the 28 days thing.

Really though I'd ring the visa office directly rather than rely on my word or anybody else's here. One thing I've found about visas is everyone thinks they know and are usually eager to help but often the advice is wrong or outdated.

Hi, I'm currently going through that. Once you get your 457 your WHV is gone as far as I know. Once you are made redundant you have 28 days from the end of your employment to leave the country or get a new visa. I can get a de facto visa because I'm living with my partner.

Now there is a but of messing around with bridging visas to do to move from one visa to the next but these are only granted while you are waiting on the outcome of an application for a proper visa so are only useful if you have reasonable grounds to stay on anyway. This gets around the 28 days thing.

Really though I'd ring the visa office directly rather than rely on my word or anybody else's here. One thing I've found about visas is everyone thinks they know and are usually eager to help but often the advice is wrong or outdated.

Have to agree it goes without saying to anyone taking advice of this or any simialar thread before any major steps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 chele

I hear that there is few jobs in Aus at the moment, and a friend of mine is actually sleeping rough on the streets of Melbourne.
    She has stayed a few nites in drop in centres, but is worried that her ailure to get employment will be mean she will have to leave in 2 weeks time. She has no money now, to get flights and she really does not want to come home to Ireland again, as her job was cut last October.

Is there others in this situation, or have been in this destitue situation??

If there is very few jobs, why are ppl getting working hol visas???

chele wrote: »
    I hear that there is few jobs in Aus at the moment, and a friend of mine is actually sleeping rough on the streets of Melbourne.
    She has stayed a few nites in drop in centres, but is worried that her ailure to get employment will be mean she will have to leave in 2 weeks time. She has no money now, to get flights and she really does not want to come home to Ireland again, as her job was cut last October.

Is there others in this situation, or have been in this destitue situation??

Oh for f**ks sake if she is sleeping rough on the streets of melbourne its time to abandon your WHV and fly the frigging hell home. She really has to call home for help.

Work holiday visa allow you too work they do not guarantee it you are meant to have enough finances to make it for some time without resorting to employment. And if those finances dry up well you are expected to fly home.

Its been said here to death that work is hard to come by in Aus.

Seriously your friend has to return as soon as possible,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Hi, I'm currently going through that. Once you get your 457 your WHV is gone as far as I know. Once you are made redundant you have 28 days from the end of your employment to leave the country or get a new visa.

This is a common misconception. You actually have 28 days from when DIMA send you out a letter telling you, your visa has been withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

chele wrote: »

Because it is a working HOLIDAY visa.

From immi.gov.au's own website on the WHV:
    This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through short-term employment. If your primary reason for travelling to Australia is to participate in the work force, you should consider a visa designed for that purpose.

Advertisement