Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Staying in power' motion for Green forum

Options
  • 19-02-2009 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0219/1224241417250.html
    DELEGATES AT the Green Party national convention next month will call for a special convention to decide on the party’s continuation in Government.
    It requests the national executive to organise a special convention in April 2010 to vote on the party’s continued participation in government following a reasonable period of deliberation and reflection.

The motion says that two options should be presented to delegates – to withdraw from Government or to reaffirm its commitment to government for the remainder of the term. There are two motions on national unity, one from Waterford and the other from the Belfast branch.

I think they have the date wrong, I can't imagine that it is 2010 they're talking about but this could be interesting given that the last poll had only 25% of Green voters supporting the present Government. It'll be interesting to see the national executive's reaction.

Any Green party members able to give us some more insight perhaps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well they clearly think being in power is better then being out, thats a different issue to be ing power with a corrupt party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I voted green last election, obviously I am very disappointed with their performance to date, however I do believe Eamon Ryan’s insulation scheme is the best idea they’ve had yet.

Before I wipe my hands of the greens altogether, I would encourage them to walk away from this corrupt government and use their Dail privilege to bring down this whole banking sham.

If there are green party members reading this, please walk away from this government and salvage whatever dignity you have left.
    I would have great respect for them if they do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

The greens are going nowhere because like FF they know they will be decimated at any general election, maybe after Gormless ,snots Ryan and grumpy sargent qualify for their pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭SeanW

+1. Being mature enough to admit an error is a big plus in my book. The Greens could regain my respect by pulling out of this shambolic administration.

Darsad wrote: »
    The greens are going nowhere because like FF they know they will be decimated at any general election, maybe after Gormless ,snots Ryan and grumpy sargent qualify for their pensions.

Not so sure, after their 3-4% rally in the recent poll.
    I (did) like the greens, but they are making it very difficult for me to consider voting for them again.

It's like wacthing a kid being bullied, someday soon they might just turn on their tormentors and kick 'em in the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

spadder wrote: »
    If there are green party members reading this, please walk away from this government and salvage whatever dignity you have left.
    I would have great respect for them if they do this.
    If they walk now, people would respect them for having the guts to do so rather than sit back and accept whatever FF do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Ive been very disheartened with their performance since they went into government and they have been destroying their credibility by repeatedly backing FF corruption and incompentence. I have to say though that if they did pull out now it would go along way to restoring my faith in them, it takes a big man(party) to admit you've made a mistake and Ill always respect someone who puts their hands up and says they were wrong. If they stay in government though and continue backing corrupt FF I will have zero respect for them ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭corribdude

I will vote for them again if they have the courage to pull out, they have done some good work in government and I like their policies. I will never vote for them again if they stay in (well for 15 years at least) and continue to support the FF mafia. If they stay in it is equivalent of saying to the Irish public "go and f*ck yourself" and they are as bad as Bertie, Charlie, Ray Burke, etc..... I think peoples respect for them for pulling out will easily outweigh the negative feelings against them for their actions over the last few months and the public will admire a party who shows they have principles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

A spokesman confirmed yesterday a motion has been tabled calling for the special meeting of all members during 2010.

I would imagine this is for 2010, as it is mentioned twice as being in 2010, plus it is in the print edition, if that makes any difference.

I find it hard to believe its 2010, this is an issue that needs to be addressed now, not in over a years time. Unless they're taking a leaf out of FF's tribunal playbook and want to be seen to be doing something while actually doing nothing but putting off the issue til public anger over it has dissipated. I dont see it dissipated in this case tho, if anything it'll get worse.

• Advertisement

Maybe 2010 is 8.10pm Tonight!

Just in nice time for the 9pm news.

Cmon the Greens, show some bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Pub07 wrote: »
    Ive been very disheartened with their performance since they went into government and they have been destroying their credibility by repeatedly backing FF corruption and incompentence. I have to say though that if they did pull out now it would go along way to restoring my faith in them, it takes a big man(party) to admit you've made a mistake and Ill always respect someone who puts their hands up and says they were wrong. If they stay in government though and continue backing corrupt FF I will have zero respect for them ever again.

I think the damage is done, but pulling out could be the difference between sympathy (short term damage) and hatred (long term)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is farcical by the greens. They lobbied for votes and got them, they ARE in government. They have a responsibility to the people of Ireland. if they arent happy with the existing set up, then lobby for change. They are within the ranks to do so. Put pressure on FF to make changes.

Its cowardly and dishonourable to even suggest in public that they are considering leaving government in the middle of crisis.

I never like the greens, but this takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

faceman wrote: »
    This is farcical by the greens. They lobbied for votes and got them, they ARE in government. They have a responsibility to the people of Ireland. if they arent happy with the existing set up, then lobby for change. They are within the ranks to do so. Put pressure on FF to make changes.

Its cowardly and dishonourable to even suggest in public that they are considering leaving government in the middle of crisis.

+1
    Perhaps they could change their motto to "When the going gets tough, the greens get going."

faceman wrote: »

It is not cowardly or dishonourable to leave this sham of a government. It is cowardly and dishonourable to stay in it, they should've pulled out earlier imo. This government is corrupt, incompentent and rotten to the core. There is no point in continuing to 'lobby for change' to FF, the only lobbying they go for is from builders, bankers, etc...I think the greens will have done what they can behind the scenes but it is FF holding all the cards and they have done and will do whatever they like while in power.

The best thing the Greens can do is to pull out and force a general election so we can start with a clean slate. Leaving a government that is dishonest, incompentent, corrupt and compromised in place for the next 3-4 years is not the answer we need right now. They are the ones that got us into this mess, I dont see how the useless bastards could be seen to have the intelligence to get us out of it, especially as Cowen is a lame duck Taoiseach, and has been for the last two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭SeanW

+1
    Perhaps they could change their motto to "When the going gets tough, the greens get going."
    But they're not going ... they're just going to think about it. Until April 2010 minimum.

If that April 2010 date is true, it is the stupidest thing Ive heard in a long long time. A huge pressing issue that will have a massive impact on the fate of the country and they are going to debate it in 14 months time....WTF?? Its like something you'd expect from FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

spadder wrote: »
    I voted green last election, obviously I am very disappointed with their performance to date, however I do believe Eamon Ryan’s insulation scheme is the best idea they’ve had yet.

oh come on thats hardly unique, even if the greens weren't in gov that would have happened, it happening in alot of other countries. without greens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Pub07 wrote: »
    It is not cowardly or dishonourable to leave this sham of a government. It is cowardly and dishonourable to stay in it, they should've pulled out earlier imo. This government is corrupt, incompentent and rotten to the core. .

They are the government!

Advertisement