Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darren Bent... opinions

• 19-02-2009 5:32am

sure he's got a lot of stick over the last 18 months but he's a quality player. What do you think about him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

i think he's awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very very talented forward, but I am starting to believe that there must be some issues we are not aware of, he was doing a great job at Spurs recently but is now not getting his place again. Something is certainly not right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think he's been treated really badly at Spurs. He did a good job this season so far after being buried by competition for ages. What do they reward his good play with, bringing in the exact same competition that kept him out for games and games. He needs to move to a smaller club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

With the right service Bent will score you goals, no question. I've been banging that drum for ages now. The problem is that he is not capable of much more, so to get any return out of him you need to set your team up to suit his game. He's a poor header of the ball, and he's awful at holding a ball up, he needs the ball presented in front of him to run on to to, he cannot receive a ball with his back to goals.

He's scored consistently for Spurs when he's got his chance, more consistently based on minutes played than the players keeping him out of the team, but IMO he is only suited to certain games and certain scenarios within games. There's no point playing him on his own in front of a midfield 5 then expecting him to hold up play for the CMs to get forward, and there's no point playing him against a side in which possession, and retaining shape, is crucial.

He'll move in the summer, probably to a side with less lofty ambitions (some here would say a more realistic opinion of itself) and score plenty of goals. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Has scored goals in misfiring teams (Spurs early this season, Charlton) at a very decent clip. The problem is, when he doesn't score he is a hindrance. He's just a poor all round player, fullstop. Keane and Pav's ratios aren't quite as impressive, but the other aspects of their games more than make up for that. He has rightly been dropped imo, and will move in the summer. If Hull stayed up, he would be ideal for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

With the right service Bent will score you goals, no question. I've been banging that drum for ages now. The problem is that he is not capable of much more, so to get any return out of him you need to set your team up to suit his game. He's a poor header of the ball, and he's awful at holding a ball up, he needs the ball presented in front of him to run on to to, he cannot receive a ball with his back to goals.

Reading this it just seems like he's built to be a mid-to-low table striker....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

keane2097 wrote: »
    Hes at the right club so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I don't think Spurs will get their £18m back for him. Unless they sell him to City.

Maybe he doesn't suit the style of football that Spurs are playing but he does what he was bought to do which is score goals when he gets his chance. And lets be fair he has never really gotten a fair shot at Spurs.

There have been plenty of top class Premier league players who have not offered much else to a team, Ruud Van Nistelrooy would be the greatest example of this in recent times.
    But yet someone here says that Keane and Pavlyuchenko offer so much more to a team. Well I'm sorry but I don't rate Pavlyuchenko at all. He looks good on the ball but there is no end product and he gets knocked off the ball very easily too. And he doesn't score goals with any regularity or create them either.
    I think Keane and Bent would be a much better option for Spurs. Keane is a genius at unlocking defenses and Bent is clinical, he missed a sitter and its become big news because of Redknapp's comments but in all fairness every striker has missed those at some stage.

In all fairness Darren Bent has an incridible goals to games or should I say minutes played ratio in the Premier league this season. He might not be the best team player but he does get it done by scoring goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eagle eye wrote: »
    Keane is a genius at unlocking defenses and Bent is clinical,

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Pavyluchenko offers a different option to the other three though because he's a target man and a Keane-Defoe-Bent partnership is just too lightweight IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I think he's been treated really badly at Spurs. He did a good job this season so far after being buried by competition for ages. What do they reward his good play with, bringing in the exact same competition that kept him out for games and games. He needs to move to a smaller club

Agree 100%. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He needs to move to a smaller club

surely no championship side could afford his wages tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Helix wrote: »

QPR?

I think with the right manager, and the right players around him, Bent could do quite well. David Moyes would work wonders with him, and nobody can say Everton are a bottom half of the table side. That said, none of the "big 4" would touch him, which tells it's own tale. LuckyLloyd has summed him up well IMO.
    CHD wrote:
    Hes at the right club so

When Chelsea return to not having a pot to piss in that quote could end up biting you in the ass.
    Helix wrote:

He said smaller club, not lower placed. And by any number of definitions, we are not a small club. Didn't take you long to develop the arrogance usually seen from the "big 4", one swallow does not make a summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

wrote:
    When Chelsea return to not having a pot to piss in that quote could end up biting you in the ass.
    Chelsea have a huge bladder and a endless supply of pots for the forseeable future so i doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

He said smaller club, not lower placed. And by any number of definitions, we are not a small club. Didn't take you long to develop the arrogance usually seen from the "big 4", one swallow does not make a summer.

you misunderstand, ive always held spurs with such contempt :D

Helix wrote: »
    you misunderstand, ive always held spurs with such contempt :D

That's alright, I'll be cheering Arsenal on to 4th place this season...;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

sure he's got a lot of stick over the last 18 months but he's a quality player. What do you think about him?

He's a runner!

So is Defoe!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

That's alright, I'll be cheering Arsenal on to 4th place this season...;):p

LOL that will go down well with your fellow spuds, but thanks we need all the help we can get ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Didn't take you long to develop the arrogance usually seen from the "big 4", one swallow does not make a summer.

He has always been like that tbh.

LOL that will go down well with your fellow spuds, but thanks we need all the help we can get ;)

No problem admitting I have admiration for the Goons, usually play football the way it should be played. Just a couple of individuals I have an issue with, and of course derby day is a whole different kettle of fish...:pac:

theres a lot of great input in here, thanks lads. What would you rate as his main strength and weakness though? I know he has immense pace and is strong but I'm not sure whether I'd compare him to Ruud or Toni when it comes to scoring, his accuracy is far less, accuarate. Also his 1st touch at times is desparate I'd still play him ahead of Pavly and Defoe.

theres a lot of great input in here, thanks lads. What would you rate as his main strength and weakness though? I know he has immense pace and is strong but I'm not sure whether I'd compare him to Ruud or Toni when it comes to scoring, his accuracy is far less, accuarate. Also his 1st touch at times is desparate I'd still play him ahead of Pavly and Defoe.

You're doing a final year project on Darren Bent aren't you? If you are fcuk off and do your own research... Fcukin students... :pac:

You're doing a final year project on Darren Bent aren't you? If you are fcuk off and do your own research... Fcukin students... :pac:

What subject could that even be called? the study on Darren Bent? sorry for the lack of imagination

What subject could that even be called? the study on Darren Bent? sorry for the lack of imagination

Diploma in Time Waste Management?

Diploma in Time Waste Management?

I wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Sounds like Keane all over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Quality striker in my opinion, just prone to confidence issues.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No problem admitting I have admiration for the Goons, usually play football the way it should be played. Just a couple of individuals I have an issue with, and of course derby day is a whole different kettle of fish...:pac:
    57,000 every other game is a couple? ;)

57,000 every other game is a couple? ;)

I start with Sulzeer, move on to Pires, Henry, Wright (at times), Donkey Adams, Monkey Keown, Fabregas, Wenger (when his sight is a bit affected), Sonia off Eastenders, Matt Lucas, Rory McGrath and this sham:

56988 more to go?

:P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

haha that's class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bent reminds me of Cissé. he's one dimensional. Very good under certain scenarios, but just hasn't the all round skills to compete at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Bent's a useless, highly over-rated pathetic excuse for a footballer

Bent's a useless, highly over-rated pathetic excuse for a footballer
    If he is that bad how on earth is he top scorer at his club even though he has ony started 13 league games and had a couple of sub appearances?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah, what an overreaction. He might not be top class but he is definitely above average.

Advertisement