Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampers: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???!!!

Options
  • 19-02-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

DSCF2225.jpg

Can anyone explain why there is always a car clamped on this section of road out by the harbour?

I walk by here everyday and there's always a clamp on one of these cars. It's strange cause the cars have been there for weeks. The Vectra has been there at least 2 months now. Do people just abandon their cars when they get clamped? Could they be stolen?
    Originally these cars were all clamped but the owners didn't pay up so the clamps were taken off. But no one bothered to pick up the cars so now they are just left there. And some gowel has re clamped them...
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'v seen this on a road near where I live in Cork.
    Foreign reg car was clamped for about 3 weeks and never moved.
    Then the calmp was removed for a few days.
    Yesterday a brand new shiny clamp was on the car.

Strange - I thought it would be towed/moved by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

I just passed that on the way to work this morning.

I thought the same.

Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

My theory is that the clampers had only so many clamps.
    They were loosing money by putting them on cars od people who were not going to pay rather then putting them on people who would pay straight away (such as the students out by UCC)
    So now they just got some new clamp stock and have put them back on the street... maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

That is so funny! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They could belong to people who have gone out on the Boats? If it's down by the docks. Is there any no parking sign there?

Who want's to come rob a few cars with me when those annoying clamps get taken off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bill-e wrote: »
    My theory is that the clampers had only so many clamps.
    They were loosing money by putting them on cars od people who were not going to pay rather then putting them on people who would pay straight away (such as the students out by UCC)
    So now they just got some new clamp stock and have put them back on the street... maybe.

Boom - mystery solved imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Bill-e wrote: »
    the owners didn't pay up so the clamps were taken off.

they actually do that? how long does it take? if they ever tried it on me i'd make sure the clamp could never be used again but its good to know you can just wait it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I know a fella who ripped off one of those clamps off his car!he is a big guy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

I know a fella who ripped off one of those clamps off his car!he is a big guy...

Im far from a big guy and could do it
    let the air pressure from the tyres out.

and just slide it off :)

[Update]

All clamps are now removed.

I'm never paying to get a clamp removed ever again. Just wait a week, get the buss. Save money on the clamp fine and petrol...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep - noticed that on the car next to my apt today too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

why do they even clamp people cars out there. They're not blocking anything. In that pic too it doesn't even look like there is a double yellow line

suppafly wrote: »
    why do they even clamp people cars out there. They're not blocking anything. In that pic too it doesn't even look like there is a double yellow line

They can't clamp on double yellows. They just toe ya. There's signs up for disc parking.

any particular reason why they always go for the same wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

the clampers are gowels!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

towel401 wrote: »
    any particular reason why they always go for the same wheel?

they have to go on the front wheel on the drivers side, so that the driver will actually, definitely see it. Otherwise you could do alot of internal damage to your car, which would end up costing them alot of money.

peanuthead wrote: »
    they have to go on the front wheel on the drivers side, so that the driver will actually, definitely see it. Otherwise you could do alot of internal damage to your car, which would end up costing them alot of money.

none of them are on the front wheel. i always seen them go for the back wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

towel401 wrote: »
    none of them are on the front wheel. i always seen them go for the back wheel

Oh yeah back wheel thats what I should have written. Well thats the reason for it having to be on that side anyway.

If I had a taste for parking illegally(which I don't, although I did get clamped once!!) I would just buy my own clamp and put it on my car everytime I left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

well they put it on the side that facing out cuz its easier to see. They always put a big yellow and black sticker on the drivers side window so even if u didn't see the clamp u couldn't miss the notice on your window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

thought the funniest ever was there's an estate near me that a guy in the house had a big no parking sign on his gate when the big games were on, anyone who parked there he put on a clamp while the were in the game. Funny part is there was a game on, white van pulled across his gate guy got out and walked away. THe house owner came out and slapped out the van. Turns out it was a clamper checking the area. Was soo funny. True story. I was working in the butchers when the clamper came in asking if we knew who'd done it

• Advertisement
Advertisement