Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm impressed! Reallly impressed!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Webbs wrote: »
    As for the poster about Canada a friend went there and was taken ill, they wouldnt even see him until his wife had produced insurance documents and a credit card! When they treated him they said he had to have his appendix out even though he kept telling them he had had that out years before and showed then the small scar, they didnt believe him or contact his GP in the UK and proceeded with the operation anyway. No apology afterwards and just shipped him home with a very large bill for his insurance to deal with.

Non-residents will have to produce their travel insurance and credit card - this is due to Americans attempting to avail of free health care by crossing the border and going to the Emergency room.

If you have proof of residency you're grand. My appendectomy was 100% free.

Additionally, why did your friend consent to the operation if he was so sure he didn't have appendicitis? You have to sign release forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cdv

Why are they useless if its the system you object to then fair enough but these are people who work in an stressful job, in an underfunded environment.
    If you want to go round being obnoxious about people then am not surprised you get treated badly!

Hey, I would gladly exchange their niceness for a working service.
    I don't care if they smile when they say that they can't help me!
    They may as well swear while solving the problem. No problems there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

cdv wrote: »

Ah the "can-do, cursing like a stable-boy" approach - Hey, works in IT :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Xiney wrote: »
    Non-residents will have to produce their travel insurance and credit card - this is due to Americans attempting to avail of free health care by crossing the border and going to the Emergency room.

If you have proof of residency you're grand. My appendectomy was 100% free.

Additionally, why did your friend consent to the operation if he was so sure he didn't have appendicitis? You have to sign release forms.

Because he was in a hell of a lot of pain - you dont exactly think logically in that situation.
    As for the travel insurance etc, his wife had to leave him at the hospital and drive back to their hotel to get the documents (took a couple of hours) before a doctor would even look at him to see if there was anything they could do to alleviate the pain or make a diagnosis, if it had been a burst appendix etc it could have been a life threatening length of time at least here you would be treated no questions asked (though you might have to wait 4 hours on a trolley ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Hey, I would gladly exchange their niceness for a working service.
    I don't care if they smile when they say that they can't help me!

So whose useless the nurses? or the doctor/consultant who believes that your problem is not in their field and was referring you to a different part of the health system to see someone who can make a proper diagnosis.

• Advertisement

So whose useless the nurses? or the doctor/consultant who believes that your problem is not in their field and was referring you to a different part of the health system to see someone who can make a proper diagnosis.

Listen ... I understand that those nurses are working hard and get a lot of crap the they don't deserve.
    But lets not confuse the busyness with achievements.
    Yes ... it's a bee hive in the hospital.
    Does this mean that lots of people get their health issues solved?!
    I think not.

So, paradoxically, although I do think that medical workers deserve our respect, I also think that in this country they are very much ineffective/useless.

Regarding so called referral to another doctor - I already wrote that from her POV it's "not her problem" and "I'm healthy" and she was to busy to at least explain to me what shall I do next (the whole session lasted under 2 minutes)

I'll see on monday what my GP can tell me, but I already have a bad feeling about this. I'm afraid I'll have to fly home (500euro for ticket ... f@#k)

Because he was in a hell of a lot of pain - you dont exactly think logically in that situation.
    As for the travel insurance etc, his wife had to leave him at the hospital and drive back to their hotel to get the documents (took a couple of hours) before a doctor would even look at him to see if there was anything they could do to alleviate the pain or make a diagnosis, if it had been a burst appendix etc it could have been a life threatening length of time at least here you would be treated no questions asked (though you might have to wait 4 hours on a trolley ;) )

If his vitals were stable (and they would not have been if his appendix had burst) then they had no reason to treat him without assurance that they would not be doing so for free on the Canadian tax payer's dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

I went to my GP for a hepatitis test a few years ago. Just turned up at his surgery, as I usually do, with no appointment. He took a blood sample, sent it off to the hospital lab, and I had the results back within a week or two. All of that cost, about 5 years ago, 30 euro, which included other blood tests. That would be typical of the service I am accustomed to.

I agree that aspects of the Irish health service are third world (ditto with transport system). I have also been appalled at the filthy state of the bathrooms during serveral stays in UCGH hospital.

Some years ago, I had an MRI and an ultrasound in Galway Hotel... sorry... Galway "Clinic", and found the service appalling, although the place couldn't have been cleaner and shinier! I'd rather wait a bit longer and get things properly done and properly diagnosed.

I have also had a good bit of experience with the USA healthcare system which is shocking. The private healthcare system there is rotten to the core with the slickest imaginable salespeople posing as doctors.

I have much greater faith in the Irish healthcare system than the USA one.

By the way, the pain killers that I have are starting being ineffective.
    What do you think I shall do in case it gets really bad during the night?!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

If things get bad and you can't wait til tomorrow, ring West-Doc. If they can't help, go to the Emergency Room in UCGH hospital.

If you're looking for a very thorough, top-class GP, try Dr Patrick Meagher, Clybaun Surgery, Knocknacarra, Galway. He's the best doctor I've ever been to. He is both qualified and able to do a lot of stuff that other GPs cannot.

Last time I checked, he wasn't taking on any new patients, however, as he was very busy with his existing ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

Go on, tell us your symptoms and we'll see if we can sort you out! Cheaper than flying home anyway!

Go to A&E.

None of us here are doctors (although if doctors are telling people to google foot pain these days then...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

Xiney wrote: »
    Go to A&E.

None of us here are doctors (although if doctors are telling people to google foot pain these days then...)

Hasn't she had the pain for months now? That's not an A or an E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Hey, here is an idea - what do you think if we start a campaign in Moldova, Poland, Romania with title "Donate to save lives in Ireland", or maybe "Save children in Ireland" :)
    Polish health system is one of the best in Europe in my opinion. Look at the medical websites how many complicated surgeries has been made there for the first time ever. Especially their plastic surgery which made the one in Germany and Sweden close to bankruptcy as everyone is going to Poland now. Bad example comparing them to Moldova.

Even here when my Polish friends get sick or need a dental help they prefer to take a day off, pay for the ticket and go to Poland than visit local doctor in Galway. Plus as I heard it's even cheaper, including the ticket. But that's another story.

Advertisement