Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Addresses

Options
  • 19-02-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Folks,

Quick one for you. I'm with BT broadband as residential customer.

I’d like to stream music remotely, i.e. stream music from laptop at home when I’m sitting in my office in work.

How do I find my laptop IP address, do I need a static IP? If I know the dynamic address how to I connect to the laptop remotely?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi wrote: »
    Folks,

Quick one for you. I'm with BT broadband as residential customer.

I’d like to stream music remotely, i.e. stream music from laptop at home when I’m sitting in my office in work.

How do I find my laptop IP address, do I need a static IP? If I know the dynamic address how to I connect to the laptop remotely?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

There are free services such as dyndns.org that create an updating domainname pointing to your dynamic IP. Or you could use something like www.logmein.com to keep track of the IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Hi Hi
    You don't need a static addy, tho its more convenient if you have one. You need an encoder to stream with. Window Media Encoder does the job perfectly. I don't know about BT but in the Eircom Netopia router you can get it to assign your public address to a specific PC (in your case the laptop). You also need to assign a port to the encoder, say 8080, in NAT. When you start Windows encoder, it will tell you what your address is. E.g [url]Http://86.46.xxx.xxx:8080[/url]
    In media player on your work pc, under file, play url and enter the address.
    Remember this may change if you reset the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Theirs an application called WInamp Orb that does exactly what your looking for,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

johnciall wrote: »
    Theirs an application called WInamp Orb that does exactly what your looking for,

Cough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

FredH3as wrote: »

^^^ Everyone makes mistakes at some stage, can you leave the comments about peoples spelling and grammar out of the thread please and keep it on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

FredH3as wrote: »

*cough* Dyslexic *cough*

Advertisement