Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using you phone on board Ryanair flights

• 19-02-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

Hi guys O2 have exclusively launched this today with Ryanair and I am wondering if anyone has any questions about it could they ask it here. Here is a link to the content. Thanks a million I hope you get good use out of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

As a mod...
    Can you post some of your own comments too Daryll? What do you think of it? This is a discussion forum and not a place neccessarily for O2 annoucements. Need to find the right balance in between :)

As me ...
    I like it as a step forward.

I dislike
    - the rip off data pricing. Nothing revolutionary there.
    - the idiot next to me will be yapping on his phone. I'll stab him and I'll get arrested. That's not justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

Exclusive is a little misleading I think.

O2 is the only Ireland provider currently signed up but there's many more across Europe, and other Irish providers are in talks (http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0219/ryanair.html).

Sounds like advertising to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How bout O2 pay boards for advertising Daryll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Thought vodafone were doing it too?
    To be honest 02 haven't a chance in hell of me paying those prices to use a phone on a plane or vodafone for that matter! They can forget it! I agree with the man who speaks sense, Random, I'll stab someone beside me:L;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cooperla wrote: »
    Sounds like advertising to me.
    How bout O2 pay boards for advertising Daryll.

Ok, guys, take it easy.

The mods had a discussion about this and decided that yes, it was borderline advertising.

However, as Daryll is generally fairly helpful in this forum, and as this is a very hot topic, we felt that it would be worth allowing the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Vodafone have decided to stay out of it for now apparently. According to the RTE article linked above though MEteor and 3 are in talks.

I really don't see why it's only O2 in Ireland at the moment. I don't see what the risk is, unless O2 had to put some capital forward towards it or something.

I may combine Cabbage mobile for sending SMS along with free to receive SMS. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Tom, eye , whatever I'm dizzy with name changes:L
    I like Darylls helpfulness but meh. no advertising.(but he's cool;))
    Actually it might not be a bad idea the price being so high and only on 02, people will think twice when they realise how expensive it is and come on almost 50c a text- in the words of Axel Foley, GET OUTTA HERE!:D

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Tom, eye , whatever I'm dizzy with name changes:L

Your head is dizzy? My good name is under sustained assault. Imagine how I feel.
    Ah-Watch wrote:
    I like Darylls helpfulness but meh. no advertising.(but he's cool;))
    Actually it might not be a bad idea the price being so high and only on 02, people will think twice when they realise how expensive it is and come on almost 50c a text- in the words of Axel Foley, GET OUTTA HERE!:D

The answer is simple - don't use it. I certainly won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Can someone tell me why it is now safe to use a mobile phone on board and how it was dangerous before?

People who are ignorent of tech really piss me off, I was once told to turn off my mobile phone in a petrol station as they cause static sparks.

Its all just myths.

If phones were really that dangerous on planes, you can bet they would not let us take them on. They wont let you take water on FFS.

Can someone tell me why it is now safe to use a mobile phone on board and how it was dangerous before?

The biggest factor was the unknown - they simply didn't know what the effect of possibly 100 transmitting phones in the cabin would have on the plane's systems.

Part of it was to do with signal strength, the further the phone was from a base station, the more it increased it's transmission power. As potentially 100+ phones would be doing this on the plane, the effects were unknown. To counteract this, I believe they put a pico-cell in the plane itself, i.e. a mini-base station, so the phones can communicate with it on very low power (as they are physically close to it).
    People who are ignorent of tech really piss me off, I was once told to turn off my mobile phone in a petrol station as they cause static sparks.

Its all just myths.

Not necessarily.

I believe the old analogue phones did have bits and bobs in them that could potentially cause a spark. Of course they are long gone now and as far as I know, the current digital phones do not have the same components.

• Advertisement

eye fohne wrote: »
    The biggest factor was the unknown - they simply didn't know what the effect of possibly 100 transmitting phones in the cabin would have on the plane's systems.

Part of it was to do with signal strength, the further the phone was from a base station, the more it increased it's transmission power. As potentially 100+ phones would be doing this on the plane, the effects were unknown. To counteract this, I believe they put a pico-cell in the plane itself, i.e. a mini-base station, so the phones can communicate with it on very low power (as they are physically close to it).

Not necessarily.

I believe the old analogue phones did have bits and bobs in them that could potentially cause a spark. Of course they are long gone now and as far as I know, the current digital phones do not have the same components.

You are wrong on both counts. Show me evdience of any phone sparking a fire in a petrol station.

Mythbusters or some similar program tried both the mobile phone situations I mention above...................

They put around 100 phones in a caravan with massive amounts of exposex petrol, and rand them at the same time................Guess what happened..........Nothing

As for the unknown in respect to air craft............. here is a simple way to get rid of the unknown, how about testing.

Do some testing, some controlled testing and look at the results. This is the 21st century, unknowns with this kind of technology are very rare because they are tested so much.

Again this same program tried the phones in a plane, guess what happened......nothing. There was some interference if they put the phones right next to the dials in the cockpit I will admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    - the idiot next to me will be yapping on his phone. I'll stab him and I'll get arrested. That's not justice.

Do you know only 6 phones can be used at anytime :D so its not as bad as it seems considering a 300 seat plane. Only if its a big sucess they will upgrade it so 10 phones can be used at the one time :pac:

You are wrong on both counts. Show me evdience of any phone sparking a fire in a petrol station.

Whoa there Charlie, relax, will you? What's with the confrontational attitude?

Read what I said again. I was talking about analogue phones. When was the last time you saw an analogue phone?
    Mythbusters or some similar program tried both the mobile phone situations I mention above...................

They put around 100 phones in a caravan with massive amounts of exposex petrol, and rand them at the same time................Guess what happened..........Nothing

Ok, so if a low-budget, program on that bastion of quality TV, Sky says it is so, well then it must be.
    MAs for the unknown in respect to air craft............. here is a simple way to get rid of the unknown, how about testing.

Do some testing, some controlled testing and look at the results. This is the 21st century, unknowns with this kind of technology are very rare because they are tested so much.

Again this same program tried the phones in a plane, guess what happened......nothing. There was some interference if they put the phones right next to the dials in the cockpit I will admit.

Of course they have now tested it and proved there is no impact. Hence, they can now safely use mobile phones in aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

no you're absolutely wrong!!!!!

it was brainiac :D

Whoa there Charlie, relax, will you? What's with the confrontational attitude?

Read what I said again. I was talking about analogue phones. When was the last time you saw an analogue phone?

Ok, so if a low-budget, program on that bastion of quality TV, Sky says it is so, well then it must be.

Of course they have now tested it and proved there is no impact. Hence, they can now safely use mobile phones in aircraft.

I was not being confrontational, sorry if it came across that way, its hard to get tone on the internet.

My point about it all being safe is not important, I think anyone with any knowledge of how a mobile phone works has always known that.

The truth is they have not let you use your own mobile phone on a plane until now because.....................they could not charge you for it. Now that they can charge, guess what has happened....

Sparks from a mobile phone........there is more chance of sparks from my dogs arse!

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    no you're absolutely wrong!!!!!

it was brainiac :D

You are quite correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mythbusters tried it twice,, :P
    episodes 2 and 14 to be exact

The truth is they have not let you use your own mobile phone on a plane until now because.....................they could not charge you for it. Now that they can charge, guess what has happened....

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Like any new technology, it had to go through various tests to ensure there would be no impact to the plane. Err on the side of caution, and all that.

Now that they have proven mobile phones don't interfere, they can allow the use in flight and charge accordingly.
    Sparks from a mobile phone........there is more chance of sparks from my dogs arse!

Again, you did not read what I said.

I referenced analogue mobile phones. Do you know the difference between an analogue phone of yesteryear and the current digital GSM phones?

I merely proposed a suggestion that might explain the origin of the notion that mobile phones can cause sparks. I did not conclusively say this is how it is.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Like any new technology, it had to go through various tests to ensure there would be no impact to the plane. Err on the side of caution, and all that.

Now that they have proven mobile phones don't interfere, they can allow the use in flight and charge accordingly.

the thing that used to irritate me was that some airlines wouldn't even allow phones to be on in flight mode. you'd show them the big X across the network coverage indicator but they just wouldn't listen :mad:

the thing that used to irritate me was that some airlines wouldn't even allow phones to be on in flight mode. you'd show them the big X across the network coverage indicator but they just wouldn't listen :mad:

That's just pure and simple ignorance, coupled with fear of the unknown.

I was on a flight last year where on the outward journey, we could have every imaginable gadget on (in flight mode, of course), whereas on the return journey, the crusty old matron of a cabin manager categorically stated that phones in flight mode were not acceptable and must be powered off.

And it was the same airline on both legs of the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wow they're some insane prices. I can see the SMS being a big money spinner though, particularly as it doesn't really have the same capacity problems as the voice calls. Perhaps the voice calls are priced so highly to discourage its use and allow more SMS traffic through.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

i don't know man, i had this dog before called sparky....

{hangs head in shame}

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Yeah, cause those air hostesses / hosts all get training on the different symbols on every manufacturers phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Yeah, cause those air hostesses / hosts all get training on the different symbols on every manufacturers phone.

Yes, but after hearing from countless customers in-flight regarding their handsets that have an offline/flight mode, you would think one of them would at least ask their management "now what's this offline/flight mode thing I keep hearing about from customers?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Well the whole thing is like a big test at the moment to see how people respond to the service. Will someone yapping on the phone next to you while you are trying to listen to your tunes be a deterant to use the service? Will the cost prove to be too much? will the call quality be as desired? If you have used this service and you like or hate it or if you have an opinion on it I know some people would be delighted to hear your feedback.

If you have used this service and you like or hate it or if you have an opinion on it I know some people would be delighted to hear your feedback.

Daryll, I'll have to jump in there and nip this one in the bud.

I have no problem with you helping out here, you do provide valuable assistance to people, but I can't allow this forum to be used to solicit feedback on O2's products. Especially when O2 are not contributing anything to Boards.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Yes, but after hearing from countless customers in-flight regarding their handsets that have an offline/flight mode, you would think one of them would at least ask their management "now what's this offline/flight mode thing I keep hearing about from customers?"

No it's not that. Suppose I showed you a Samsung / Nokia / Apple / LG / Sony phone and they were all in flight mode. I'd imagine they're not techy people. Either the cabin crew can examine the phone or just tell you to turn it off.
    They could take our word for it I suppose. But how many times have you been sitting on a plane during a taxi when you hear some genius getting a text message or having his phone ring.

No it's not that. Suppose I showed you a Samsung / Nokia / Apple / LG / Sony phone and they were all in flight mode. I'd imagine they're not techy people. Either the cabin crew can examine the phone or just tell you to turn it off.
    They could take our word for it I suppose. But how many times have you been sitting on a plane during a taxi when you hear some genius getting a text message or having his phone ring.

unless they do a cavity search of everyone on the plane they are taking their word for it that their phone is off so i don't see why they couldn't take my word for it that it's in flight mode. the same staff will allow laptops that have wifi and bluetooth. they just tell people to turn those features off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

unless they do a cavity search of everyone on the plane they are taking their word for it that their phone is off so i don't see why they couldn't take my word for it that it's in flight mode. the same staff will allow laptops that have wifi and bluetooth. they just tell people to turn those features off...

I agree. How difficult would it be, if they wanted to, to check that there was an “X" or similar symbol denoting the handset was in offline/flight mode? You don’t have to be “technical” to realise there are no coverage bars on a phone, especially given the fact that practically everyone has a mobile phone now and would be quite familiar with them in general. Even besides that fact, since it is clearly an issue within their role, they could ask for training to facilitate their understanding of offline/flight mode functionality on mobile phones.

• Advertisement

Again, you did not read what I said.

This tech was ready to roll just before 9/11, I remember a report on BBC news 24 saying how it was ready to be put on American Airlines fleet......

Of course after 9/11 it all went down the pan, no one was prepared to foot the cost of putting this tech on planes that may never fly again.

It had nothing to do with testing if phones were dangerous to planes, it was always about money and how to make more money.

Advertisement