Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC

Options
  • 19-02-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a new pc, I usually buy a dell, but reading this board I'd like to build my own using Komplett.

I've built pc's years ago, but now all the different types of motherboard, processor's and memory are confusing my poor old brain cell.

What I want is an intel processor, 4 gb of ram, a big hd 2 r/w dvd/cd, a dual grapics card and 2 monitors, whats the pro's re quad/core dual/core ddr2 and ddr3 etc, and herself wants to do video editing of old family tapes to dvds etc

I'll be using it for mundane stuff mostly word/excel some plc programming and the odd half life type game.

Anyone got any ideas what hardware i should get to assemble.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Big question: What's the budget for this build?

Quad-core processors are very good at heavy multitasking and multithreaded CPU-intensive applications. The increased price and energy consumption and lower raw clock speeds makes them overkill for light-duty work and the vast majority of games (which, while very intensive, rarely make use of more than two CPU cores, with one recent notable exception...). Dualies are still fine for most systems that won't need hardcore number-crunching capabilities.

As for DDR2 or DDR3... the latter is faster and more energy efficient, but pricey as hell. The former is used in most systems today, and unless you're building a high-end system the DDR3 option likely won't even turn up as the two are not physically compatible and DDR3 only works on high-end and next-gen motherboards anyway.

For most people a basic Intel processor such as the E5200 fits most needs. Drop it into a P43/45 motherboard with a couple of 2GB PC6400 DDR2 sticks and you'll be able to take on most things. How much gaming do you want to do anyway? HD4650 will handle basic graphics and many older games just fine. If you want to dabble with more modern games the HD4830 is by far the best starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Thanks Solitaire.

My budget would be up to 1k or there abouts, with the monitors on top of that. I want to get as high a spec as I can, with a couple of dvd/cd r/w for herself to do her video editing, would vista have enough inbuilt capabilities for that do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pubelicious15

Well if you've got €1k then why not build a core i7 machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Well if you've got €1k then why not build a core i7 machine?

Well i need an idiots guide ie buy this bit, n that bit etc

Advertisement