Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up stuff for Lent

Options
  • 19-02-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm in two minds about it this year. I'm not religious but I kinda like the idea of having to have a bit of discipline in my otherwise unruly life. Any bright ideas on what I could give up that's not the usual chocs/booze/cigs (don't smoke anyway) theme>
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Religion.

..ah wait, I gave that up a long time ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Why not try something different besides the domineering catholic control of giving something up? Why not start jogging or join a new group or something? Eat healthier maybe, go out more and meet new friends? It's this nonsensical stupid catholic outlook on life thats wrong with Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Start smoking

I don't see why people need a particular time of year as a window to improve themselves. It's as stupid as Valentine's Day. People actually need a set, manufactured holiday each year to show appreciation to one another when the reality is you can do it anytime of the year.

It's the same with this. Do what you can whenever you can to better yourself, you don't need 'lent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

About four or five years ago i gave up giving up stuff for lent, it has worked out pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,394 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Answering that question.

If you want to give up something for disciplinary purposes, why wiat until Lent?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is it Lent already?

Did I miss Pancake Tuesday again?

Balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Is it Lent already?

Did I miss Pancake Tuesday again?

Balls.

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I don't see why people need a particular time of year as a window to improve themselves. It's as stupid as Valentine's Day. People actually need a set, manufactured holiday each year to show appreciation to one another when the reality is you can do it anytime of the year.

It's the same with this. Do what you can whenever you can to better yourself, you don't need 'lent'.

Next you'll be trying to tell us that we can have pancakes any time we want, not just one Tuesday a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

wait........when is lent this year? im gonna give up being nice!!

• Advertisement

Wreck wrote: »
    Next you'll be trying to tell us that we can have pancakes any time we want, not just one Tuesday a year.

It's been scientifically proven!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm giving up sex.

Instead of not getting any, which I probably won't :p ,I can use the Lent excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Queenofsheba

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Answering that question.

If you want to give up something for disciplinary purposes, why wiat until Lent?

Because I HAVE no discipline, and need someone big bad and ugly to tell me when to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm in two minds about it this year. I'm not religious but I kinda like the idea of having to have a bit of discipline in my otherwise unruly life. Any bright ideas on what I could give up that's not the usual chocs/booze/cigs (don't smoke anyway) theme>

Boards.ie.

6 Posts, I'd watch that if I were you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Because I HAVE no discipline, and need someone big bad and ugly to tell me when to do it.

Discipline?

Gets handcuffs and Whips out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

What do you mean by the last thing you said there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm giving up believing in fairy tales about some zombie in the middle east who was around 2000 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Queenofsheba

K-9 wrote: »
    Boards.ie.

6 Posts, I'd watch that if I were you.

Post-frequency snobbery. I wonder why I don't come on here more often... hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Im giving up drink and choclate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

last year i gave up bread(pastries etc) the year before it was rice and chocs... this year maybe boards/facebook/sex

• Advertisement

I wonder why I don't come on here more often... hmmm

A few of the lads could help on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm giving up lent for drink.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I'm giving up lent for drink.
    It's rubbish but it's brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Im giving up stamp collecting and knitting. Im a bítch for the knitting. To try curb the cravings Im going to take up drinking.

completely disagree. reality is that people do need these set dates.

Stop trying to give stuff up, start to DO instead and not just for 5 weeks. Give up fags AND DO some running regardless of lent and do both forever (if you can).

I don't like Lent, it's really pointless, people give up things for 5 weeks that they should never have taken up in the first place. Take smoking, you shouldn't really do it, it's not that good for you. During Lent you may give up ciggarettes and then the fifth week comes and your desperate, the last of the tobacco is egging you on and Lent ends and your back into 20 a day or something, but you still pat yourself on the back for doing it for 5 and a half weeks. Hold on a second, you should give them up completely! And realistically what did you gain then, a sense of discipline which (if it exists to begin with, it's only a "sense") will be worn away completely by next Lent. Think of the way we behave during Christmas with drinking and food consumption - it's a total contradiction to our lent views. Lent is either a lifetime philosophy or it's nothing. Or you could just be completely aetheist like me and ues your head. I eat healthily, I don't smoke, I take regular exercise and I'm in good nick - the philosophy is "being healthy is good for me". Simple as that.

I have no time whatsoever for New Years resolutions but they have more credibility than "Lent" because you may actually keep them going for life. The 5 week cop out from Lent is nonsensical.

I know some will say "well I gave up smoking for Lent and never went back to it", but I'd say that represents about 2% of all Lent goers, possibly less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Stop trying to give stuff up, start to DO instead and not just for 5 weeks. Give up fags AND DO some running regardless of lent and do both forever (if you can).

I don't like Lent, it's really pointless, people give up things for 5 weeks that they should never have taken up in the first place. Take smoking, you shouldn't really do it, it's not that good for you. During Lent you may give up ciggarettes and then the fifth week comes and your desperate, the last of the tobacco is egging you on and Lent ends and your back into 20 a day or something, but you still pat yourself on the back for doing it for 5 and a half weeks. Hold on a second, you should give them up completely! And realistically what did you gain then, a sense of discipline which (if it exists to begin with, it's only a "sense") will be worn away completely by next Lent. Think of the way we behave during Christmas with drinking and food consumption - it's a total contradiction to our lent views. Lent is either a lifetime philosophy or it's nothing. Or you could just be completely aetheist like me and ues your head. I eat healthily, I don't smoke, I take regular exercise and I'm in good nick - the philosophy is "being healthy is good for me". Simple as that.

I have no time whatsoever for New Years resolutions but they have more credibility than "Lent" because you may actually keep them going for life. The 5 week cop out from Lent is nonsensical.

I know some will say "well I gave up smoking for Lent and never went back to it", but I'd say that represents about 2% of all Lent goers, possibly less.

Quiet Jimmy.

I going to give up quoting funnies for Lent.

completely disagree. reality is that people do need these set dates.
    What do you mean "reality is that people do need these set dates". I disagree, I think the culture is in place to do it the way you suggest but thats not some kind of set in stone thing. When two people go out with each other they have a Valentines Day of their own, and that could be in October! There just happens to be a day that interestingly enough was invented by Hallmark to sell cards.

I'm beginning to think you're post was actually a joke because your called Ads By Google.

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Quiet Jimmy.

I going to give up quoting funnies for Lent.
    My names not Jimmy. As far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Answering that question.

Think I'll give up sex... but if I have a slip I'll make sure to post it here straight away

what ya reckon Ikky Poo2?! :P

Advertisement