Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2030 Vision - Dublin City Transport Plan

Options
  • 19-02-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi all,

The latest phase on consultation on the transport plan for Dublin City has been launched. Having read through the proposals, I've decided to email the link around, and encourage everyone to air their views on the new plans. The full proposals (and links to submit your feedback) are at www.2030vision.ie

I am a driver, I take my car into work every day. It takes about 30 minutes to get to work in my car. In order to take public transport to work, I would first have to walk 2.3 km (approx 30-35 minutes), take a luas about 7-8 stops (approx 10-15 minutes at best), and then walk another 2.5km (approx 30-35 minutes) to arrive at my office. While I believe that everyone should do their part to cut down on the impact we make on the planet, I do not believe that this is an acceptable trade for my 30 minute drive each morning.

I firmly believe that until public transport is improved to the point that it is actually a realistic and viable alternative to driving to work, the current transport plan should not be permitted to go ahead. The plans laid out in the 2030 vision place much of the blame for current traffic and pollution problems on the motorists in Dublin. Proposed in the plan are numerous charges, tolls, and taxes, which are all designed to make it difficult to drive into and through Dublin City, to park once you're there, and to stay for any length of time. In addition, the plan includes provision to pedestrianise some important roads, including College Green (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0211/1233867931788.html) making it extremely difficult to get around to city and to get to some of its more popular locations.

I have already aired my views on the matter at the website, and I would like to encourage everyone to read up on the proposals and do the same, and make sure that everyone is made aware of the public consultation on these matters before Sunday March 22nd (the closing date for feedback on the plans). So please take a few moments to consider the proposals, and perhaps to forward this on to others who might be interested in the plans.

Thanks for reading,

Kila

Advertisement