Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows update has ruined my laptop

• 19-02-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

I first thought maybe I had a virus and posted here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055489202

Afetr doing a bit more googling i think it may be result of windows updates that were installed. KB961260 and KB 960715 were the 2 updates installed on my laptop the day it went belly up!
    i got the blue screen and this error message: STOP: 0X0000007E {0XC0000005, 0XA77017CF, OXBA4CB478, 0XBA4CB174} when i tried to reboot after i noticed nothing was working

ive tried various solution ive seen on net but nothing has worked. a system restore wont work either. at wits end now cos last thing i wana do it re-install windows xp and lose all my stuff!

right now my laptop is not worth a crap to me...nothing works! i cant even watch a movie on it cos theirs no sound!

ive tried uinstalling the updates also but they dont seem to wana go!i cannot connect to internet also so i cannot go download any fixes or anything

can someone please help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SCD

fifib wrote: »
    I first thought maybe I had a virus and posted here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055489202

Afetr doing a bit more googling i think it may be result of windows updates that were installed. KB961260 and KB 960715 were the 2 updates installed on my laptop the day it went belly up!
    i got the blue screen and this error message: STOP: 0X0000007E {0XC0000005, 0XA77017CF, OXBA4CB478, 0XBA4CB174} when i tried to reboot after i noticed nothing was working

ive tried various solution ive seen on net but nothing has worked. a system restore wont work either. at wits end now cos last thing i wana do it re-install windows xp and lose all my stuff!

right now my laptop is not worth a crap to me...nothing works! i cant even watch a movie on it cos theirs no sound!

ive tried uinstalling the updates also but they dont seem to wana go!i cannot connect to internet also so i cannot go download any fixes or anything

can someone please help me

If you have the original windows disc then you should be ok. Put it in your pc and load it as though you were installing a fresh windows. Except when it comes to the option screen choose "Repair a previous version of XP". This should fix all of your problems without deleteing your stuff. Hope this helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

No disrespect SCD, but I have used that "In Place Recovery" as they call it many times and it has never worked once. However it may work in this case as the issue seems to be related to the downloaded update (who files you think would be overwritten by the older files on the CD).

Have you tried getting in to safe mode? Just something to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SCD

Actually I may have been wrong. Give this a read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

backup all the files u want to keep then reinstall UR OPS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i cant backup my files cos stupid Dell made it a one drive OS when i got it and i cant even connect a USB to it now.
    Anwyays not fussed bout my files anymore i just want it to work again!
    Tried re-installing the OS and still no joy - im still getting the blue screen with "Windows has detected a problem and closed etc...."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

Thats what you get for buying a dell tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jao wrote: »
    Thats what you get for buying a dell tbh
    Please refrain from posting off topic.

It's a windows software problem, singling out Dell is a bit rich. Most pc's are sold with just one user partition, unless there is an issue with drive size. Toshiba's and Sony's come with two partitions but both get wiped if you use the system restore disk so no advantage there.

Back to the original problem , it sounds like the reg is a bit duffed up.
    One option is to install a second copy of windows to a new folder instead of c:\windows, that will allow you to backup files , run malware scans and stuff and possible copy old copies of the reg files to the config folder on the other copy of windows

Advertisement