Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bearded dragon food question

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

im new to the scene my mate has one ,and gets lucusts at 5euro a box . he gets a day from this?
    i hear a frozen thawed mouse once in a while is good for this creature?
    any food info would be great and the best/cheapest place to get it joe.
    4month old one got it on here..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

They don't tend to be overly fond of prekilled food.

People don't realise that they're actually quite expensive to feed, but as for locusts, go with crickets instead. They're slightly better value for money.

A lot of people breed their own crickets or roaches etc for their beardies, something i might look into soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Locusts are going to work out very expensive.I used to get bulk crickets in the UK delivered for 10 sterling for 1000.Ill try find the site for you.

You could always try get a colony of roaches just for the beardie.

As I stated in another thread its believed that pinkies can cause fatty liver disease in Bearded Dragons hence why I never fed any of mine pinkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

how many does he have and how often is he giving them a box of locusts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭joeking

bump to the last question ? im also curious

joeking wrote: »
    bump to the last question ? im also curious

...... im asking you that question how many beardies and how old?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have 4 beardies they are fed live foods every other day - & a salad in between so today crickets 1 tub tomorrow a nice big salad with a mix of grated parsnip, carrots & courgette, mixed salad leaves (rocket, water cress, lettuce) & twice a week I sprinkle this with calcium & vitamin powder & the occasional meal worm too.

They get a few locusts twice a week but not every day as they are too fatty. Stick mainly to crickets.

i feed mine locusts and roaches. crickets stink to high heaven and i was told that locusts and roaches have a better fat to protein ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

My beardie went off crickets about six months ago, wont touch them. I get giant locusts and give them every 2 or 3 days with veg in between... he loves the locusts, the bigger the better...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

I feed mine pretty much the same way as bonds but I did give it a pinky once or twice before.It also tried to take a mouse that I was going to give to my tegu when i put it down to open the tegu tank but the mouse was way to big for it and I think it realised and gave up haha

Advertisement