Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-schools in Waterford

• 19-02-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

We'll be looking at sending our little girl to pre-school in a couple of years, and are now starting to look into where...

Does anyone here have any experience with any...or have any recommendations. We're only interested in the ones that actually resemble classrooms, so all kids will have a desk. Not the playgroup / creche kind.

I have heard there are ones in Kingfisher, Villa FC and Grantstown Park. Any thoughts on these??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

You'll be paying about 70 euro for those ones , you might be better off looking at which school you're sending the child to and enquiring if they run a pre school , its generally a lot cheaper , its in the school environment and the child wont find it such a big transition into big school because they're familiar with the surroundings and they'll have made friends that are going to be their class as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

We sent both our kids to the Montessori on Catherine Street by the fire station.

Not cheap, but they both loved going there.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

We sent both our kids to the Montessori on Catherine Street by the fire station.

Not cheap, but they both loved going there.

SSE

I sent my little one down there for a few months and had nothing but trouble. Took here out of there and honestly its the best thing we ever done. Very bad experience and would recommend you stay well away. The children's play area is tiny aswell for the amount of kids she packs in there.
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

gscully wrote: »
    I have heard there are ones in Kingfisher, Villa FC and Grantstown Park. Any thoughts on these??
    Thanks!

kingfisher the gym and villa the football club now run education classes for children???????? :confused:
    deiseff wrote: »
    I sent my little one down there for a few months and had nothing but trouble. Took here out of there and honestly its the best thing we ever done. Very bad experience and would recommend you stay well away. The children's play area is tiny aswell for the amount of kids she packs in there.
    Cant help but feel the money she makes is the main issue and not the kids welfare.

give us more detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

The woman (Susan Kennedy) that runs the one in the Kingfisher used to run the one in the Villa, she is very child focused and is a lovely warm woman. She has a very good reputation. I didn't know about her when my lads were younger but I work in childcare and have met a number of staff from different playschools/montessoris etc.

Both of mine went to playschool then montessori. The playschools have shut down but they went to Fionnula O'Regan's montessori.

Here's a link for all the listed playschools, montessoris, creches, childminders etc.

http://www.waterfordcitychildcare.com/uploads/waterford%20city%20directory%202008.pdf

Page 5 has a list of playschools attached to schools then it continues with the different types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

deisemum wrote: »
    The woman (Susan Kennedy) that runs the one in the Kingfisher used to run the one in the Villa, she is very child focused and is a lovely warm woman. She has a very good reputation. I didn't know about her when my lads were younger but I work in childcare and have met a number of staff from different playschools/montessoris etc.

Both of mine went to playschool then montessori. The playschools have shut down but they went to Fionnula O'Regan's montessori.

Here's a link for all the listed playschools, montessoris, creches, childminders etc.

http://www.waterfordcitychildcare.com/uploads/waterford%20city%20directory%202008.pdf

Page 5 has a list of playschools attached to schools then it continues with the different types.

Brilliant! Thanks a million Deisemum!

Thanks to everyone else for their input too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I meant to add that it's worth looking into playschools that are in the area near the school you plan on sending your little girl. That way she'll have her friends moving from playschool to school with her and the transition will be so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Dan133269 wrote: »
    kingfisher the gym and villa the football club now run education classes for children???????? :confused:

dont know about kingfisher but villa have for years,its in the main clubhouse but separate building attached to clubhouse if ya get my meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow just looked through that list, its a small industry these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

waterford childcare centre are opening a new montessori after easter they have been a centre of excellance before so id say the new montessori will be fab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

lollypop41 wrote: »
    waterford childcare centre are opening a new montessori after easter they have been a centre of excellance before so id say the new montessori will be fab

Wheres this suppose to be?

And to the other person complaining about a particular montessori, you never expanded on what you said, its not really fair coming on here and putting someones livelyhood down like that without proper explanation.

Montessori are a about a good education for children.

I was told alot of the ones mentioned and the people running them are very good, and its strange to hear people who normally should be competing for Children to have so many good things to say about each others creches,

My lad went to leap frog out by john's park which was good, 100 a week full time but the only negative was he was coming home wanting to be a baby again and i tried to get him in the other class he wasnt moved. but they were great otherwise.

then i went to the new creche out in Carraig an Aird but was too expensive in the end at 170 a week mind you food is all in and they were uber nice but at the end of the day thats nearly a mortgage!

Im looking at the moment to get my 3 year old in to a montessori only one left from the list i got.

Just google Child care in Waterford and youll get the list of approved creches schools pre school etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

gscully wrote: »
    We'll be looking at sending our little girl to pre-school in a couple of years, and are now starting to look into where...

Does anyone here have any experience with any...or have any recommendations. We're only interested in the ones that actually resemble classrooms, so all kids will have a desk. Not the playgroup / creche kind.

Thanks!
    Hi gscully,

I can send you a PM about Mon Amis Pre-School in Villa Clubhouse if you would like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Hi gscully,

I can send you a PM about Mon Amis Pre-School in Villa Clubhouse if you would like.

Hi Paige,

I think we're all set. One of the Villa ladies left there to start up the Little Stars in Kingfisher. We brought our little one down to have a look yesterday and she loved it - didn't want to leave. It'll be two years before she starts there, but we've only heard good things about the place, so we'll opt for that one I'm sure.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

My little one is in the Mercy pre school..it's only 8.50-12.50 though and it's 40 euro for the week which isn't bad

snuggles09 wrote: »
    My little one is in the Mercy pre school..it's only 8.50-12.50 though and it's 40 euro for the week which isn't bad

Are they good? and is there any places left at the moment? i was looking more montessori?

Im suppose to drop into one this week at the times you mentioned for 60 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Jean's Montessori school on the Lower Yellow road is excellant,
    My little girl loved it there.

j walsh wrote: »
    Jean's Montessori school on the Lower Yellow road is excellant,
    My little girl loved it there.

Really? I have a 3 year old and was on there to her about gettin him in, so youd recommend her?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Absolutely Jean and deirdre are fantastic with the kids , my little girl started in deirdre's class at just under 3yrs for a term and then went into Jean's class for the next term, she loved it in deirdre's so much we taught that there would be a problem moving class but she loved Jean even more, its really gas to see the effect that they had on her, really brought her.

Advertisement