Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landscaping

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking fro some advice on landscaping our back garden. Its quiet small around 16 x 16. Would you have any advice on how to go about designing a garden, or recommend any sites that assist?

We both have no gardening experience and are not sure where to start.

Many thanks

TB

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is gardening something you wouldn't mind putting time and effort into, or something you'd prefer not to have to bother with?
    you may find that your preferred garden would be one which requires more maintenance, so it's a balance which may have to be struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi Tracy,

You could do some initial research ie book work, or perhaps more effectively and enjoyable would be to look at some websites (including ours !)for potential ideas or style preferences?

Design criteria can be wide ranging not just aesthetics and how something looks, but an appealing and practical layout, 'compartments', focal points and exploiting perspective can all be manipulated to good effect in small gardens. Plant preferences as well preferred maintenance levels, how you plan to use the garden as an 'outdoor or living space' can all contribute or influence the ultimate design.

traceybere wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking fro some advice on landscaping our back garden. Its quiet small around 16 x 16. Would you have any advice on how to go about designing a garden, or recommend any sites that assist?

We both have no gardening experience and are not sure where to start.

Many thanks

TB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Hi

thanks for the replies. I would like something reasonably low maintenance to start of with and maybe in the future I can add more. I would like some rockery type areas. Something quite modern. I've seen some really nice heather like plants surrounded by pebbles and some nicely shaped small bushes/ trees.

Thanks
    TB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spungebob

Hi tracey,try garden-network.co.uk,for a free (basic) design program,also try smart draw2009 free landscape design program-this only lasts a week,so make the time count.best of luck.

Advertisement