Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library won't accept book donation..

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have some books I need to shed in order to declutter but my local library are not accepting any donations.Strange you might say but anyway...

I am not into giving them to charity shops as the impression I get is I am bothering them, which happened on two occasions with two different shops...

Any ideas where I can send them too, as obviously I don't want to throw them away (and I won't).

They are good books, in good quality condition and not all that old either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Depends on the books but maybe local Senior Citizens groups may appreciate them for distribution to the old folks.

Also Chinafoot is a librarian so she may be able to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

What about SVDP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

johnc24 wrote: »
    ...I am not into giving them to charity shops as the impression I get is I am bothering them, which happened on two occasions with two different shops...

Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but it is interesting that you should say that because that's exactly the same attitude that I got two recent visits to the Charity Shop in Balbriggan.

Back on-topic...
    What about local schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but it is interesting that you should say that because that's exactly the same attitude that I got two recent visits to the Charity Shop in Balbriggan.

Back on-topic...
    What about local schools?

Which one HB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Buck_Naked wrote: »
    Also Chinafoot is a librarian so she may be able to assist.

Library Assistant :p

The reason the libraries won't accept donations at the moment is purely a space issue. We simply don't have anywhere to put them. We're generally very well stocked when it comes to fiction and often will have multiple copies of novels that people want to donate. The only things we would consider taking would be non-fiction that we're lacking and novels in foreign languages. The library in Balbriggan recently got a big donation of novels in Polish, which was fantastic.

On the charity shop issue...never donated anything myself (:o) so can't comment on that. I had heard that charity shops aren't mad about taking books as they don't really sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

You could put them on Jumbletown.The website is www.jumbletown.ie Books are usually snapped up quickly on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Don't Chapters in town accept 2nd hand books and pay for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

there are a number of second hand book stores in the city centre that will buy your books, usually for a euro each, but they will only take books they know they can sell on again, so popular novels, childrens books, recent or popular non fiction, irish books, just general non crap.

then after your that you can give the proceeds to charity and feel good about yourself.

chapters on parnell st, book worms on abbey st are two places

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pithater1 wrote: »
    Don't Chapters in town accept 2nd hand books and pay for them?
    Chapters are very fussy about what they take. Usually they will only accept bestseller paperbacks and, even at that, you'll be lucky to get more than €1 each. They rarely accept hardbacks.

(You'll get more if you're willing to take a credit note in lieu of cash).

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Hi Folks

Thanks for all the replies.

I will make a decision soon on where they will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Buck_Naked wrote: »
    Which one HB?
    The one just up from SuperValu on the right as you are heading toward the Garda Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

You could take them to the Cedar Lounge in Raheny! They have a room where people bring books of all descriptions and they are sold for €1 a piece. The proceeds go to the Hospice in Raheny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

You could bookcross them! www.bookcrossing.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Some of the recycling centres have book bins - not too sure what actually happen with the books though, although I wouldn't think they'd get recycled because there are the normal paper skips (for obvious recycling) as well.

Advertisement